Average Match Time and Game Flow Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronAegis

02-21-2013

Hello all you TT people. I'm a long time Dominion player looking to change up game modes as we're collecting a bit of a dust over there and it'd be nice to do something refreshing. After a couple hundred SR games, I decided that it wasn't for me. The games take too long, the laning phase is too long, and there are so many people raging in solo queue that the whole experience seemed rather unfun.

So, I'd like to try my hand at the new Twisted Treeline, and I have some pretty basic questions:

- Average match time?
- Super-basic rundown of the current meta (or threads that explain this)?
-Overall "fun" factor of the map? I like to be competitive and win, but I'm not a min/max always pick cheesecake tier kind of player.

Thanks!

AndersMMO

02-21-2013

- Avg. match time at high level play is 20-35 minutes MAX (I think I've had one match exceed 40 minutes ever and it was because we were intentionally stalemating for a comeback).

Meta:
AD Caster or AD Bruiser Top
Tank or Bruiser Jungle w/ CC and peeling capabilities
APC or AP Bruiser Bottom

- It's a great map that's great fun. I'm hyper competitive myself and am a min/max who will pick nothing but T1s in any serious matches. In the same vein though, norms definitely give you the chance to have some fun. I've had success playing some super cheesy stuff ( 11-2 W/L - Leona Jungle anyone?). Give it a swing and keep the derpy stuff to norms and you'll enjoy yourself

Any other questions? I'd be glad to answer

Luego

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2013

25-40 minute games. Rare for longer. I've cleared an hour in well under 1% of games. A fair bit of 15 minute surrenders.

To have fun (which usuallly involves having a reasonable chance of winning), you have to pick bruisers, or build a team around your not-bruiser.

1 top 2 bottom is still prevalent, with one of the bottoms jungling. You'll almost never see 2/1, although people say you will.

KakeManz

02-21-2013

Around 25-40 minutes I'd say (though lately ranked games seem to have been averaging 40 minutes for me)

The meta: Darius. Well.. Not completely, but generally if you get Darius and you don't win, you either got countered hard and the rest of your team can't pick up the slack or you just are no good with him lmao. But yeah, for the most part it's bruisers. A fair bit of APC champs can do okay, just have to be built with more bulk in mind, and adcs are wrecked for the most part, you pretty much need a great escape (corki, ez) Supports don't really happen at all, I once had a soraka on my team, and it wasn't the worst thing ever, but there are definitely better picks.

Also lane compisition is generally 1 top 2 bottom, or 1 top, 1 bot, 1 jungle(or roamer as some refer to it as) all depends on your play style and how you want to try and control the map.

If you like a big bruiser brawl then you will have tons of fun, and if you like seeing darius and singed banned in every game you'll have even more fun. The game has a little less focus on farming and laning, though it's still there, TT, to me anyways, is a little more objective oriented (altar control, overall map control, and vilemaw being right in the middle as to not be biased to one side). And well, if you hate ragers in solo, and play ranked I have good news for you, there is NO solo queue. That's also bad news too because it means unless you want to play with baddies/ragers/trolls all day in normal games you'll have to find yourself a team. Fortunately I was able to find mine easily since two of my good friends love the game mode almost as much as me. Also it hurts that there isn't even a normal draft pick option for 3s.

Also if you want to know more about the game mode in general and the meta check out the guides on dominatett.com they currently have two tier lists and an overall beginners guide I highly recommend it for anyone starting out on tt.

opcow

02-21-2013

in the lower level norms I've been playing, I've noticed matches stretching out to the high thirties barring a quick surrender. That said, the longer the match goes, the more likely that a team getting trounced can turn it around. Also, the matches where my team has won, I've seen that laning and farming is relatively short and roaming together as a team starts up quite early. The flow also seems to shift around depending on how aggressively the teams are competing for control of the altars as opposed to pushing lanes.
Granted, I haven't played as many games as most, so I'm not sure how accurate my observations are.

CartoonMad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2013

From what i read in your last post opcow. You hit it on the nail. grant it no games are as short as dominion. but Twisted tree line is a place where aggressive bruisers win more games than anything in there.

ADC's cost more games in the new TT than they win. And anyone who is squshy and sucks at survival and teamwork aswell usually costs games in the new tt.

Luego

02-22-2013

If you're worried about early roaming ganksquads, pick someone at least semi-mobile, with a good clear. Even if it's 3v1, if I'm able to clear the wave and dance around the tower a bit, they're not going to have much success diving me early. Even if I die, they'll lose 1 to the tower, and have no minions there to allow them to take it. And my other 2 members are gettting soloxp and freefarming, and can get there in time to deal with the incoming wave.