Misinformation and the Tribunal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hirumonogatari

1 Week Ago

Hi regulars, it's been a while.

there has been quite some discussion in OCE about implementation of tribunal, but for now it has been delayed (again). reading through the arguments for and against, i believe there is some rather serious misinformation going on (or i could be the one misinformed). since most people's experience in OCE comes from NA, i thought i'd start here.

it seems the most common perception is that the tribunal exists to punish toxic users. it is my understanding that this belief is completely wrong and misguided. far from serving to punish users, the function is to pardon innocent players.

half the bans are meted out by leaverbuster, and we can see how mechanical THAT system can be. there are also numerous claims that if Riot staff controlled the bannings like Tribunal, we'd see a lot more bans and suspensions.

so let me go through the process again.

1) player is toxic in a large number of games
2) system flags player
3) player goes to tribunal
4) tribunal votes.

if we automated the system and ended at 2, all of the cases that went to tribunal would be punished. if we changed "tribunal" in (3) and (4) to "riot staff", we'd have a higher (self-reported) percentage of players being punished.

unless i'm way off base here, could we start by telling people that tribunal is here to pardon, not to punish?

magooomba

1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirumonogatari View Post
unless i'm way off base here, could we start by telling people that tribunal is here to pardon, not to punish?
I think I get where you're coming from, but it's just as misguided to say the Tribunal simply exists to pardon. The first response in the Tribunal FAQ states that it "empowers the League of Legends community to regulate the conduct that it considers appropriate and supports the tenets of the Summonerís Code." This seems to suggest three main principles behind it's existence: (1) empowerment; (2) regulation; (3) support of the Summoner's Code. To say it simply exists to either punish or pardon focuses far too much on the specifics of how it operates instead of why it operates. It's there to give members of the community the chance to weigh in on what is acceptable or not based on individual interpretations of the Summoner's Code.

Yes, pardons are less common and maintaining accuracy through avoiding false punishments is a measure of the goals of the Tribunal, but that doesn't mean every punished case is not subjected to the same individualized interpretation and assessment. The process is why the Tribunal exists, not necessarily the outcomes.

Ulanopo

1 Week Ago

I agree with Magooomba about the overarching purpose of the Tribunal, but I think the issue of pardoning cases that would have been punished by the algorithm is an excellent argument for Riot having created and installed the Tribunal in the first place. Giving the community a voice is not an everyday corporate objective. Increasing the accuracy of their behavioral systems is.