Idea for a new Dominion Mechanic [Node Reset]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jetsetradi0

10-25-2012

After playing a good amount of dominion, I feel I have come up with an idea that would give teams who are getting steamrolled a glimmer of hope.

When one team has thoroughly dominated another (either do to champ composition or skill, often both), there seems to be little to no recourse. This is especially true when one team gets an ACE. the surviving team will usually cap 4 if not all 5 points.

the new Idea: Allow each team to reset all 5 points to neutral once per game. The conditions which must be met in order to do this would be as follows: your team must have less than 300 points remaining and 4/5 members of your team must be at their startpoint (the crystal) in order to click on the crystal to cast the mass neutralization. The cast time would take 3-5 seconds and would be channelled just like capturing a point.

The point of this would be mostly to recover from massive teamfight losses. It would not be able to change the outcome of the initial windmill fight as one team would need to dip below 300 points, therefore it couldnt be used before the 5 min mark in most cases.

LordofNarf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

This would not be a useful mechanic in the game. Dominion is already much more loser-advantage than classic mode is, due to death timer reduction based on nexus health. Furthermore, creating a system that smoothly gets all teammates to agree to this and use a tactical maneuver at the right time would be too difficult and confusing to implement.

Further, neutralizing all points when all the team members at at their own nexus would not be particularly useful, because the enemy team would be on the map, and would immediately take advantage of the open map to rapidly regain or even increase their control.

Jetsetradi0

10-25-2012

I disagree that neutralizing all of the points would increase the enemy team's control. The situation i envision which would induce a team to use the mechanic I described would be one in which the losing team is pinned in their base by the enemy. in these situations it is nearly impossible for the losing team to venture out and even retake their closest turret as the enemy no longer needs to roam or defend, only to kill.

The reset is not designed to allow the losing team to cap a majority right away, it is designed to make the enemy team LEAVE the losing team's base in order to recap points to retain their advantage, thus allowing the losing team breathing room to group up and take back at least 1 if not 2 base turrets (mid and bottom respective to their start).

This mechanic is not designed to turn a loss into a win in ost cases, but is designed to give a clearly beaten team a chance to organize and hopefully outplay the enemy. we have all been in games where teams FINALLY get their act together and win even though they had 3 nexus HP left to the enemy's 350. This just makes that transition a little more likely, though still not very.

Hamm3rhand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

Well, an interesting idea, but i don't think it would be that useful. If the enemy is already beating you so much that they have a 4/5 cap, then they are already going to be spread out through the map or at least closer to the points than you are, and so i think this might get you one point back. Not to mention that all they have to do is disrupt the channel on one of your people to stop the activation. This also brings up some problems with coordination with teammates running off/dying before the channel can happen.

now, something i could also see being interesting is what if, above say the 100 nexus health marker that have now anyway, that you could go channel on the enemies nexus (stand in the lane directly outside their fountain, to drop points off their nexus directly? That would cause a huge shift in strategy, even more so than the discussions about changing the storm buff and such.

Orphane

10-25-2012

Losing teams do not really need any more mechanics to "come back" from a disadvantage considering how goddamn stupid wave respawn and point difference affecting respawn timers already are.

urmamasllama

10-26-2012

this sounds like something directed at lower level play where five caps happen every other game. this mechanic would just wind up being a level of complexity that lower elo players don't notice thus it won't help them. the problem is lack of knowledge of the game mode. and the thing is in higher level play something like this wouldn't be needed because 5 caps rarely happen and if we were to use this in a 4 cap scenario chances are it wouldn't help much if any and would take longer to recover than just doing what we normally would.

Infirc

10-26-2012

man i've coe back from 45 to 358 i think and have had enemy teams defeating my team with a great 5 to 300 comeback or somethig like that.
i won't say Dominion doesn't have snowballing but snowballing in Dominion is as rare if not rarer than a comeback on summonner's rift. and current dominion mechanics already allow for comebacks as it is.
maybe not the ability to reset a point but something like a counter garrison (Long cd, doesn't directly neutralizes but still deals a ton of damage to a turret, but oly a yuret, not all the points).

Shukarhazh

10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsetradi0 View Post
After playing a good amount of dominion, I feel I have come up with an idea that would give teams who are getting steamrolled a glimmer of hope.
Stopped reading here. Dominion games are already generous with comeback opportunities. Kills stop hurting your nexus at 100 health and below, so even if the losing team only has 2 nodes to 2 nodes and can keep one neutralized, even kills will help them. Plus, respawn timers are shortened for the team with less nexus health, again making even kills give the behind team an advantage. Plus the passive gold and exp gain makes it rare for anyone to get behind more than a level, which in Dominion is less bad than you might think.

tl;dr Steamrolled teams already have more than a glimmer of hope.

Suppose I should at least read your post now... >.>

Jetsetradi0

10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmamasllama View Post
this sounds like something directed at lower level play where five caps happen every other game.

This is actually exactly the group I was intending the change to help. I feel like people of a higher level of play often forget that by definition the majority of players are not high ELO (otherwise it would be average ELO).

I feel that this mechanic would have VERY little impact on high level players, as has been stated by several posters, but COULD help lower level players. Not everything needs to be made for high level players.

Galgus

10-26-2012

The game mode already has enough rubber banding to force a winning team to play smart- any more would just hurt the competitiveness of the map.

As far as lower level players go, while it is good to consider them, it is not worth ruining the game for the upper levels.