Sportsmanship fail by Phreak. GJ Riot !

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chica the Chick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2010

Quote:
I was sat next to ReDeYe while reading this and we had a good laugh He was happy for the praise but will never be commentating LoL sadly.

So yes hello, I am Deman the "very nice british guy" as I was known throughout the weekend here in LA and the commentator alongside Phreak on stage. As MrUnHappy has kindly already shown my profile I am a director at QuadV and we are once again providing the english commentry team for WCG 2010 as we have for the last 3 years now amongst many other tournaments.

Riot asked to provide Phreak as a commentator for their game and having seen him in action we happly accepted. I understand where you are coming from with regards to the biased and we did discuss it before the final but lets face it, the event is here in LA in Riot's home town between 2 teams that have been treated like stars for the week.

They have been flown here and put up in a 4 star hotel for free, given guided tours of LA, the riot offices and many after show parties throughout the week. We have all gotten to know each other fairly well and he was just expressing that within the commentary.

With regards to the crowd chanting USA, well it's an american crowd, a big crowd at that, probably the biggest of the event which is a credit to League of Legends when Flash vs Jaedong Starcraft Semi-Finals were going on the other stage during the LoL Finals.

As far as I was concerned during the match, yes Phreak was biased but only towards getting the crowd going and injecting excitement into the slow periods of the game rather than out-right critising the German team throughout. Hell we even discussed at length how great the european tactic was in the first game and how the US team countered it.

Oh and for the record it was me an english guy that said, "It's official, US is better than Europe". If you have followed gaming at all you will know this has stemed all the way back to the early CPL days when the massive Europe vs USA gaming rivalries started and continue to this day. It's Banter basically.

In short, we all had a good laugh about the game and what happened throughout it afterwards at the after show party with all the players and entire RIOT team. As the players said in an interview which I will link shortly, their is no rivalry between the teams, their actually good friends now, the rivalry is only from the forums.
-Uumph, the other announcer at WCGs posting on EU Forums.

Source: http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/...t=47662&page=7

Near top.

Playguu

10-04-2010

I think Phreak did a great job. He made the stream entertaining during the duller moments in the game and did a great job in being informative to all the players watching. He deserves more credit than he is getting, just because of a few minutes of showing some favoritism are being focused on. He didn't mean anything by his comments and that should be evident. Please don't take so much offense to the comments when clearly there was no intent to hurt feelings.

I hope Phreak will commentate on future main events for Riot, as I see him as "The Voice" of competitive LoL, and I can't quite imagine anyone doing it better than him. I'm sure that Riot has spoken to Phreak, and that the next time he calls a game there won't be anymore controversial comments.

Valrion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2010

I don't get the QQing.. If its really that bad,
Why didn't the EU Fan's whom were there stick up for their team and voice up/argue with phreak on stage then if this is so serious and the EU commentator didn't do a fair representation.

At least that would have made it very interesting to watch and you'd have no complaints?

I Mean so you guys are basically saying that if it hadn't been phreak on that stage... It would have been different? I don't get it. Can you imagine Pendragon getting involved? lol.
or phreak vs Byronic or.. idk..

Thinking about that now, that would have been more fun to see. Two known riot employees going head to head about the game they rep. That would have been "LoL-Epic"

It's supposed to be a competitive game. I mean this is really the same thing as bashing someone for picking an evelyn in a non ladder solo queue.. I couldn't even imagine the kind of trolls there would be if it was based on HoN's very biased opinion PSRs... Dunno, I Guess I'm trying to say it could have been alot worse than it was if it was as bad as your making it out to be...

Though I think next time they should stick to the idea of two known riot employees focusing on a more joking head 2 head combat over their game. Using the actual team names and just trying to poke fun at each other prior to the match not during.

Dracorya

10-05-2010

*face palm* Old news is old.

And seriously, stop being so sensitive about it.

Jazzz

10-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthuuluu View Post
What was fail was the total one-sided domination of CLG after SK got their gimmick banned. nice to see a team going all the way to the world championship and than falling apart as soon as ONE char gets banned out from under them.
Quoted for Truth.

As to Phreak being one-sided and unsportsmanlike, give me a break.
He bashed CLG plenty of times for poor plays ( He even says at one point
that Elementz is too aggressive and they lose team fights because of it)
Anytime they were not coordinated, in say taking a turret, Phreak would say "Of course, Anivia is the best choice to tank turret shots, because THAT IS HOW COORDINATION works"

He flamed BOTH sides, not just the European side. As everyone else is saying, the EU people are butthurt because without TF, they got their asses handed to them.
Just like Phreak said, EU can't win without cheap tricks and gimmicks.

Mangetsu

10-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiaha View Post
apparently he never took a geography class
Technically, Canada is not part of the United States, U.S, but rather they just reside on the same continent North America, N.A.

Did you take Geography?

Rohan

10-23-2010

Eh... Phreak will reply soon, server status is Busy. brb.