@Riot: What were your goals? A serious discussion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Djinn

10-26-2012

Hey Riot. First things first, I don't hate the new Treeline. But I'm not sure I like it yet. With that in mind, can a Red (RiotNome seems to be around) answer a few questions on your thought process behind things?

1: Why do Altars take so little time to capture? Without an auditory timer (East Altar unlocking in 30 seconds!) one has to constantly visually check the Altar, and when an enemy appears on the Altar there's a good chance you're not actually close enough to respond, especially with walls to thick to flash/dash over. Additionally, you can't realistically get your whole team together in time to counter, but the map is small enough that the enemy team can bring their whole team to defend (assuming it's that team's altar). A longer time would allow more counter-play against people capturing the Altar

2: Why are the supposed anti-bruiser items relatively ineffective against Bruisers? It seems the choice to make Blackfire Torch and Blade of the Ruined King deal % of CURRENT health has actually made them relatively inefficient against bruisers, leading to, once more, a meta in which fighting against bruisers (Olaf and Rengar in particular, with their CC immunity and gapclosers respectively) is extremely difficult. % of current health helps against Bruisers early, but it becomes less and less effective as the fight goes on: a time when some Bruisers, like Olaf, become DEADLIER. What was the reasoning behind this? Are there plans for more Bruiser-countering items later on?

3: Why was the top jungle removed, and why was the jungle layout simplified? Being able to bait Dragon was an interesting choice, but the simplification of the jungle (removal of inner walls and most bushes) makes it very apparent where the junglers are, makes it easy to fight them, and removes the ability to bait people into fights at Vilemaw, which would be an interesting addition. Tied to this is the removal of wards, which makes fights and excursions into enemy territory seem more akin to a Zerg rush than strategic gameplay.

Don't get me wrong...I'm enjoying the new Treeline immensely, but I'm worried it lacks the staying power of the old Treeline, as well as some of the tactical depth. I like the attempt to make more characters viable, but I feel the new items actually cater TO Bruisers (build BotRK and VDI on Rengar or Olaf and watch what happens) rather than downplaying the Bruiser meta, while items like Wicked Hatchet outright make some characters (Mundo, for example) virtually unplayable.

Can you enlighten us, Riot? Answer these questions, and share any insight you'd care to: we're curious.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exqzr

10-26-2012

Good post