Should the current match making system be changed?

Yes, I think we should allow players to select their desired roles in Draft and Ranked Mode. 112 51.85%
Yes, I think we should allow players to select their desires roles in All Modes of play. 43 19.91%
Yes, it should be changes but I have a better idea! 13 6.02%
No, it's perfect and shouldn't be changed. 48 22.22%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Turning Elo Hell -> Into Paradise (Developer Suggestion)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AdmOrian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2012

What The Problem Is:

I have been playing League of Legends for nearly a year now, and as such i'v taken a stab at ranked. Like many low elo ranked players I think I am good due to my consistently impressive scores, but unfortunately there is often that 1 guy in the lobby who won't fill the last role.

The game begins, and from the start you just know your odds are really poor. The game goes on and most of the time you wish you had dodged... again. People have come to refer to this experience as Elo hell. Where players who aren't good enough to fight real players that can adapt are permanently stuck. This is not true, if they are good they will statistically find their way out eventually.

The Beginnings of a Solution

So I begin to think, and to dream! I thought of other games that shared the same problem at one time and fixed it! That gave me hope.

I used to play World of Warcraft, a game that is both renowned and infamous. Once upon a time, you would have to dig random players to attempt to do dungeons; it was always hard to come up with that last healer or tank. Suddenly one wonderful and glorious day that disappeared and you were able to Que for dungeons, there you would select the role or roles you could play and the waiting commenced. Although it still took some time to find a match you always got the best shot you could expect from a group of 5 random players.

My Dream - A New Place to Learn and Have Fun!

In the future I hope that I will be able to log into League of Legends select a Draft type game, such as ranked or draft mode. Then I will be asked which roles I am willing to fill, in my case I prefer Top, Mid, and Jungle, after that I hit the Play button and the waiting begins.

Although I am sure if I selected to play a support I would have a shorter, probably near instant Que time. I am happy that I no longer have to debate either killing my team by playing support which I suck at or dodging Que to spare my team a long and horrible death.

In Conclusion:

I love league of legends and I think it's a terrific game because it sees the importance of hearing from it's players and improving elements that aren't condusive to a fun and toxic free environment. I believe that these changes will reduce the probability of awful match-ups, and the verbal abuse / QQing that occur as a direct result, by as much as 75-80%.

My proposal is the following:

- Allow Players to select the Role or Roles they are able and willing to play for Draft and Ranked Mode.

- Then form a Que with players using the same elo system, currently in place, to match players in the usual 50%-50% expected win ratio format. During which, it will keep expanding the match search criteria as time goes on.

- If it's determined that the new system is pairing too many people too far from their desired skill level due to the time it takes to match people, you may allow players to configure a maximum skill differential, thus giving them control over their wait time.

- These changes would not effect Blind Pick it is important for people leveling and trying out the game to be swiftly paired and occasionally placed in situations that will make them try out new roles and champions.

Thank you Riot for making a wonderful game!

~AdmOrian

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-28-2012

No. Use your search feature. This is suggested every single day. It will not be implemented.

AdmOrian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2012

Although I am sure other people have thought of this before, and may even have posted on it, I decided to make a post because I think that my format and presentation will enable people to rally and make a statement to Riot that we want this change!

I encourage you if you have an opinion on the subject to put it forward so that we can reason, debate, and find the ideal solution!

Do you believe the current system is perfect, if not what would you change?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-28-2012

But we don't want this change. And that will be the sentiment of numerous other people that come post here.

When you say "Although I am sure other people have thought of this before, and may even have posted on it" you suggest that you haven't seen any of the daily threads on this topic. I'd suggest you do a little research. Use the search bar. Find one of those threads. Read up on all the reasons why this is bad. I don't feel like reposting it all again.

If you've got a counter point that you think you can address better than how it's been address in previous threads, then re-bump your thread and explain how that's not an issue.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-28-2012

By the way, your poll (as every poll ever posted on these forums) is biased.

You're missing the option: "No, it's not perfect. However, no system WILL be perfect, so we should stick with the next best thing: the current system."

Barcode Exile

10-28-2012

Absolutely not. The meta will never change if people aren't allowed some freedom in solo q. Pro teams in tournaments already do lane switches all the time.

KnightxSScarlett

10-29-2012

Queues support - plays Rammus in mid lane.

Your idea is bad, and you should feel bad.

AdmOrian

10-29-2012

Haha. To the last 2 posters.

@SurtrDotU: People have total freedom even with Quing they can select all 5 roles and fill whats needed. 2. Since this only controls who you are paired with it is easy to lane swap if both people agree, so I don't think that's a real concern.

@Mageinta Warrior: Just like people quickly learn Quing healer in WOW and playing a DPS will cause them to wipe, people will learn Quing support and not supporting has the same outcome.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmOrian View Post
@Mageinta Warrior: Just like people quickly learn Quing healer in WOW and playing a DPS will cause them to wipe, people will learn Quing support and not supporting has the same outcome.
See, this is the problem with people who have this idea of queuing for a specific role.

In WoW, you're right. You can't complete a dungeon without a healer. But you can complete all the dungeons up to at least LK without a tank, yet the queuing system forces someone to queue as a tank.

Moreover, just look at what WoW has done with Scenarios. It's as clear a sign as any that players don't like being forced into roles.

But let's talk about LoL. You CAN win without a support. Moreover, you might make the argument that it's difficult to win without an initiator, but the fact of the matter is, you can get your initiator out of more than just one role. Solotop typically is a bruiser and perhaps your initiator, but it doesn't have to be. Sometimes your initiator is your jungler. Sometimes he might be your support.

You can win games without a jungler. You can win games with extra junglers. You don't have to stick exactly to the meta to win games, and that's the problem with a queue system for LoL.

Besides, with WoW, there are only 11 classes, and there are only 3 roles, and these 3 roles are extraordinarily clearly defined, and the content is actually explicitly designed with these 3 roles in mind.

But look at WoW PVP. You don't select your role when you queue for that. And yea, having some healers on your team can be an advantage, but there's not a set number of healers, sometimes 2, sometimes 4, whatever, but the queuing system for WoW pvp doesn't force any sort of team composition on any one.

LogicalTautology

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmOrian View Post
@SurtrDotU: People have total freedom even with Quing they can select all 5 roles and fill whats needed. 2. Since this only controls who you are paired with it is easy to lane swap if both people agree, so I don't think that's a real concern.
What if I'm duo-queuing with someone and we want to go double AP mid? In the current system, we queue for a game, and in the lobby discuss it with our team. If someone is willing to go solo-bottom, then great; if the team decides not to employ a jungler, great. On the other hand, if the team prefers a more standard composition, we don't employ such a strategy and fill 'normal' roles.
Under your system, such a thing is impossible. We are forced to pick two separate roles to fill, and so cannot both go Mid APC. What if, even, TSM and CLG realize that a jungler is actually a wasted resource in the new jungle of S3 and that it's better to go duo-top. How then does Riot decide if the 5 'SoloQ Roles' should be Top/Jungle/Mid/Bot/Bot or Top/Top/Mid/Bot/Bot?