The (Semi-Ruined) Ruins of Kritus (Open RP)

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaelhound

05-02-2014

Kritus was once a small border-town in Demacia. It's citizens were fiercely devoted to Demacia, her cause, and the defeat of Noxus. Her garrison, consisting mostly of a militia, was highly trained, highly disciplined, and both it and the town were ruled by it's Lord and Lady, Victus and Dandreia Mortearma.

The hatred that the people of this town held for Noxus, while equal only to their lyalties to each other and to Demacia, was largely fueled by the constant skirmishes between Noxian warriors and their own soldiers, at the cost of many lives. One warrior who was hated in particular was Sion. Now take note, this was before Sion was executed. When he was captured they paraded him throughout the town, laughing, jeering, and generally mocking him. So, when he was resurrected, he attacked the town. By himself. Little is known of what happened that day, but when the scouts from Central Demacia arrived a week later, they found the Garrison still doing battle with Sion, Victus and Dandreia at their head. Any time one would fall, chopped cleanly in two, their bones would knit back together, though not their flesh.

Eventually, under a temporary banner of truce, the Demacian and Noxian forces in the area were able to separate the combatants. When they learned that their families had escaped safely, the soldiers, as well as Victus and Dandreia, appeared to breath a collective sigh of relief, and collapsed. After much discussion the two sides were able to come up with something resembling a theory. They figured that perhaps a mixture of the still rather unstable necromantic energies still oozing from Sion, coupled with their fervent devotion, had caused them to, at least temporarily, turn undead.

The soldiers were buried with full honours, though some in Demacia disagreed with this due to their undeath, however temporary. Kritus was left to the elements, and has deteriorated to a bunch of barely recognizable ruins on a small hill surrounded by forest. But now Victus, Dandreia, and their army are back, and they are looking to wrench their town back from ruin, much as necromancy has done to them. They have a workforce that doesn't sleep, a forest full of trees ready to be turned to timber, and all the time in the world. So I ask you, can they fix it? Yes, yes they can.

To someone entering the area around Kritus it would appear to be just another forest. There appears to be an old cobblestone road leading north through it, though it is worn down by decades of weather, and large portions are overgrown or blocked by fallen trees. If one listens very closely they can hear the sounds of construction in full swing. As they venture nearer they may begin to hear it more easily. If they are particularly perceptive they may notice a lack of animals in the area aside from carrion-feeders, though these are also few.

If they follow this road almost all of the way to the town, perhaps about two-hundred metres (about 650 feet for those of you unfamiliar with metric) outside they will be stopped by a pair of heavily armoured guardsmen wielding tower shields and a spear in their hands, with a shortsword or club on their waist. Their voices would sound quite raspy and echo loudly in their armour. If someone were to reach this same distance off of the main road then they might hear voices asking them to halt and state their business, though it may be difficult to pinpoint these voices. If they do they may find a number of talking skulls hanging off of the branches above them.

If they are allowed within the town they would first walk through a large, heavy, wooden gate bound with iron and surrounded on either side by tall, immaculate stone walls. They themselves would then see skeletons wearing either armour or civilian clothing going about the daily chores of any other person. Some might be building things or carrying materials. Others would be fixing tools, weapons and armour. There may even be a few bargaining with desperate, but still quite alive, merchants.

The buildings would look like ones you would find in any Demacian town, though many would be under construction, and many more still in ruin. The only thing that would appear out of place would be the large boneyard next to an old ruined keep, the boneyard filled with what appear to be the skeletons of animals and things buried here long ago. They may even be there to see Victus sitting in the middle of the boneyard, what appears to be particles of dust floating from the bones into his coffin. This is the town of Kritus. If you are good, strong, and not too disturbed by the majority of the population being skeletons, you are welcome here. If you hold allegiance to Noxus, are disloyal, or are looking to cause trouble, then be wary, for you are most definitely not welcome.

((Hey, so this is the home of my characters Victus and Dandreia, links for if you didn't use the ones at the top. Anyone interested in roleplaying here is welcome, it is an open rp after all. Just a few housekeeping rules. While I appreciate that it does bump the thread I would prefer that OOC-only posts be kept to a minimum, though any questions you have that you can't easily ask with your character are welcome. I would like it if not TOO many people would try to come in and purge my town of it's undead, though it's always rather fun to pick at an over-zealous character's expectations of zombies and skeletons. Mine mean nobody too much harm, I swear. At some point I may work on some way to actually record the materials and progress of the town, similar to how Goau is doing his "The Legend's Forge"))

Kaelhound

05-03-2014

Victus sat in the middle of the boneyard, extracting what power he could from the numerous skeletons to make sure he kept himself, and his people, in the correct amount of pieces. He could tell, instinctively almost, that the latest haul wouldn't last them too long. They needed a way to mask their presence from the numerous animals which had inhabited the surrounding forests prior to their arrival. The only ones which would stay around were some brave predators and desperate scavengers. Rats had become a particular nuisance, though not because they stole food, so much as because they stole things like fingers and toes, which required more bones to replace.

"Huh. Now it sure would be great if, by some random occurrence, there happened to be, saaaaay, a random flock of birds, like an ENORMOUS flock, flying over that would randomly drop dead." Victus proclaimed to the open air, almost as if he expected, however briefly, for just that to happen.

"Yeah, I didn't think so. Ah well, a guy can hope, can't he?" He replied to himself, sitting in the midst of a rapidly disintegrating mound of bones. And he sat there. For a long, loooooooong time, getting really quite bored. So he decided to go for a walk around town and see if anything interesting was happening, his armour announcing his arrival moreso than anything else.

((So yeah, shameless self-bump here. Besides, what else am I to do at 2:34 am? Sleep? Phhht, sleep is for the weak. Anyhow, I see that the thread has gotten at least a few views, so that's nice, though it'd be nicer if someone were to post. Nudge-nudge, hint-hint. Yep. Success right here. Mind you, it's only about 5 hours old at this point, I could probably do to be a bit more patient. I think I'm rambling, aren't I? Okay, definitely time to sleep.))

Necromonger

05-03-2014

Kristus Road, Night Time

"Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees, and marmalade skies..." On the lonely Kristus Road a female voice sang to herself as she drove a carriage, pulled by a giant Ionian Bear Dog, a furry creature the size of a large horse. She reaches the gates.

"Halt. State your business." The guards stop the carriage, seeing the woman who was driving it, wearing a traveler's robes... and the dog. They hesitate a moment to approach, as the thing sniffed in their general direction. Ooh boy, bones!

"Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kaleidoscope eyes..." She continues singing, pulling on the reins to make her carriage stop.

"I said, state your business." The skeleton guard stated again, getting the nerve to come up beside the driver. The other guard nervously eyed the bear dog, thinking that was a really, really big dog.

"Business? My business is business." She answered quite cheekily, pulling back her weather hood and smiling. The woman was an Ionian lady with deep, dark eyes like the night sky.

"Are you mocking us, traveler? We do not suffer fools here in Kristus." The guard retorted, not really taking particular interest in the woman.

"No. I mean I am a merchant of many assorted wares, seeking a friendly town to stay and pass the night. Your voice seems rather off, guard. I have throat medicine. Crushed Ionian herbs and the like..."
She explained, offering a paper bag of medicine.

"Hnnn... medicine? thank you, but I do not need it. Go in then. You might not be able to sell all your wares, but you're welcome to try..." By now her giant Ionian Beast-Dog was panting at the guard. something about the people seemed to get the beast's attention. "...And keep your giant canine under control."

"Thank you. Let's go, Suchong." The Giant Bear Dog thing gleefully obeys, pulling the cart into the town... and seemed quite delighted at all the bones! The townsfolk seemed a bit worried, as a massive bone loving canine was eyeing the citizenry...

Kaelhound

05-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromonger View Post
Kristus Road, Night Time

"Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees, and marmalade skies..." On the lonely Kristus Road a female voice sang to herself as she drove a carriage, pulled by a giant Ionian Bear Dog, a furry creature the size of a large horse. She reaches the gates.

"Halt. State your business." The guards stop the carriage, seeing the woman who was driving it, wearing a traveler's robes... and the dog. They hesitate a moment to approach, as the thing sniffed in their general direction. Ooh boy, bones!

"Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kaleidoscope eyes..." She continues singing, pulling on the reins to make her carriage stop.

"I said, state your business." The skeleton guard stated again, getting the nerve to come up beside the driver. The other guard nervously eyed the bear dog, thinking that was a really, really big dog.

"Business? My business is business." She answered quite cheekily, pulling back her weather hood and smiling. The woman was an Ionian lady with deep, dark eyes like the night sky.

"Are you mocking us, traveler? We do not suffer fools here in Kristus." The guard retorted, not really taking particular interest in the woman.

"No. I mean I am a merchant of many assorted wares, seeking a friendly town to stay and pass the night. Your voice seems rather off, guard. I have throat medicine. Crushed Ionian herbs and the like..."
She explained, offering a paper bag of medicine.

"Hnnn... medicine? thank you, but I do not need it. Go in then. You might not be able to sell all your wares, but you're welcome to try..." By now her giant Ionian Beast-Dog was panting at the guard. something about the people seemed to get the beast's attention. "...And keep your giant canine under control."

"Thank you. Let's go, Suchong." The Giant Bear Dog thing gleefully obeys, pulling the cart into the town... and seemed quite delighted at all the bones! The townsfolk seemed a bit worried, as a massive bone loving canine was eyeing the citizenry...
The townsfolk, having had enough troubles with other animals trying to take their bones, gave the... thing, plenty of space. A little ways down the main street a loud clanging could be heard, as Victus strode down towards the commotion, his armour loud as ever.

"Greetings traveler! Not many come this way, unless by invitation. Most are a bit... unnerved at the sight of us to say the least. Though I understand why your dog would be less so. If you can, please do keep him under control. We have enough problems with rats stealing fingers and such, we don't need people walking around without arms or legs." Victus rasped, giving the dog some space, despite his plate-mail.

"So what brings you here? Trade? Or do you just needed a place to stay for the night? We do have an inn, though I regret to inform you, it's a tad bit bare. As you can no doubt see, we're still undergoing construction, though it's going a bit faster seeing as we don't need to sleep. But it does have beds and food, and there is a fire pit in the central hall." Victus continued, "Oh, and if you could make a particular effort to keep your pet away from the boneyard over by the keep, that would be great."

Necromonger

05-03-2014

The Lady greets Victus with a curt nod. He gave his warnings, worried clearly about the Ionian bear dog... and not the mysterious Ionian wuju wizard. "Don't worry! Suchong is a well behaved friend. Isn't that right Suchong?"

Suchong gives Ling a couple of friendly, affirmative barks. For someone his size, the creature's bark was certainly very strong, and a bit surprising for the unaccustomed.

"Ah, thank you, I'll stop by the inn soon. Though I suppose it's still early, I guess I can try to get an hour of shop time. Would you be interested in buying some things? I'm sure the people here have... special needs." She asked, as she parked by the Inn's street and opened up her modified merchant carriage and hung a pair of Ionian lanterns at the corners. She turned a small device at the bottom of the lanterns and they gave off a soothing teal light.

She sighs and looks around, grumbling how there might not be that many customers to be had yet...

Kaelhound

05-03-2014

Quote:
The Lady greets Victus with a curt nod. He gave his warnings, worried clearly about the Ionian bear dog... and not the mysterious Ionian wuju wizard. "Don't worry! Suchong is a well behaved friend. Isn't that right Suchong?"

Suchong gives Ling a couple of friendly, affirmative barks. For someone his size, the creature's bark was certainly very strong, and a bit surprising for the unaccustomed.

"Ah, thank you, I'll stop by the inn soon. Though I suppose it's still early, I guess I can try to get an hour of shop time. Would you be interested in buying some things? I'm sure the people here have... special needs." She asked, as she parked by the Inn's street and opened up her modified merchant carriage and hung a pair of Ionian lanterns at the corners. She turned a small device at the bottom of the lanterns and they gave off a soothing teal light.

She sighs and looks around, grumbling how there might not be that many customers to be had yet...
Victus chuckled quietly as she looked around for customers, looking her up and down as he did. Her confidence that the dog wouldn't cause trouble was more or less good enough for him. Afterall, besides a definite interest in his citizen's limbs, it had not caused any trouble beyond a few of them holding onto their arms a bit more tightly.

"If you're looking to sell things then let me ask, what sort of wares do you have to offer? We might not look like much, but back when this town was in one piece we had our fair share of wealth hidden away, so if there's anything we might be interested in, we're open to do business." Victus offered eagerly.

Necromonger

05-03-2014

The Lady brought out a comfortable looking folding chair made of wood and sat outside her cart. A few citizens passed by, but they were only browsing. Browsing! merchants hated that secretly, but they always met browsers and window shoppers with a smile. "Well... what I sell actually depends on what my customers might need. My wares are quite diverse. I know I cannot offer the undead my usual Ionian food and medicine. Trinkets for good luck maybe? Or perhaps prosperous life? Perhaps answers. Perhaps magical wares to give people some semblance of what they once had. Perhaps vermin repellents, seeing as there must be many challenges that arise from your condition."

The Lady looked at her dog, who was sprawled all over the ground, lying on his belly, tired from pulling the cart all day. "I'd have Suchong entertain children too with his dancing, but he seems indisposed." Suchong replied with a low whine, resting his chin on the dirt ground, covering his face with his paws.

Kaelhound

05-03-2014

Quote:
The Lady brought out a comfortable looking folding chair made of wood and sat outside her cart. A few citizens passed by, but they were only browsing. Browsing! merchants hated that secretly, but they always met browsers and window shoppers with a smile. "Well... what I sell actually depends on what my customers might need. My wares are quite diverse. I know I cannot offer the undead my usual Ionian food and medicine. Trinkets for good luck maybe? Or perhaps prosperous life? Perhaps answers. Perhaps magical wares to give people some semblance of what they once had. Perhaps vermin repellents, seeing as there must be many challenges that arise from your condition."

The Lady looked at her dog, who was sprawled all over the ground, lying on his belly, tired from pulling the cart all day. "I'd have Suchong entertain children too with his dancing, but he seems indisposed." Suchong replied with a low whine, resting his chin on the dirt ground, covering his face with his paws.
Victus let out a small wheezing laugh at the mention of children, his shoulders slumping a slight bit. "There are no children around here. None of the merchants bring theirs, and none were present at the... cause of our undeath. However, those charms you mentioned. The ones giving them a "semblance of what they once had". I presume you mean mortality, or at least the appearance of it." Victus paused for a moment, appearing to be lost in memories. Then like that he was back in the moment. "You might sell a few of those. Those and the vermin repellants... how much repellant do you have in stock, might I ask?" He inquired politely.

Necromonger

05-04-2014

Ling headed into her small carriage and brought out two... four... six... eight... ten cages with young adult black cats in them. Gathered together in a pile, they start to meow incessantly, pawing at their cages. These cages could likely have fit in the carriage, but if she had far more goods available, that would be a stretch to believe, unless of course she was a wizard... which she was.

"Well, I didn't plan to bring many, so these are all I have at the moment. Are you interested?" She asked with a smile.

Kaelhound

05-04-2014

Quote:
Ling headed into her small carriage and brought out two... four... six... eight... ten cages with young adult black cats in them. Gathered together in a pile, they start to meow incessantly, pawing at their cages. These cages could likely have fit in the carriage, but if she had far more goods available, that would be a stretch to believe, unless of course she was a wizard... which she was.

"Well, I didn't plan to bring many, so these are all I have at the moment. Are you interested?" She asked with a smile.
"That's one way to get rid of vermin I suppose!" Victus laughed lightly. "I might buy them, though I'd have to of course know how much they are, how easy they are to train, and whether they will try to run away or not." He paused for a moment in thought." Hold on a second, I'm going to call my wife over here. I was always more of a dog person myself you see." He explained absent-mindedly, looking through Ling as though she weren't there, though this would be hard to tell as he didn't have proper eyes. One would have to be fairly used to being around the undead to pick up on any of their expressions, especially if they were almost totally lacking skin and muscles.

'Dandreia, could you please come down here? There's a merchant offering to sell us cats to help with the rat problem, and we both know that I have about as much knowledge of cats as you do about sewing.' He silently messaged his wife.

She soon replied, asking 'I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you insult my sewing. What colour are they?'

'They're black, now please get your sorry little behind down here. I'm starting to feel mighty uncomfortable just sitting here saying nothing.' He hurriedly answered, a couple of his old soldiering mannerisms coming through.

'Careful dearest, your commoner is showing again.' He swore he could feel her smirking, despite her lack of a face. 'I'll be down in a moment.' She concluded.

This whole exchange took but a few seconds. He let out a deep sigh of exasperation
"Sorry about that. She should be on her way." He apologized.

12345 ... 8