Just hit Diamond on New 3s AMA

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ntee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

Here are another set of questions if you don't mind:

1) Can you share the masteries for each individual in your composition please?

2) I know you mentioned Olaf, Cho'Gath, and Darius being common summoner bans. In the event that someone else is first pick, what would your bans be like? (I'm assuming Lee Sin would be picked by the enemy team, if so - how would you adjust your team composition or bans)?

3) You mentioned that Wu Kong and Xin Zhao were alternative picks to Lee Sin. Is there any reason why you chose these 2 instead of someone like Olaf? Is it due to the gap closer and AoE ult damage?

4) What summoners did you each take?

5) Does anyone have any replays or footage of the games you guys played? (Perhaps, stream, LoLReplays, etc)?

6) Did the Amumu or the team try any pre-6 ganks or team fighting or did you strictly level up in lane and try to play safe vs enemy ganks until you got your ultimates?

7) Have you considered running any other compositions? If so, which ones and why?

8) Can you describe in general the kill order for who you would call out to focus? (Who does Poppy ult in this kill order - the target being focused so Poppy does additional damage to the target, presumably killing this target faster OR another person who is seemingly not doing as much damage in order to maintain better survivability?)

9) Who was the person focused most often in your team composition by enemies?

lnrael

10-29-2012

Nice job; thanks for offering your time to answer questions =)

I'm particularly interested in 2 things: wards, and turtling...

How do you feel about the lack of wards? Have you bought the lantern / sweeper to be able to see? // Do you think it would be better if wards had really small vision radii and reduced lifespans but were still available or would it slow the game down too much?

I was under the impression that old twisted treeline had too much turtling where games would last forever, but you seem to use that strat to get to late game and dominate. At what time do you lose your first turrets usually, and how long do your games last?

Goggris

10-29-2012

Hijacking thread. My team also hit Diamond last night on new TT with 19-2 record (had it on the old TT already). I could probably intelligently answer some questions if you've got any.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggris View Post
Hijacking thread. My team also hit Diamond last night on new TT with 19-2 record (had it on the old TT already). I could probably intelligently answer some questions if you've got any.

-Why is everyone banning Elise at TT? is she really that strong on the map?
-how do you feel aboout torch, well it's a strong item in general but there's a big debate wether torch is better on tanks and RoA better on Pure Ap casters or viceversa,
- did your team ignore altars as well as evil cookie's team?
-Olaf's tier, i'll be honest i'm getting facestomped by the guy unless i run Tank Warwick because only that way i can outsustain the fight., so how are the high Elos perceiving Olaf?
-If your team couldn't reach plat with the old TT but reached plat in the New what do you think was the thing that got lifted(removed) and breaked the wall you were previously stuck in then allowed you to reach plat.
-are you using anything to bypass the vision limits?, what? i know teemo is the first thing that comes to people's minds but i've been using Warwick with mild success to not be so obvious, i also know that some teams are running Jarvan because his flagpole grants vision and Maokai with the classic saplings
-Jungling yay or nay? and how to keep up with levels while junglling? i've been jungling but the first thing i notice is that i'm always 2 to 3 levels behind my team even if i'm getting fed and kills but even leveled with the enemy team, sometimes a level behind, so if you ahve a jungler how does he keep up with levels?.

Goggris

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infirc View Post
-how do you feel aboout torch, well it's a strong item in general but there's a big debate wether torch is better on tanks and RoA better on Pure Ap casters or viceversa,
-Olaf's tier, i'll be honest i'm getting facestomped by the guy unless i run Tank Warwick because only that way i can outsustain the fight., so how are the high Elos perceiving Olaf?
-If your team couldn't reach plat with the old TT but reached plat in the New what do you think was the thing that got lifted(removed) and breaked the wall you were previously stuck to allow you tor each plat.
1) We have never encountered or banned Elise, ever.

2) Torch is very strong, we almost always run it on our AP. RoA doesn't mesh well with our playstyle (too much initial cost + time to get powerful).

3) We NEVER ignored altars. We run a comp that is strong early, but we don't necessarily invade (sometimes we do if there is a clear advantage). Each altar cap is 240 gold for your team. If you give up both you've given them 480 gold and +4 gold per kill. Any chance you have to take their altar you do it. If you see the enemy top lane and bottom lane, all 3 of you rush their altar, they won't have time to react before you cap it.

4) Olaf is VERY strong, but we tried to run Jarvan as much as possible. Jarvan's ult is basically the one thing that Olaf can't break out of.

5) I'm not sure I understand the question. I previously had a Diamond team on old TT. If you are asking hypothetically, I'd say that the new map puts most people on an even playing field having to start out with no map knowledge. Run some normals, find a very specific comp that works well for you, ban out the counters, and run it in ranked while others don't know how to counter.

Lemurialol

10-29-2012

Honestly, getting diamond doesn't seem too hard. I am not bagging on you, congratz to you. I won 7 games in a row in my placement matches and got gold already. I thought gold would take A LOT longer to get. I'v played over 700 games of dominion (i know.. ppl hate dom.. i get it) and about 150 games of 5v5. Those are wins. I have played minimal 3v3's of the twisted treeline. I actually first played 3v3 when i first started league.

if you can win a lot of your placement matches, it seems you really get an edge and a fast gold/diamond.

8 games played (7 wins 1 loss) to get gold. let's be honest, gold isn't that high. I did think it took longer to get gold though. I used to take players who have gold ranking very seriously. Now that i myself have it, it feels like a joke. I am not an amazing player myself. Some team comps are still OP.

my team usually runs maokai | teemo | anivia(yes anivia)

squishies imo aren't usually viable. anivias passive and her w rly allow her to stay alive. teemos mushrooms and saplings help keep the enemy jungler under leveled and hardly able to farm. Anivia goes top always. We actually don't use jungler, though moaki and i kill them and the other teams jungle every so often.

Lastly, thanks for the insight. We will try out your team comp and see how we do! Hopefully i can get diamond too, thought i only did a few ranekd games for warrior janna or w/e that skin is. Unfortauntly, my gold badge isn't showing, does anyone know why? it says i'm gold in-game, but it doesn't show on the forums

Thanks.

Lemurialol

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infirc View Post
-If your team couldn't reach plat with the old TT but reached plat in the New what do you think was the thing that got lifted(removed) and breaked the wall you were previously stuck in then allowed you to reach plat.
-are you using anything to bypass the vision limits?, what? i know teemo is the first thing that comes to people's minds but i've been using Warwick with mild success to not be so obvious, i also know that some teams are running Jarvan because his flagpole grants vision and Maokai with the classic saplings
-Jungling yay or nay? and how to keep up with levels while junglling? i've been jungling but the first thing i notice is that i'm always 2 to 3 levels behind my team even if i'm getting fed and kills but even leveled with the enemy team, sometimes a level behind, so if you ahve a jungler how does he keep up with levels?.

Olaf, from what i have seen is a beast in 3v3 Shadow Isles. Dealing with vision, you can get teemo / jarvan / lantern item / maokai can't think of others atm. Maybe lux.

Jungling can be good if they kill a few camps then gank. You have to gank often in this map. Killing the enemy jungler is easy. The spawns are so close together that getting there is easy. Bushes are close to the spawns as well so you can suprise them fairly easy. We usually don't have a dedicated jungler, but we kill the spawns every so ofte nfor the extra exp / gold.

Goggris

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurialol View Post
Honestly, getting diamond doesn't seem too hard. I am not bagging on you, congratz to you. I won 7 games in a row in my placement matches and got gold already. I thought gold would take A LOT longer to get. I'v played over 700 games of dominion (i know.. ppl hate dom.. i get it) and about 150 games of 5v5. Those are wins. I have played minimal 3v3's of the twisted treeline. I actually first played 3v3 when i first started league.

if you can win a lot of your placement matches, it seems you really get an edge and a fast gold/diamond.

8 games played (7 wins 1 loss) to get gold. let's be honest, gold isn't that high. I did think it took longer to get gold though. I used to take players who have gold ranking very seriously. Now that i myself have it, it feels like a joke. I am not an amazing player myself. Some team comps are still OP.

my team usually runs maokai | teemo | anivia(yes anivia)

squishies imo aren't usually viable. anivias passive and her w rly allow her to stay alive. teemos mushrooms and saplings help keep the enemy jungler under leveled and hardly able to farm. Anivia goes top always. We actually don't use jungler, though moaki and i kill them and the other teams jungle every so often.

Lastly, thanks for the insight. We will try out your team comp and see how we do! Hopefully i can get diamond too, thought i only did a few ranekd games for warrior janna or w/e that skin is. Unfortauntly, my gold badge isn't showing, does anyone know why? it says i'm gold in-game, but it doesn't show on the forums

Thanks.
You realize that those first 5-10 games are by far the easiest, and that it only gets harder? I just don't think you can make a statement on how easy it is to get Diamond without even having Plat. I've gotten an infinite amount of teams to gold, many to Plat (in a day or 2), but only 2 teams to Diamond. I'm not saying its the hardest thing to do in the world, but you can't judge this based on your placement matches. The difficulty scales as you get higher.

DragnDave

10-29-2012

Haven't seen a ranked option in the new 3s. Hmmmm

Ntee

10-29-2012

@Goggris

How did you find the players you end up playing with most often?

Background info to my question and why I am asking:

I played a lot of Twisted Treeline when it first came out over a year ago. Back then a few of my WoW buddies (the game I played most often before LoL) played with me and we got to 1600-1650 (which at the time was top 25). I ended up taking a break from LoL and my friends did the same. I eventually came back and they never did. Since my return I stopped playing 3v3 and focused on SR because it was the only thing I could play solo (Ranked Solo Queue). I've never really been able to find a good group of LoL friends the same way I found friends in other games because of the way the community fosters people. I joined the 3v3 channel in an attempt to help (based on Sam's recommendation) but often, the only people willing to play with others are those who seem to be quite awful at this game. More often than not, if anyone decent asks for more people to play with, they often just ignore any requests shot their way by people like me.