Understanding the Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

daves3hd

10-26-2012

Will the tribunal ever work on a platform/section to reflect me as a summoner to be able to see how I behave in game?
For instance a game showing statistics how often I have been reported in a lifetime and what those reports were (feeding, harassment, what ever).
And also the number report of the last 2/3month~

I understand you can't show us the reports as detailed as tribunal cases. But no game info, no names. Just a list with lifetime statistics and last months reports.

I play on EU (daves2hd) and played this account some on NA. I'm certain in both accounts I will have received a few reports in my lifetime. I as summoner would be interested to see what the statistics are and the latest reports to reflect on myself and look back on my behaviour. Even though I'm a pretty well behaved summoner it's nice to look back and think back on what might went wrong worth reporting.

Anything like this ever planned, or what is the philosophy behind it that would make it less interesting for Riot to develop. (one would probably be the information isn't valuable enough or interesting enough to be worth the effort, or improve player experience. Though I just stated there are ppl (me) who would be interested :P)

Needles K

10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I don't remember ever seeing a player banned for Refusing to Communicate. Most players only use pings and call "mias" and that's it.
Really? I'm pretty sure I've punished some people for it in the Tribunal. Only it usually means something more like refusal to *cooperate* — for example, picking a role that's already been picked and trying to force your teammate out of his own lane.

Tech Support

10-26-2012

Thank you for the quick reply Lyte.

As a follow up, and maybe this can be instead answered by community members, if I mute a player, can I still see their pings? Personally, I'm not one to mute players because I have a VERY thick skin(sticks and stones..), but like I said..a what-if scenario, and it was answered.

VexaraX

10-26-2012

System seems unfinished and lacking, but making improvement. I hope someday that it will be a good system.

Akesgeroth

10-26-2012

Quote:
I don't remember ever seeing a player banned for Refusing to Communicate. Most players only use pings and call "mias" and that's it.
Lyte, if I may make a comment.

This situation hasn't happened often. I probably have close to 3k games played, and I think it has happened three times so far, but it HAS happened. Let me explain.

I'll join a game, no one says anything in the lobby. We pick our champions. The game starts, the rest of my teammates speak nothing but portuguese. I tell them that I only speak english and french, no response. They don't ping, they don't call MIAs. I go 5/0/8 or something like that, and suddenly I die and I get all of my teammates going "OMG u suck stop playing" or "stupid fck pig", followed by actual coherent phrases in english. They understand english, they speak it, they can write it, they just don't want to do it unless it's to insult other players. Hell, the last time it happened, I just went "Oh, so you do speak english! Just not to do anything but insult me. Bye." and left the game, because I wasn't going to subject myself to a 4-man premade doing this to me.

So yes, I do think "Refusing to communicate with the team" should be taken into account. Not often, but it should.

Senoshu

10-26-2012

Quote:
This is actually pretty rare. The fact you think it's frequent is due to cognitive biases. For example, humans tend to remember negative events far more vividly than positive events. Secondly, if you already believe that an event like this happens super frequently, you are more likely to remember it when it does happen--even if it's rare.

I know exactly how many times games like these happen. If you want, let's do an exercise: how many times in your past 10 games do you think this has happened?
Lyte I don't want to be that guy that gives Riot loads of unending **** for, lets be honest, something they don't have direct control over but, is it really fair for you to approach his grievance with a response like that?

If a player is bad, rages, has a bad game etc. that's one thing. But when someone is solely playing to blatantly ruin the game for others, even 1 in 50 games is one too many. Now I understand Riot constantly addresses these issues and is doing everything in their power to weed out players like this but even so. From a PR perspective even if you've stated it thousands of times before it can't hurt you or take up that much time to let this guy know exactly what you're currently doing to try to prevent scenarios like that from happening. I think when players come to you guys for help like this and they are basically told that their problem really isn't that bad is where a good bit of the community is getting that feeling that Riot doesn't care.

Not that we don't know you are trying and you have important things to be doing but I think I speak for most people that even simple assurance that things are being done, accompanied with what, is better than being told the problem isn't really a problem.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-26-2012
10 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senoshu View Post
Lyte I don't want to be that guy that gives Riot loads of unending **** for, lets be honest, something they don't have direct control over but, is it really fair for you to approach his grievance with a response like that?

If a player is bad, rages, has a bad game etc. that's one thing. But when someone is solely playing to blatantly ruin the game for others, even 1 in 50 games is one too many. Now I understand Riot constantly addresses these issues and is doing everything in their power to weed out players like this but even so. From a PR perspective even if you've stated it thousands of times before it can't hurt you or take up that much time to let this guy know exactly what you're currently doing to try to prevent scenarios like that from happening. I think when players come to you guys for help like this and they are basically told that their problem really isn't that bad is where a good bit of the community is getting that feeling that Riot doesn't care.

Not that we don't know you are trying and you have important things to be doing but I think I speak for most people that even simple assurance that things are being done, accompanied with what, is better than being told the problem isn't really a problem.
I actually don't disagree with what you are saying; but, I disagree strongly with how this player is communicating his message. I agree, there are cases where replays may help because a player intentionally fed, then perhaps started kill stealing at the end of the match to create a decent looking score. However, to say this happens every game is not an accurate assessment of the problem. We want to solve this problem but it's not the #1 priority on the player behavior team.

Unfortunately, this player was recently banned for toxic behavior and believes replays in a Tribunal case would have helped him avoid punishment--it wouldn't have. Should I really be assuring this player that his behavior is OK and no replays is the only reason he was punished?

KesslerCOIL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

Quote:
I actually don't disagree with what you are saying; but, I disagree strongly with how this player is communicating his message. I agree, there are cases where replays may help because a player intentionally fed, then perhaps started kill stealing at the end of the match to create a decent looking score. However, to say this happens every game is not an accurate assessment of the problem. We want to solve this problem but it's not the #1 priority on the player behavior team.

Unfortunately, this player was recently banned for toxic behavior and believes replays in a Tribunal case would have helped him avoid punishment--it wouldn't have. Should I really be assuring this player that his behavior is OK and no replays is the only reason he was punished?
Do you have anything planned to make sure that highly offensive profanitys such as Homophobic or Racial Slurrs are punished? Ive come across a great many cases(both personally and from others posting in disgust) where it has been pardoned by the majority.

Zelana

10-26-2012

I have a question, sort of. I was looking over some of the cases I had reviewed and was sad to see I only had a 70% accuracy on the cases I had done. I looked back at the one's I had done wrong and saw they were three that I chose to hit punish and they were pardoned. Curious, I looked at them again and was sad to see that they were negative, calling people names, and generally being unfriendly and toxic players. It makes me feel as though they're getting a free pass to continue on being rude and negative to their fellow players and that fellow summoners are allowing this. Can a summoner be punished themselves for constantly trolling the tribunal with opposite votes? ( Ie, voting punish when the person had done nothing wrong or pardoning someone who clearly was out of line. )

Pushover

10-26-2012

Seems like tribunal doesn't convert nonletter, nonnumber characters correctly, they appear incorrectly, for example, 'I've' appears as 'I've.'