Inquiry to riot ~150-200+ chat restriction games followed by a 14 day ban???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Google Me Dude

4 Days Ago

I committed some toxicity back around march (over 4 months ago). I got reported in a some games, as I should have been, from saying some negative things (cursing, name calling). At the time I was raging a little when I'd lose matches. Anyways I got reported and got hit with chat restriction for the 50 something games. This was fine. I learned my lesson. But then as the chat restriction was up and I looked forward to matches being able to talk again with my new found less ragey look on the game, I get hit with another 28 games. Then another 28 And another and another. Back to back to back. Then 14 then down to 7. And when it finally went away I get hit with a 14 ban. Why?? What is going on here? The automated (or semi automated) system isn't doing any good for players who look to recover. I've been reported in games for verbal abuse recently for 1) not talking 2) playing a lane that someone else apparently wanted 3) saying "please listen and group" 4) pointing out players scores. None of these things are toxic or verbally abusive. Half them don't even involve talking but yet all someone has to do is report you at the end of the game for verbal abuse whether you deserve it or not. I want to know why I got a 14 day ban after I did hundreds of chat restriction games. How am I ever, or all players for that matter suppose to learn their lesson and speak in chat accordingly ever again if they never get the chance. I was unjustly banned after I already did like 200 chat restricted games. Heck the first 50 something was punishment enough. It's really unjust that I now can't play at all for 14 days. I want to know why I am
Banned currently.

Jubbinaut

4 Days Ago

Best guess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulanopo View Post
I received a 14-day suspension or a permaban. I thought Riot was just handing out chat restrictions while the Tribunal is down.

From Twitter: (link)

Today, players that show extreme toxicity (intentional feeding or racism, etc) will be instantly 14-day or permabanned in LeagueOfLegends

How are these reviewed? Is this another automated system?
"Every permaban case is reviewed."
"Actually, we'll be posting full chat logs if we need to, and every chat log has been reviewed."
How will I know if this was the reason for my ban?
"For those asking, players will specifically get a code where they are banned until Year 2500 if they are caught by this effort."
Can I get a reform card?
"We've generally avoided "naming and shaming" and posting examples of chat logs when we can, but if players are going to complain about unfair bans, we're just going to post the chat logs." (link)

"Now, we're going to compromise a bit here. One, we want to be as transparent as possible with the playerbase on the accuracy of the systems, so if players complain about bans being unfair, we'll post their chat logs and have a discussion about that particular case. If players don't complain about their bans being unfair, we won't be revealing any data from their case publicly." (link)

I don't want something that public. Can I get a general idea?
"Real life death threats, extreme cases of racism (like spamming racist remarks in consecutive games), and intentional feeding such as 1-30 in multiple games in a row with 5 pairs of boots, etc.

There's more examples, but this gives you an idea about the severity of the offenses we're looking at being pretty aggressive against."
(link)

Is this a permanent feature?

This ban wave is a test for NA only. They will be performing tests in other regions in the coming days.
He mentioned in the Twitter feed that the system may be made permanent if the false positives remain low.

Full notes: (link)
Hey everyone,

A quick clarification on some common questions I'm seeing:
Today is start of tests where we'll be using a new machine learning approach + Player Support manual reviews to target extreme cases of toxicity (such as intentional feeding, racism, death threats, homophobia, etc) and handing out pretty severe penalties such as 14-day or permanent bans. Players that get permanent bans will see a ban code of 2500 during these tests.

We'll be testing 1 server at a time in small doses to monitor the effectiveness of the system carefully and minimize false positives. All Riot regions will get the same test at some point in the future.

In the past, we've avoided publicly naming and shaming players; however, we've learned in recent months that being transparent is extremely critical to the playerbase's trust in our systems, so we've decided to do a compromise. If players complain about unfair bans for this particular system (so, have a ban year code of 2500), we're going to be fully transparent and posting the chat logs that resulted in the ban.

Some players have also asked why we've taken such an aggressive stance when we've been focused on reform; well, the key here is that for most players, reform approaches are quite effective. But, for a number of players, reform attempts have been very unsuccessful which forces us to remove some of these players from League entirely.

In addition, we'll be talking about this effort in more detail and about another system that will be addressing Leavers/AFKs very severely in the future. We'll do these in the usual channels like the League forums. I just wanted to mention this briefly on Twitter today in case some players were confused why they see some players getting banned until 2500 year codes.
ADDED 21 JULY 2014

Google Me Dude

4 Days Ago

And if this is riot catching up on the tribunal being down for several weeks, how is this fair to ban someone for something months ago after 100-200 chat restrictions ( which is arguably a worse punishment )

Jubbinaut

4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Me Dude View Post
And if this is riot catching up on the tribunal being down for several weeks, how is this fair to ban someone for something months ago after 100-200 chat restrictions ( which is arguably a worse punishment )
That's not what that quote says at all.

This has nothing to do with "catching up on the tribunal," and everything to do with a new initiative.

Google Me Dude

4 Days Ago

That still doesn't answer my questions. If I'm getting tagged this ban for previous player behavior months ago after Ive already served in chat restriction for months. That's like getting punished twice for the same crime. I don't see how it's fair to make anyone a gineua pig for this test just be use they were toxic once upon a time in the past.

Verideathul

4 Days Ago

Quote:
That still doesn't answer my questions. If I'm getting tagged this ban for previous player behavior months ago after Ive already served in chat restriction for months. That's like getting punished twice for the same crime. I don't see how it's fair to make anyone a gineua pig for this test just be use they were toxic once upon a time in the past.
If you've been getting chat restrictions for months, you've continued to be toxic. While the system does have a flaw imo in that neutral chat will not lift a person's chat restriction, to be chat restricted for months is indicative of chronic toxicity.

Jubbinaut

4 Days Ago

Quote:
*shrugs* I'm not saying it is because of that. It's only the best guess I have, given the data I have.

If you want to know more, submit a support ticket using the blue button in the top right of this page.

AeroWaffle

4 Days Ago

You're not going to get any definitive answer from us players. You'll need to contact support if you want Riot to talk to you. They have the data, we don't.

Google Me Dude

4 Days Ago

No I have NOT been repeatedly toxic to people which is why I'm upset. The automated system just scans your chat log and adds more chat restriction games if you didn't show improvement which comes from not talking in game. That's so absurd. Also I tried to send a ticket about the chat restricted games in the past and just got an automated response. And I did send a ticket in for this ban. Just waiting and was told rioters would post in forums

AeroWaffle

4 Days Ago

Quote:
No I have NOT been repeatedly toxic to people which is why I'm upset. The automated system just scans your chat log and adds more chat restriction games if you didn't show improvement which comes from not talking in game. That's so absurd. Also I tried to send a ticket about the chat restricted games in the past and just got an automated response. And I did send a ticket in for this ban. Just waiting and was told rioters would post in forums
I can't say for certain, but you would probably have more luck getting a Riot response in GD if you want to get attention in the forums.

And we can't exactly take your word that you're completely innocent, since it's extremely common for someone who deserves the punishment claim that they didn't deserve it. I'm not claiming that I believe you deserve the punishment. I'm claiming that I don't know one way or another, so it's pointless to try and convince us through your statements alone.