AD vs ArP Runes on Riven.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stark Midnight

10-26-2012

So it seems to be normal that people take all AD runes on Riven instead of armor penetration. However it also is pretty basic knowledge that armor penetration increases damage more then AD.

The only ability of Rivens that doesn't scale with ArP is her shield. Her ultimate scales with armor penetration because ArP increases all damage, which includes the bonus damage your getting from your ult, as well the bonus damage from your passive runic blade.

So is her shield so important that i should switch to AD runes or just keep my ArP runes.

Elodin

10-26-2012

You can use either. AD gives a stronger early game and better last hitting, ArP helps later. When I play Riven I usually play her as a jungler and she needs all the help she can get early on because she needs early kills to snowball.

Ice Mage

10-27-2012

Why people choose flat damage is that her passive is based of 50% of her bonus AD, so when you engage your bonus damage from the passive will do more. Hope this help understand their perspective

Elodin

10-27-2012

Could have sworn her passive is 100% of bonus AD

Mr Ferpleton

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elodin View Post
Could have sworn her passive is 100% of bonus AD
It was, but they really tries to need her. On Solomid, it says she does, but she doesn't.

Elodin

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ferpleton View Post
It was, but they really tries to need her. On Solomid, it says she does, but she doesn't.
Right you are, just checked in game.

SteliosV

10-27-2012

I will start out with a few quotes containing my previous response to a similar question, as well as some other useful information. Don't want the wall of text? Feel free to skip to the end.

Quote from DxpanxD which is an excerpt from http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-leg...ne-pages-guide

Quote:
Attack Damage vs Armor Penetration Marks
The Pros and Cons of Each

There is lots of debate and questions regarding the use of Attack Damage or Armor Penetration Marks in a rune page. The AD rune pages on this page all feature Armor Penetration as I believe they are better for the majority of the readers coming to this page. I strongly recommend reading this official Riot staff post on the matter over at the League of Legends forums.

The pros and cons are also discussed below, I recommend newer players stick with Armor Penetration but intermediate and advanced players should definitely consider Attack Damage.

Benefits Of Armor Penetration Marks

Required in most jungle rune pages (6 runes needed) to optimise jungle speed.
Also needed in most brusier (solo top laners), making it a great way to save IP.
Stronger mid-game damage (level 5+).
Good for skills that deal physical damage but scale with Ability Power.
Great for physical spells with high base values but lower attack damage ratios (alot of brusiers).

Benefits Of Attack Damage Marks

Easier last-hitting (great if you have trouble).
Stronger damage early game (level 1-4) .
Great for spells that scale from AD but deal magic damage.
Great for aggressive players.

My follow-up Response
Quote:
The above is all good information, but it all comes down to your skill level and general mechanics. For example, I prefer running +15 armor penetration and +6.8 Attack Damage on my AD Carries, but that is only because I know I won't miss many last hits due to it. While this doesn't affect my farm by any significant amount, it will allow me to out-trade more effectively, as once you hit level 3-5, the armor pen runes do more damage directly to champions than you would with flat AD.

My advice to you is to observe your own playstyle. If you have trouble last hitting and are underfarmed/losing in cs consistently with armor penetration runes, then you should probably switch to flat AD. It is simply not worth a huge loss of early game income. As you get more experienced, or practice last hitting more, feel free to throw in those Armor pen runes, as everyone agrees they are better for mid to late game.

There's also some situational champs where Armor Penetration is just better. Fiora comes to mind, if you plan to play her. I run +25 Armor Pen. on her, simply for the fact that she gets +15 passive AD from her skillset. As you can imagine, this wlll lead to a ton of damage. If you need more information, feel free to provide us with some more information, like which champions you will be playing, etc. You can also contact me in game if you'd like.

While all of the above is certainly true, I feel with Riven it is Best in Slot to go with flat attack damage runes. That amazing scaling is too much to pass up, on top of the extra health from her shield, passive damage, etc. A common workaround for some early armor penetration is to grab a brutalizer early game. This, combined with your AD Runes and possibly a Doran's Blade, will give you some pretty serious damage on most enemy top laners.