Understanding the Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feral Instinct

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Lately, I've been receiving a lot of e-mails about the same questions and complaints about the Tribunal. I'm working with WookieCookie, RiotSeb and statuskwoh to add these to the Tribunal FAQs but we would love to discuss them here first.

1) What's the point of having a language filter if I can get banned for 'adult' language?
a) We aren't out to punish players who use adult language; in fact, very few players are ever banned for saying stuff like "f***, I missed that skill shot" or "damn, f***ing close game!" However, the language filter is not an excuse to verbally abuse someone in the game. When you verbally abuse or harass someone by calling them "f***ing ******" or "n*gger noob", that's when you've crossed the line and will be punished by the Tribunal. I've said this before and I'll say it again, we aren't trying to clean online games of adult language; we're trying to reform or get rid of jerks who like to verbally abuse and harass other players.

2) I only have 1 bad game in my Tribunal Reform Card, why am I banned???
a) The Tribunal verdict is not based on a 'majority' rule; there is also no requirement that all games have to be toxic for it to warrant a suspension. Depending on the case, sometimes 1 game is all that is needed to show that the player deserves a suspension. To Tribunal reviewers, decisions like these are up to you. When you view a Tribunal case, the questions you should ask yourselves are, "Is this player's behavior appropriate in League of Legends?" and "Would I want to play with this player?"

3) This player should have been banned, but he was pardoned. The Tribunal is broken!
a) The Tribunal was inspired by 'crowdsourcing' research. When I was still a student, I worked with labs that developed games such as "Foldit" that took advantage of crowdsourcing to find solutions to extremely tricky tasks--when you read this research you truly appreciate how accurate crowdsourcing systems can be. In fact, the Tribunal is far more accurate than traditional Player Support.

However, the Tribunal isn't perfect. The design is based on statistical probability and random sampling and every system like this has outliers. This means that sometimes, a player has an egregious Tribunal case but is still pardoned because he happened to get a lenient set of voters; however, if the player is truly toxic, he actually is re-sent back to the Tribunal in a handful of games and is usually accurately punished in his second visit to the Tribunal.

Because the Tribunal is designed to identify frequency and consistency of toxic behavior, this is why it doesn't take into account the severity of the offense. If a player is extremely toxic he will quickly get banned multiple times by the Tribunal until he is permabanned; in fact, extremely toxic players end up permabanned significantly faster than players who are 'less severe.' In the future, we may want to brainstorm ways to improve on the Tribunal so that it does take into account severity and adjusts punishments accordingly... but we're not there yet.

4) That player in my game was far worse than me. Why am I banned???
a) I'll keep this one simple: retaliation isn't OK. Reacting to a toxic player by being toxic just incites that player to be even worse--it also ruins the game for up to 8 other players. It is far, far worse to watch two people yelling at each other all game than it is to watch 1 player ranting into blank space. Almost everyone in the game can find someone out there that behaves worse than they do--but so what? Finding someone worse doesn't justify your behavior or justify retaliation. We expect more out of our players. What players often don't realize is... those other players in your game that you thought were worse? Nearly 100% of the time, those players were banned even before you were. If someone is being toxic, just report them and move on. If you retaliate, both of you will be banned. It's really that simple.

5) Low skill players should be banned from the game! The Tribunal should only ban Leavers/AFK and intentional feeders, those are the only types of players that really ruin games!
a) No. Just no. Jerks ruin games. League of Legends is for everyone whether they are 500 Elo or 2500 Elo. It's not a game for jerks.
Retaliation is not okay ? So essentially you want us to bend over during games, close our eyes with a smile and hope the 100% success rate Tribunal sorts them out later ? You also let people who are banned through the Tribunal continue to vote on cases.

Uchinanchu

12-12-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/case/6036536/
So I'm confused as to why I got a warning. For the first game I called mid in queue and then I just had a bad game. Teemo decided to go mid with me and refused to help any. Apparently Teemo wants to report for not helping. I helped him all game but he got mad when I couldn't save him when he overextended.
The 2nd game Jax went top and fed twice and then went afk leaving me to 1v2 on top. Then brand went afk the same time with Jax. Sona constantly harrassed and then ap yi dived me and meditated. When I called for a gank top, Brand comes and acts like he's going to gank so I go in too. Then he runs and types "bye bye teemo." He was probably laughing in his chair. He does this a few more times that game.
The 3rd game I called mid and picked/locked in brand first in queue. Then tf picks and morgana picks. I pretty much bend over for them and go bot. Then everytime I land a stun on yi or graves, tf continues to farm. When I ask why, it's apparently because I'm "taking farm from him." I continue to ask this troll tf to help. Whenever they focused me, tf continues to farm which is when I say "really?" And apparently I'm being reported by shaco because I called tf a troll for refusing to help me. Tf even left bot to go farm jungle at level 7.
So how is this worthy of a warning/ban? I can get banned for calling a troll a troll?

Apoptosine

12-14-2012

Quote:
This is not necessarily due to the Tribunal's lenience. As we ramp up towards the end of Season 2, we are seeing increasingly poor behavior in Ranked modes. This will probably settle down in the next week or two.
Wow, i thought it was my imagination! It's nice to have ran across your post Lyte, I can feel better now knowing that I'm not losing my mind--I experienced this "cranky" phase. I chalked it up to "polite honest competitive" players not playing games near teh end of the season leaving a vacuum filled with more trolls per game-heh,

I'd like to add that I know it's an expense for Riot to do this process, and I not only appreciate it and see the wisdom in attempting to tackle, or at least equipping the community with this grooming tool. Also, thanks for adding this FAQ addendum (sort of).

DaRealJohnConnor

12-14-2012

Quote:
Lately, I've been receiving a lot of e-mails about the same questions and complaints about the Tribunal. I'm working with WookieCookie, RiotSeb and statuskwoh to add these to the Tribunal FAQs but we would love to discuss them here first.

1) What's the point of having a language filter if I can get banned for 'adult' language?
a) We aren't out to punish players who use adult language; in fact, very few players are ever banned for saying stuff like "f***, I missed that skill shot" or "damn, f***ing close game!" However, the language filter is not an excuse to verbally abuse someone in the game. When you verbally abuse or harass someone by calling them "f***ing ******" or "n*gger noob", that's when you've crossed the line and will be punished by the Tribunal. I've said this before and I'll say it again, we aren't trying to clean online games of adult language; we're trying to reform or get rid of jerks who like to verbally abuse and harass other players.

2) I only have 1 bad game in my Tribunal Reform Card, why am I banned???
a) The Tribunal verdict is not based on a 'majority' rule; there is also no requirement that all games have to be toxic for it to warrant a suspension. Depending on the case, sometimes 1 game is all that is needed to show that the player deserves a suspension. To Tribunal reviewers, decisions like these are up to you. When you view a Tribunal case, the questions you should ask yourselves are, "Is this player's behavior appropriate in League of Legends?" and "Would I want to play with this player?"

3) This player should have been banned, but he was pardoned. The Tribunal is broken!
a) The Tribunal was inspired by 'crowdsourcing' research. When I was still a student, I worked with labs that developed games such as "Foldit" that took advantage of crowdsourcing to find solutions to extremely tricky tasks--when you read this research you truly appreciate how accurate crowdsourcing systems can be. In fact, the Tribunal is far more accurate than traditional Player Support.

However, the Tribunal isn't perfect. The design is based on statistical probability and random sampling and every system like this has outliers. This means that sometimes, a player has an egregious Tribunal case but is still pardoned because he happened to get a lenient set of voters; however, if the player is truly toxic, he actually is re-sent back to the Tribunal in a handful of games and is usually accurately punished in his second visit to the Tribunal.

Because the Tribunal is designed to identify frequency and consistency of toxic behavior, this is why it doesn't take into account the severity of the offense. If a player is extremely toxic he will quickly get banned multiple times by the Tribunal until he is permabanned; in fact, extremely toxic players end up permabanned significantly faster than players who are 'less severe.' In the future, we may want to brainstorm ways to improve on the Tribunal so that it does take into account severity and adjusts punishments accordingly... but we're not there yet.

4) That player in my game was far worse than me. Why am I banned???
a) I'll keep this one simple: retaliation isn't OK. Reacting to a toxic player by being toxic just incites that player to be even worse--it also ruins the game for up to 8 other players. It is far, far worse to watch two people yelling at each other all game than it is to watch 1 player ranting into blank space. Almost everyone in the game can find someone out there that behaves worse than they do--but so what? Finding someone worse doesn't justify your behavior or justify retaliation. We expect more out of our players. What players often don't realize is... those other players in your game that you thought were worse? Nearly 100% of the time, those players were banned even before you were. If someone is being toxic, just report them and move on. If you retaliate, both of you will be banned. It's really that simple.

5) Low skill players should be banned from the game! The Tribunal should only ban Leavers/AFK and intentional feeders, those are the only types of players that really ruin games!
a) No. Just no. Jerks ruin games. League of Legends is for everyone whether they are 500 Elo or 2500 Elo. It's not a game for jerks.
Read the bold please. What does that mean? That they will just get stacked case files and continue to auto ban consecutively until you are permabanned? I'm really confused. I've always wanted to know about case file stacking and reports.. does it handle only 1 case at a time? Or does it wait for one case to be through and settled and then the next one will pop up that was in line? Do reports work that way?

pernix phonex

Recruiter

12-14-2012

I was banned for being a toxic player ( i said raciest things and was extremely vulgar)

i want tips for improving my coroperation skills and learn to deal with people who pss me off (feeders afk and generally bad players) without calling them raciest names or cussing at them

i want to change and im considering ways to change during my time away

edit who the hell gave me negtive for a post trying to improve my behavour?

CubanAnnibal

12-14-2012

they ban you for bs that doesnt have any sense I just got banned cuz I was feeding, really? it is no one's fault but the ones that were afk then blaming eveything on me just because I died due to bad team mates, they never helped or cared about the game, thing that should be the issue not how players play the game, which I do give my best but there are always others that wanst you to do what they want, idc if they need a support or tank or adc, I just want to play and have fun but they always blame everything cuz, "Oh he didnt pick a support lets report him" yeah thats true they all pick their champs but you cant ever pick which one you want, lets be real about one thing this is a game, so be more careful when you create this tribunal, we are spending money on you for a better game and more champs, and please be more specific when you ban someone and give them a reason why they were banned, why? what they did wrong, not because in the chat the other players say "Lets report him" not because of that, do a better job next time and be more specific. I dont see the reason for my ban just because in chat says "report him" thats all? really?

Hauntling

12-16-2012

so let me get this straight.. for calling someone a "****er noob" you can get banned? seriously? what are we 15?

Jryiah

12-16-2012

I try really hard to be a model, but there are an endless supply of jerks. I have been good but sometimes they get to me. It feels like every game I am writing a negative attitude report, which they deserved.

10thVangola

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryiah View Post
I try really hard to be a model, but there are an endless supply of jerks. I have been good but sometimes they get to me. It feels like every game I am writing a negative attitude report, which they deserved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryiah View Post
And thats such ****, your only going to get banned if your a toxic ******bag such as yourself.
You are are a role model, trolling in forums, as i said in the forum, You may act all nice in a game but the actions you do in a game make you a troll.

so please cut the nice guys act. when you are clearly a toxic player.

Mighty Typhoon

12-19-2012

I don't care what academic research that was done on this system, it is way too unfair. It rewards the whiners and sometimes the very people who should have been punished. It does this by leaving the decisions up to players. Players fund this game, they provide an opponent base to play against. They should NEVER be involved in levied punishment on another player for many reasons. The biggest reason is they have an agenda. They are NOT fair and impartial. They don't look at the totality of the circumstances, they simply decide if there was a code violation or not. I am all for freedom and democracy, but even the best systems of those have checks and balances. They have EXPERTS investigating violations and people who are QUALIFIED to make the fairest decisions based on the facts of the case. I am seriously considering boycotting this game and it's company because of this horrible decision to let the players punish players.