Ingame champion portraits

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ran Yakumo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

I'm not sure if this is you guys' department, but are we going to be getting the ingame champion portraits be different depending on the skin being used? Eg if I'm using the Dynasty Ahri skin, the portrait would be her face from the Dynasty splash as opposed to the classic art.

I know a lot of players, including myself, would like this, there's been a number of posts on it but I'm not sure if we've ever got a Riot response concerning it.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

10-26-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

we've tossed the idea around before, but that's about as far as it has gotten. there are a few things in the way that prevent us from doing this, like the need for engineering support and the concern for losing an 'instantly recognizable face' for champions if there's no longer a standard portrait (more of an issue for spectators than players).

it's not outside of the realm of possibility, but i'm not sure that it's something we'd want and it is competing with other cool things we could do.

TheRoadstar

10-26-2012

I think he's referring to the portrait in the bottom left than only the person playing that particular champion can see. As far as the markers on the minimap and icons on the scoreboard, those should remain standard.

Ran Yakumo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadstar View Post
I think he's referring to the portrait in the bottom left than only the person playing that particular champion can see. As far as the markers on the minimap and icons on the scoreboard, those should remain standard.
Yeah I was referring to this, maybe as well as the portraits on the left hand side of the screen, though I can see how it might be confusing to players if a minimap icon is different to the portrait on the left...

SpatAttack

10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
we've tossed the idea around before, but that's about as far as it has gotten. there are a few things in the way that prevent us from doing this, like the need for engineering support and the concern for losing an 'instantly recognizable face' for champions if there's no longer a standard portrait (more of an issue for spectators than players).

it's not outside of the realm of possibility, but i'm not sure that it's something we'd want and it is competing with other cool things we could do.
As others have said to this before, so not my idea;

What about only implementing it for the person who's playing while it remains default to everyone else?

Devastra

10-26-2012

Quote:

With 2-3 champions getting splash/visual updates each patch now as it is anyway, there are plenty of "different" faces on the portraits anyway that arn't as "instantly recognizable".

Byrnes

10-26-2012

+1

shieldxm

10-26-2012

Quote:

Though we understand the reasoning for spectators, the community buy skins for a change of aesthetics for their champion(s). I also wish to use the skin's portrait when I use them for a more wholesome experience. Hopefully you guys implement this idea because its been bothering me in the back of my mind too.

ForgivEnemy

10-26-2012

Quote:

Is it possible to have portraits of the skins you own for your match history? Like If I play a game with Jax, can my Jaximus skin portrait show up on my match history, instead of of the normal jax skin art?

Blahzor

10-26-2012

Quote:

have it client side and/or in opt-in form?