The key to new TT being a success

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

urmamasllama

10-29-2012

this goes for dominion as well. the biggest problem facing anything in this game that isn't SR is education. you have already implemented a tutorial game system for SR but no such thing exists for TT or dominion and that really holds the two back because they have more and more complex mechanics than SR does. the reason why people don't play or don't like new TT or dom is that they are either afraid of change or they don't understand the new mechanics. the best solution to these issues is generally education because it breeds understanding and tolerance.

I didn't really explain myself as well as i had thought
Redenbacher said it best in his post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
It has nothing to do with the level of complexity. What Riot should (needs to) do is educate on how the game should/is intended to be played.

Not because it's difficult or complex, but because it's different. I liken it to the difference between skiing and snowboarding. If you grow up learning how to ski, and then switch to snowboarding - it's incredibly challenging to scrap what you've learned and pick up something different. Because of how you've already trained yourself to cope with the challenges faced while skiing, changing how you approach those same challenges while snowboarding requires a different set of skills... yet you habitually want to apply your skiing skills to those challenges and scratch your head when it doesn't work.

Similarly, if you've spent an enormous amount of time mastering the old TT, retraining yourself to handle similar challenges on the new TT is exceptionally frustrating.

In Dominion, many SR players tried it out and applied all their SR skills rather than trying to learn something new. They became frustrated and now use it as a test bed instead of another actual game mode.

It took me a long time (years, actually) before I actually started to enjoy snowboarding. Now, I'd never look back. Unfortunately, gamers don't have that kind of mentality. They'd sooner give it up for another game before bothering to master and have fun with the new TT because the just 'don't like it'. There's nothing wrong with them, that's just the environment they've grown up in. The vocal community of gamers generally expresses entitlement towards every feature they demand of a game. If they don't get it, they rant and rave until they accept the 'deficiency', the developer delivers (very rare) or they move on to another game in the saturated market.

Enemy Commando

10-29-2012

But, as the saying goes, tolerance leads to intolerance... just a thought.

urmamasllama

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy Commando View Post
But, as the saying goes, tolerance leads to intolerance... just a thought.
Tolerance leads to acceptance

Henry Plainview

10-29-2012

I'm tired of people saying that there's something wrong with me for disliking it. I understand how TT2 works, you don't get to decide my preferences.

I do not believe TT2 or Dominion have more complex mechanics than SR. They're roughly equal at best.

Leonixxiii

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Plainview View Post
I'm tired of people saying that there's something wrong with me for disliking it. I understand how TT2 works, you don't get to decide my preferences.

I do not believe TT2 or Dominion have more complex mechanics than SR.
SR vs Dom/TT2
Apples, and oranges dude... Complexity depends on where your looking, and what kind you want... You still need a strat, good team comp, awareness of Alter timers, and positioning, as well as not doing stupid moves.

SR is not TT, is not Dom, and vice versa... That being said the OP's statement is in general, not just about you.

Henry Plainview

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonixxiii View Post
SR vs Dom/TT2
Apples, and oranges dude... Complexity depends on where your looking, and what kind you want... You still need a strat, good team comp, awareness of Alter timers, and positioning, as well as not doing stupid moves.
Oh no, I don't think TT2 is pick singed mundo darius ez mode win, and I don't play Dominion but I know there's a serious competitive scene for it, and I can never win any ****ing games on it so I know I'm doing something wrong. But it's ridiculous to say that people don't like either because of the MIND BOGGLING COMPLEXITY when SR is just as complex, if not more so, by any objective measure. I edited my original post for more clarity.

Redenbacher

10-29-2012

It has nothing to do with the level of complexity. What Riot should (needs to) do is educate on how the game should/is intended to be played.

Not because it's difficult or complex, but because it's different. I liken it to the difference between skiing and snowboarding. If you grow up learning how to ski, and then switch to snowboarding - it's incredibly challenging to scrap what you've learned and pick up something different. Because of how you've already trained yourself to cope with the challenges faced while skiing, changing how you approach those same challenges while snowboarding requires a different set of skills... yet you habitually want to apply your skiing skills to those challenges and scratch your head when it doesn't work.

Similarly, if you've spent an enormous amount of time mastering the old TT, retraining yourself to handle similar challenges on the new TT is exceptionally frustrating.

In Dominion, many SR players tried it out and applied all their SR skills rather than trying to learn something new. They became frustrated and now use it as a test bed instead of another actual game mode.

It took me a long time (years, actually) before I actually started to enjoy snowboarding. Now, I'd never look back. Unfortunately, gamers don't have that kind of mentality. They'd sooner give it up for another game before bothering to master and have fun with the new TT because the just 'don't like it'. There's nothing wrong with them, that's just the environment they've grown up in. The vocal community of gamers generally expresses entitlement towards every feature they demand of a game. If they don't get it, they rant and rave until they accept the 'deficiency', the developer delivers (very rare) or they move on to another game in the saturated market.

Peligrad

10-29-2012

SR is way more complex than the new TT. If anything the new TT is much easier than the old TT.

The eliminated the whole top of the jungle for the first half of the game, there is no warding, they removed a lot of the brush cover on bottom lane, and there are less camps and objectives in general.

The new 3v3 map isn't bad...it just is very watered down compared to the old one.

I don't mind it. I'm having fun playing it.

But I think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Leonixxiii

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligrad View Post
SR is way more complex than the new TT. If anything the new TT is much easier than the old TT.

The eliminated the whole top of the jungle for the first half of the game, there is no warding, they removed a lot of the brush cover on bottom lane, and there are less camps and objectives in general.

The new 3v3 map isn't bad...it just is very watered down compared to the old one.

I don't mind it. I'm having fun playing it.

But I think there is plenty of room for improvement.
I think that subtle complexity that everyone wishes was there in TT will come once those that want to learn have learned TT to start moving beyond the basic ebb, and flow, and into the advanced tactics we want/remember of old.

urmamasllama

10-29-2012

I think I've been misunderstood a bit I'm not saying dom or TT are actually more difficult than sr but they do have a lot of gameplay mechanics that are fairly convoluded and not well explained

Redenbacher said it best