What strategies are acceptable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

In league of legends, as long as you aren't intentionally throwing the game, you can use any champion, item, runes, masteries and any summoner spells you want. No matter what another player or ALL other players think, you can play the champion you prefer in the position you like, even if it isn't the position that tradition dictates.

So much of the time these days there is a peculiar lack of creativity and innovation, with more people seemingly hell-bent on surrendering when things aren't going their way. Don't let the majority decide how you play- and defend yourself when you are attacked for thinking for yourself! You don't deserve to be treated poorly by anyone. We're all here to play a game and have some fun, hopefully making friends.

When you feel the urge to criticize or question someone else's strategy or motive, please think about it for a minute, and I mean that literally. I don't mean afk for a minute, but just let the events that happened distill in your mind and you will realize without even asking them what occurred.

Tolerance. You don't have to like someone, just tolerate them.

Otherwise mute them. Default: hold tab, and left-click the little wordbubble on the right side of the score box, on the line next to their statistics and items.

Mute will resolve most problems, and report is there for people who INTENTIONALLY

INTENTIONALLY
INTENTIONALLY
INTENTIONALLY

ruin the game.

If you wouldn't bet your head on it, don't assume it was intentional.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

More of a Public Service Announcement, really.

SomeCallMeEd

10-26-2012

Yup pretty much.

I love playing Warwick but hate jungling. So I top lane him. People HATE that. Dunno why, he's real good up there! People need to learn to relax and experiment.

Sereg Anfaug

10-26-2012

If you wish to innovate, do so with your pre-made team, so you can preserve team chemistry.

If you're going to solo queue, please play the meta. Not doing so will cause conflict in champ select, and set your team up for a losing game before it even starts.

Psychology is a huge part of this game. Teamwork is critical. Don't ruin it with a troll pick. Yes, I know, it's worked for you before, and you're not doing it to troll... but please remember you're with random players, not friends who know and trust you. The meta exists for two reasons. First, because it works. And second, to provide a framework for random teams to work within.

Abandoning that framework is not conducive to good team chemistry and communication in solo queue. Please do not do it. If you really want to try, ask first, explain that you have experience with what you're doing, and if they still aren't comfortable with it, don't do it.

And definitely don't even consider that with something you haven't tested before. If you want to test a new strategy, bot games, blind PvP, and premade 5s are the proper places. Solo queue normals, and god forbid ranked, are not for trying out new things.

Edit: Warwick top isn't really too far out of meta. Warwick himself isn't really played in the champion meta, but as far as the role meta, he does work top lane. That said, if your teammates aren't comfortable with you playing warwick top, please don't do it. Preserve your team chemistry and you have a much better chance to win the game.

Killzerz

10-26-2012

I would generally follow the meta (new champs are the exception until about a month in).

Having a tanky top with some CC, mid that has CC, jungler with some CC (or some fantastic ability outside of it [only one I can think of is Shyvana)], bottom AD carry, bottom support with CC seems like the best. Being able to lock people down and have your AD carry rip them to shreds is the best lategame judging by the meta.

Also, I would surrender but only when it is clearly one-sided. 4-7 is not one sided. 2-13? Probably pretty one sided unless you are farming like madmen. I mean, you *could* win but in 98% of the cases it saves time and frustration just by surrendering.

TehomCD

10-26-2012

While I mostly agree, you do need to make sure your team is receptive to this sort of thing. Experimentation is great, but if you do something really unusual a lot of people will think you're screwing with them. Some people won't mind this too much in normals, though even there a lot of people will be touchy, but in ranked games I'd really shy away from this sort of thing unless you clear it with everyone first, even if it's something that isn't -that- unusual like support Zyra, for example.

Invisibleally

10-28-2012

There's nothing at all wrong with following tradition. Problems occur when you expect others to follow tradition.

Historically, following traditions in combat situations tend to turn out badly. Strategic value increases if a tactic that isn't expected is used. Surprise manuevers can still fail, especially if poorly planned or poorly executed, but the base premise of doing something your opponents don't expect is always a good idea to obtain victory in battle. They can't counter it if they don't know about it.

I know I'm not the only one that wants to see more crazy new manuevers in this game. You still want to coordinate with your teammates, but don't let your mind rust- try something unusual!

OhBoyItsaMegaman

10-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
While I mostly agree, you do need to make sure your team is receptive to this sort of thing. Experimentation is great, but if you do something really unusual a lot of people will think you're screwing with them. Some people won't mind this too much in normals, though even there a lot of people will be touchy, but in ranked games I'd really shy away from this sort of thing unless you clear it with everyone first, even if it's something that isn't -that- unusual like support Zyra, for example.
That's really the key. Being willing to go outside the norm and try something new is the sign of a great player. Dragging 4 unwilling people along kicking and screaming is the sign of a terrible teammate. If your random teammates in solo queue aren't receptive to a strange team comp or build, you should find a team that is. Don't force your experiment upon people who don't want it.

chaser676

10-28-2012

The meta has shifted about 3 or 4 times since the competitive scene solidified. That's not much. The current meta is designed around the optimal gold and experience spread. So yes, feel free to experiment and do crazy strategies when you have a full premade, but remember the inverse is true- you have the right to play however you want, but everyone else in the game has the right to report you when you destroy good games with stupid strategies. Because believe me, if a tribunal case shows a 1/12/4 jungle sona with a bunch of "refusing to communicate" because you've muted everyone, you're going to get (and should be) banned.

Sereg Anfaug

10-28-2012

"I know I'm not the only one that wants to see more crazy new manuevers in this game. You still want to coordinate with your teammates, but don't let your mind rust- try something unusual!"

WITH YOUR PREMADE TEAM. Not with randoms. As Had0ken said, if your "surprise" throws your teammates off as well as your opponents, then it's not going to work even if it otherwise might have, because any advantage you gained from surprise you lost by pissing off your team.

And lol @ chaser's jungle Sona... I tried that once in a bot game, just because. She has got to be the least effective jungler ever. As I said above, the meta is what it is for a reason.