[Champion Concept] Annalyn, the Steel Juggernaut

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Echoing

07-20-2011

Having browsed these forums for too long without really posting my own concept, I've decided to toss my hat into the ring and post my idea for our own female tank.

Literally.

My main goal with Annalyn is to make a tank that actually tanks. A taunt is almost mandatory, in my opinion, but there has to be more - some other reason to kill the tank now instead of running by and killing the carry. Keep that in mind as you read through.

Also, don't tell me you don't actually want to play a friggin' tank. I drew inspiration from this from a hero in Avalon Heroes, another MOBA game (albeit not as awesome as LoL). The hero in question was a dwarf in a tank, except instead of tanking his main job was to blow up buildings. I thought having an actual tank for a character was pretty cool. Don't you?

Appearance: Annalyn is a female yordle sporting a ponytail dressed in blue clothes poking out of her tank's turret. The tank itself looks like your stereotypical WWII era tank, colored a dark, metallic blue. Behind the turret is a rectangular pod of sorts that carries the other weapons used by the tank.

Lore: Some other time I'll edit this in. I don't feel like storywriting right now.

Stats:
Damage: 50 (+3 per level)
Attack Speed: 0.630 (+0.015 per level)
Health: 462 (+96 per level)
Mana: 180 (+30 per level)
Move Speed: 310
Armor: 20 (+3.5 per level)
Magic Resistance: 30
Health Regen: 1.1 (+0.15 per level)
Mana Regen: 1.2 (+0.13 per level)
Range: 550

Abilities:

Passive: Maintenance - Annalyn's HP and Mana regen per 5 seconds is increased by 5/10/15/20 at levels 1, 6, 11, and 16.
(The idea here is to give Annalyn some sustainability in the lane to make it easier to get the farm required. It also seems sufficiently tanky.)

Q: Breaker Blast - After charging for 1.5 seconds, fires a giant cannonball straight ahead, dealing magical damage to everything it passes through. At the end of its path, or when the spell is cast again, the cannonball explodes, dealing the damage again.
Damage: 70/110/150/190/230 (+0.2 AP)
Range: 1100
Explosion AoE: 175
Speed of Cannonball: See Flash Frost.
Mana Cost: 95/105/115/125/135
Cooldown: 12 seconds
(This is Annalyn's primary form of damage and farm during the laning phase. It's Piltover Peacemaker and Flash Frost combined, with a horribly debilitating cooldown that demands you lead your targets if you want to harass at all with it. The ridiculous base damage combined with the poor AP ratio is meant to encourage tankier builds instead of attempting to play Annalyn as an AP carry.)

W: Target Flare - Shoots a flare at a target enemy champion that sticks on them for five seconds. While the flare is active, the enemy takes increased damage from all sources of damage.
Increased Damage: 12%/14%/16%/18%/20%
Range: 700
Mana Cost: 80/85/90/95/100
Cooldown: 10 seconds
(This is one of the reasons to focus Annalyn in a team fight. CDR at max drops this to 6 seconds, meaning someone in a fight is going to be eating 20% bonus damage from everything, meaning someone is going to drop dead very soon. It also emphasizes the need of teamwork, as Annalyn's own damage is somewhat lacking beyond her rather expensive and unwieldy Q.)

E: Provoke - Taunts all enemies in a radius around Annalyn. Every enemy taunted decreases damage done to Annalyn by 5% for the duration of the taunt.
Taunt Duration: 0.5/0.75/1/1.25/1.5 seconds
Radius: 300
Mana Cost: 50
Cooldown: 14 seconds
(Tada! An AoE taunt! It obviously lasts less than Rammus's taunt, has no other side effects, and comes on a kit that has no means of reflecting damage, which is the only reason it's balanced. This should be her main means of fighting - taunting enemies off her lanemates to set up kills.)

R: Disassembler Bomb - Places a bomb at target location. After 3 seconds, the bomb explodes, dealing magical damage and reducing the armor of foes damaged by the blast by a percentage.
Damage: 150/250/350 (+0.3 AP)
Armor Reduction: 15%/20%/25%
Range: 150
Explosion Radius: 350
Mana Cost: 150
Cooldown: 5 seconds
(And here we have the REAL reason to focus Annalyn. Leaving her alone results in her bombing the HP out of your entire team, setting your team up to get mashed by her team's carry between armor reduction and her flare. The delay does give plenty of time to get out of the area of effect, meaning the bomb by itself won't do anything; it requires at least one teammate or human stupidity to set up a successful hit.)

In short, Annalyn is a tank-type champion in every sense of the word, armed with abilities that are focused primarily on assisting her teammates in earning kills. Because of this, she demands the enemy team's attention - thus serving her role as a tank. Trying to ignore her results in a bomb-flare-taunt combo that will leave a fair mark on your HP. People were QQing about Leona not doing any damage; Annalyn has a high base damage on her abilities to compensate for her poor ratios.

You might think this is broken, but keep in mind both of her damaging abilities have debilitating start-up times. It is not practical to expect to land either one without a good deal of CC. Without a teammate, she is nothing.

Anyways, first champ and all that jazz. Would love to hear constructive criticism.

EDIT LOG:

-Nerfed damage on Q, knocked .25 seconds off E's duration, 100 off the radius, and increased the cooldown by two seconds in exchange for adding damage reduction.

Aurtha

07-20-2011

I get how this champion works, you would first use your ultimate and then use Provoke ASAP so enemies around you get major damage taken to them. I imagine that Target Flare would be an initiating ability and Breaker Blast is meant for harassing and such.

Arcen

07-20-2011

You don't see a problem with 640 (+0.4 AP) AOE damage from one ability, further increased by 20%, to be a problem?

Granted its Analynn's only non-ultimate damaging ability, but thats still a significant amount.

$0.02

Liabilities

07-20-2011

what makes her a tank? the fact that if you dont kill her she will kill you? i thought that was the carries job. she has no real initiating skills and her Q seems like caitlyns Q + brands W. you say that it will be hard for harassing but considering the insane range and aoe damage it does, i dont think harrasing with this skill will become a problem.

also her taunt seems too easy. you just press E and everyone if taunted. so you could press it just before entering bush so when you enter the bush no one can attack you even if the enemy champions where waiting for you. comparing to other tanks rammus' taunt range is very small and shens is a skill shot which can taunt 2 people .. if lucky.

in the end she seems more of a nuker than a tank. she has no damage absorbing abilities.

i like the idea but if you changed the ap ratios and her role. i think she would be much better suited as a nuker like annie, brand, anivia

The Pengo

07-20-2011

why a five second cooldown?

Echoing

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcen View Post
You don't see a problem with 640 (+0.4 AP) AOE damage from one ability, further increased by 20%, to be a problem?

Granted its Analynn's only non-ultimate damaging ability, but thats still a significant amount.

$0.02
Ever play Caitlyn? Anivia? If you have, you'd know how hard it is to land those two skillshots sometimes whenever the enemy is awake. Flash Frost doesn't have a startup time, Peacemaker has a fast projectile. Breaker Blast has neither of these, making it fairly easy to dodge.

To Mr. Liabilities, she is a tank not because she can kill you (any MR makes her damage output irrelevant; building AP on her is heavily discouraged) but because she will foul up your team if you don't kill her (armor reduction, damage boost debuff), thus diverting attention away from the people that can't take a hit (your carry). You also seem unaware of Galio, whose ult is probably the most ridiculous taunt of them all and also requires a mere button press.

That said, yeah, no real way to negate damage is a bit problematic. I'll look into it. Thank you.

The five second cooldown on her ult is for two reasons: first, to make sure that just because you dodged one bomb doesn't mean the threat is gone, and second, as a sneaky way to encourage reckless spamming for unskilled players, causing mana starvation and uselessness. Even 20 MP/5 as a passive won't help you if you're out of mana in the middle of a teamfight.

The Pengo

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoing View Post
Ever play Caitlyn? Anivia? If you have, you'd know how hard it is to land those two skillshots sometimes whenever the enemy is awake. Flash Frost doesn't have a startup time, Peacemaker has a fast projectile. Breaker Blast has neither of these, making it fairly easy to dodge.

To Mr. Liabilities, she is a tank not because she can kill you (any MR makes her damage output irrelevant; building AP on her is heavily discouraged) but because she will foul up your team if you don't kill her (armor reduction, damage boost debuff), thus diverting attention away from the people that can't take a hit (your carry). You also seem unaware of Galio, whose ult is probably the most ridiculous taunt of them all and also requires a mere button press.

That said, yeah, no real way to negate damage is a bit problematic. I'll look into it. Thank you.

The five second cooldown on her ult is for two reasons: first, to make sure that just because you dodged one bomb doesn't mean the threat is gone, and second, as a sneaky way to encourage reckless spamming for unskilled players, causing mana starvation and uselessness. Even 20 MP/5 as a passive won't help you if you're out of mana in the middle of a teamfight.
lol you need to be more specific about this champions way that it hits units with abilities. this is a to over-powered champion.

Ikarikun2015

07-20-2011

Too high base damage and low ratios, even for a tankish champion. Some sugestions:

Q: reduce base damage and increase scaling: 40/90/130/170/210 (+0.4 AP)
W: Ult already increase dmg taken, change to a tank ability.
E: reduce taunt duration to 0.6/0.7/0.8/0.9/1, also make cooldown change w/ ranks: 16/15/14/13/12
R: Lower mana cost to 100, reduce damage and increase scaling: 100/175/250 (+0.5 AP)

Liabilities

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoing View Post

her Q makes her have amazing zoning abilities people will be forced to move away from it. as a result most people will tower hug if laning against her. but even when tower hugging she can harass them with her Q and not get touched by the turret itself.

i just feel her Q is too op. she could steal dragon and baron too easily with this skill while out of harms way.

as for her taunt. i think it would be better if the cd was a jst a little little bit longer and lower taunt duration just a little bit but for every champ taunted in the area she gains a certain amount of magic res and armor or something along those lines. that way she would be great at initiating. i also think you should up her ap ratios a bit and lower the damage base. many people like playing their champs different ways like ap alistar, ap yi or tank xin.

Echoing

07-20-2011

To the people who object to the low ratios, congrats. You are missing the point of the champion entirely. The ratios aren't changing, although I'm up for negotiation on the base damage.

I have never had to tower hug when fighting enemy Anivias, and getting stunned sets up her Frostbite. Annalyn does not have Anivia's ridiculous burst damage or Caitlyn's ridiculous range. If you have to run backward instead of to the side to avoid the shot, you are playing incorrectly.

It IS possible play her a different way - exploit the flare and armor reduction and go AD carry. 550 range is not an inconsiderable amount.

To Mr. The Pengo? Your post was not terribly helpful; would you like to be more specific?

To Mr. Ikarikun2015, doing so makes her one of those disgusting homogenized champions we're getting instead of the specialized champions back in the original 40. I don't like that. In addition, that would make her Q idiotic; 80 base damage at level 1 from hitting with the cannonball and the explosion is only slightly better than the damage done by Anivia's Flash Frost from either getting touched by it or having it explode on you (which stuns). The high damage is to offset the ridiculous startup time.

I'll go change the Q and E a bit. Thank you for your criticism.