[Champion Suggestion] Lineph, the Mathmagus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doctor Awesome

11-04-2009

Ahoy folks! I've tried to restrain myself from suggesting champions as long as I could, but I've been working on this one for quite some time. Enjoy my loquacious diatribe!

The Fluff

Every academy has its share of famous students--perhaps some egghead alumni ended up getting an equation named after him, or maybe a particular genius discovered a new disease. But it's rather seldom that the legend of the student lives longer than the school itself.

Such was the case for the esteemed Holvran Institute of Arcana, a renowned university of its day, but now so long forgotten it's not even known what civilization founded it. It is known that Lineph was a student there, from the few surviving records--her exemplary exam scores not nearly as revealing as the corrections she made on them, informing her professors how they could have improved the questions.

She was a proponent of the somewhat radical theory of Mathmagicks--the theory that magic itself was not some wild, untamed force that can only be harnessed through sheer will, but an energy ruled by logic and laws--albeit complicated ones. Trying to simply force magic into doing what you want was crude and wasteful--by her reasoning, anyone who understood the laws would be able to tap into power beyond anything the world had seen.

We have only her word to believe--which isn't worth much, considering the kind of stories she tells--but at some point she decided to write her thesis on the subject to prove her ideas once and for all. She locked herself in her study; the staff decided it was best not to interrupt her--and a lot quieter with her gone, anyway. Days, months, years passed, and eventually people just forgot about Lineph.

It wasn't until untold generations had passed that the doors to that study had finally opened and Lineph stepped out to the crumbling ruins of the once shining academy, grinning ear to ear. She had Solved it. She Knew the secret. With this answer, anything else--everything else--would be mere arithmetic...

She looked at the crumbling, war-torn world, shattered by the reckless, messy magic she had always disdained. The magic that she now knew to be inferior, compared to what she had Discovered. All she saw before her was yet another problem... but she knew she had the Solution--and upon the Fields of Justice, she would educate the world.

Appearance: Very thin woman of average height, long hooded cloak, faded and tattered at the edges. Short, messy brown hair, large thick glasses, and a wry smile. An abacus hangs at her waist, and wields a lightly-colored wooden staff with an angular device at its head, looking somewhat like a drawing compass. She wears a belt carved with various simple symbols, and has unusually heavy boots.

Taunt: "Beating you will be so simple, I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader!"

Joke: "A dozen a gross and a score/Plus three times the square root of four/Divided by seven/Plus five times eleven/Is nine squared, and not a bit more."

Random Voice Clips:

• "Your number is up!"
  • "You can count on it!"
  • "Logically!"
  • "QED!"

The Stats

Health: Low
Attack: Moderate (Low damage but somewhat high attack speed, ranged)
Spells: Very High
Range: 510~550 (Fires a strange, angular beam or something)
Speed: 310
Difficulty: High
Role: Nuker

Passive: Sequence Spell
Whenever Lineph deals magic damage to an enemy champion, that champion takes an additional 5 damage whenever they take magic damage for 5 seconds (stacks up to 4/6/8 times.)

The Skills

Q: Vector Shock
Activate, then click on 3 points on the battlefield. A thin wave 500 distance long travels from Lineph to each of those points in succession, dealing 50/60/70/80/90 (+.35 AP) to each enemy it intersects and slowing them 15% (stacks up to 3 times.)
80/90/100/110/120 Mana, long cooldown (12~15 seconds)

W: Potential Field
Activating causes a shimmering sphere to begin expanding from Lineph. When the sphere reaches maximum size or when you activate again, the sphere becomes a lethal energy storm, dealing between 30/55/70/95/120 (+.3 AP) and 10/20/30/40/50 (+.2 AP) damage per second to enemies in range (damage decreases with increasing size.)
100/110/120/130/140 Mana, moderate cooldown (8~10 seconds)

E: Zero Sum
Deals 70/110/150/190/230 (+.75 AP) damage to target enemy. That enemy's armor and magic resist are reduced by 10/14/18/22/26, and all buffs to their movement speed, attack speed, attack damage, AP, armor, magic resistance, critical hit rate, or critical hit damage have no effect for 6 seconds. Other effects of those buffs and direct buffs from equipment remain.
100 Mana, very long cooldown (18~20 seconds)

(Note: I think this deserves a quick explanation. I mean to say, any numerical bonuses they're getting that aren't just the stats on their items, have no effect for 6 seconds--for example, if Tryndemere activates Undying Rage, giving him 9 Bloodlust stacks, he wouldn't get the attack speed or crit rate bonus from Bloodlust, but he would keep the "can't be killed" part. If he had a Stark's Fervor, the aura wouldn't affect him, but it would affect his allies; he would only be getting the base item stats.)

R: Number Crunch
Passive: The mana costs of your spells are reduced by 10/15/20%. Active: For 8/10/12 seconds, Vector Shock cools down in 3.5/3/2.5 seconds, Potential Field is always at maximum size and damage, and Zero Sum silences enemies for 1.5/2/2.5 seconds. In addition, Lineph and nearby allies gain the passive benefits of Number Crunch.
(75 Mana, moderate cooldown (90~120 seconds)

Tips and Tricks

• If you get close to an enemy, you can line up Vector Shock to repeatedly strike them for large damage and a large slow.
  • Vector shock can be used to rapidly kill large numbers of minions by criss-crossing them repeatedly.
  • Once an enemy is slowed by Vector Shock, it can be easier to hit them with a small Potential Field to inflict high damage.
  • Watch the enemy carefully to see what buffs they tend to have, or if a particular character tends to have powerful buffs, then use Zero Sum to remove their best buffs.
  • Make sure you have plenty of mana when you activate Number Crunch--even with its cost reductions, you can still run out of mana quickly!
  • Once you've used Number Crunch, use Vector Shock and Potential Field to rapidly rack up bonus damage from Lineph's passive.

The End

I don't really have any explanation for this other than the fact that I thought the idea of a math-themed champion would be cool, as well as one with bizarre, hard-to-use abilities. Comments/suggestions/etc, lemme have 'em!

The Edits
4 Nov: Edited Vector Shock to always hit 3 points rather than a scaling number; damage scales instead, and slow increased; Altered Zero Burst to not strip buffs, but just make them do nothing for several seconds; Mana costs added; Blank for passive added; voice clips added.

7 Nov: Edited Zero Burst--now specifically removes numerical buffs to primary stats, but does not strip secondary special effects (e.g. Tryndemere's Undying Rage would keep him from dying, but he wouldn't get attack speed bonus from Bloodlust.) Removed extra buffs on Minus Form. Added passive.

8 Nov: Edited W and E, completely reworked ultimate. Renamed some skills. Formatting changes. Added detailed explanation for Zero Sum.

Drake O Dagger

11-04-2009

This forum needs to keep you logged in for more than 10 minutes if you aren't active -_- I'd much prefer if I didn't have to relog in EVER rather than every time I stop talking here to work on something else. Anyway, now that I've ranted about losing everything I typed because I got logged out, this is a pretty nice character. Definitely on par with my own out-of-the-box characters. I'd definitely try it out, though you should give actual mana amounts. Haven't read the lore or appearance thing yet, since I"m about to go to bed, but I'll get to them later. Good job though.

Bananers

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-04-2009

vector shock has to be my favorite ability for this character.

tentaclehentai

11-04-2009

Oh god, it's like final fantasy tactics all over again.

I think they'd have to limit what her purge drops, seeing as if it blows off stuff like Trynd's ult...

yeah.

Still sounds like fun.

Doctor Awesome

11-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaclehentai View Post
Oh god, it's like final fantasy tactics all over again.

I think they'd have to limit what her purge drops, seeing as if it blows off stuff like Trynd's ult...

yeah.

Still sounds like fun.
Oh no, I'm not crazy--there will be no "Level 3 Death" hijinks around here.

However, I am crazy in that I would be ok with it being able to strip Tryndemere's ult--so far, it seems the design balance in play right now is, if you're the only character who does X, you get to do X better than anyone else. Making her the only buff-stripper, as powerful as that can be, puts her in a niche role--if you're up against other nukers, you're probably not going to get that much use out of it, but against DPS's who tend to have potent buffs, or support characters, you'll be quite effective. Note that this temporarily even stops item auras like Stark's Fervor from applying...

That said, I think I might revise a few of these skills. As much as I like complicated skills, if I want this to be taken seriously, I'm going to have to tone it down a little--K.I.S.S design philosophy.

RamboBatman

11-04-2009

I like the concept, both vector shock and number crunch are interesting because they utilize unique mechanics. Were you thinking that Vector Shock's lines would appear as you pick points or only after you've selected them all? Also, I like the idea of a buff stripper but, it just can't remove Tryndamere's ult. Undying Rage is Tryndamere so Zero Burst would pretty much be a regular ability that hard-counters an entire champion. No matter how specialized a champion is, allowing one ability to render another champion useles will unbalance the game.

tentaclehentai

11-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Awesome View Post
Oh no, I'm not crazy--there will be no "Level 3 Death" hijinks around here.

However, I am crazy in that I would be ok with it being able to strip Tryndemere's ult--so far, it seems the design balance in play right now is, if you're the only character who does X, you get to do X better than anyone else. Making her the only buff-stripper, as powerful as that can be, puts her in a niche role--if you're up against other nukers, you're probably not going to get that much use out of it, but against DPS's who tend to have potent buffs, or support characters, you'll be quite effective. Note that this temporarily even stops item auras like Stark's Fervor from applying...

That said, I think I might revise a few of these skills. As much as I like complicated skills, if I want this to be taken seriously, I'm going to have to tone it down a little--K.I.S.S design philosophy.
True enough. I don't really play Trynd anyway so a niche character that can screw him royally would amuse me to no end. But would it strip FEAST?

I want a snickers.

Idontlive

11-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Awesome View Post
Q: Vector Shock
Activate, then click on 3 points on the battlefield. A thin wave 500 distance long travels from Lineph to each of those points in succession, dealing 50/60/70/80/90 (+.35 AP) to each enemy it intersects and slowing them 15% (stacks up to 3 times.)
80/90/100/110/120 Mana, long cooldown (12~15 seconds)
I want this nao....

Doctor Awesome

11-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboBatman View Post
I like the concept, both vector shock and number crunch are interesting because they utilize unique mechanics. Were you thinking that Vector Shock's lines would appear as you pick points or only after you've selected them all? Also, I like the idea of a buff stripper but, it just can't remove Tryndamere's ult. Undying Rage is Tryndamere so Zero Burst would pretty much be a regular ability that hard-counters an entire champion. No matter how specialized a champion is, allowing one ability to render another champion useles will unbalance the game.
The way I see it is, the points appear as you click on them--even to enemies--and after you've clicked all three, the lines draw. The quirks are, enemies might have time to dodge if they see the points and react quickly, and the line has a little travel time (but still quite quick) so there's some time there, too. I changed it so that you don't have limited room to click anymore, but the lines are always exactly the same length, just to prevent someone from triple-clicking the same location to get all three shots right there.

I considered having the damage scale with the length of the line, but figured this was the more elegant, simple solution, as it can now have Flash's targeting functionality (i.e., click on a location, the line goes in that direction, not to that location.) I think this would make such a skill more useable when you're in a hurry and don't have time to do something clever, while also avoiding the clickspam as previously mentioned.

With regards to Zero Burst, as much as I hate Tryndemere, I guess you're right--there are plenty of people who love Tryndemere, and it's just not right to screw them out of their fun, much less screw the balance. Perhaps self-buffs are exempted, so things like Undying Rage or Insanity Potion don't get screwed over--that'd be easier than having it not work on Ultimate buffs.

Drake O Dagger

11-04-2009

Most buffs I can think of off the top of my head are self-buffs, so making it not work on those is kind of pointless IMO.

I have an idea for a passive, but its mostly a joke idea not meant to be taken seriously. Ironically, the more I think of it, the more I come up with ways to make it actually something doable.

When you die, a random math question appears on your screen (either on a part of the screen itself or in the chatbox), You have until you revive to type /math followed by the answer. Based on the type of problem, you get a different effect.

Addition: The next friendly target you click gains health equal to the answer. (Answers to this question will scale by level. Min 50 at level 1, max 300 at level 1. Min 300 at level 18, max 800 at level 18.)

Subtraction: The next enemy target you click takes damage equal to the answer. (Answers to this question will scale by level. Min 10 at level 1, max 100 at level 1. Min 200 at level 1, max 500 at level 18)

Multiplication: The next friendly target you click has a random trait increased by a percent equal to the answer for a number of seconds equal to 1/4th the answer, rounded up. (Basically, it will randomly pick, without telling you, a trait such as Health, dodge, crit chance, movement speed, armor, or something. Then it will increase that trait by a percentage when you click a target. Scales 1 min level 1, 20 max level 1, 20 min level 18, 200 max level 18. This means at Level 18, you could potentially triple a single stat, even a person's health.)

Division: The next enemy target you click has a random trait decreased by a percent equal to the answer for a number of seconds equal to half the answer, rounded up.. (Same as above, but min 1 at level 1, 10 max at level 1, 10 min at level 18, 100 max at level 18. A target with health reduced to 0 by a 100% reduction is instantly killed.)

Addition and Subtraction should show up a more often than Multiplication and Division.

EDIT: Also, could you comment on my newest Champion, Escrima, the Twin Storm?