Decisions on the Treeline?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quintavius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

“Games are a series of interesting decisions,” - Sid Meier

I played a few matches of TT last night. If I had the choice, I would have chosen to play the old treeline last night. The main reason for that decision is my own lack of experience with this map.

I simply do not know what decisions can be made on this map...so how can I possibly know if they are interesting. How can I say the game is good or bad without the ability to evaluate the decisions? (begging the question...I can't)

So, help me. What decisions are there to be made in TT? specifically in terms of:

-Team comps
-Opening strategies (what are the different options?)
-Responses/counter play (i.e. if the bad guys get an early lead, what are my options?)
-Build synergy (can I play protect a Kog? Can 3 Sunfires with LVDP work?)
-Jungle routes (what are my options in terms of ganking/farming)

I'd like to find out what others are doing, try it out, and make an informed decision. Because right now, I'd just rather have the cool comfort of the old TT

WrathgarWarlord

10-26-2012

To win this map you need a strong level one team, you rush the enemy alter and then proceed to steamroll the team the whole game by ganking and keeping them from farming. That's the only strategy I've seen so far.

Quintavius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

OK. So that's one overarching option. snowball strategy

DemolitionDean

10-26-2012

I've only played a few games but I'll try to give you some decisions to make.

Teamcomps: Can't wait for draft mode because 3v3 has always been about counterpicking the enemy. Right now I think the best kind of champs to play are ones that can push well, are mobile and have escapes. If you are playing a squishy champ you are going to need to build some tankiness or be very careful.
Opening Strategies: Altars open up at 2 min, Camps come up at 1:40, Minions spawn at 1:20 or 1:30(don't remember) To start you should take a camp as a group or split up and take 2 camps. People need to get to lane and someone needs to be on the altar when they open at 2 min. You can also invade the enemy side if you feel your team has a better level 1 and try to mess up whatever they are trying to do and maybe even steal their altar.
Responses/counterplay: The EASIEST WAY to get behind is to never contend altars. Try to make sure your team always has at least 1 altar because without one you won't get a gold bonus. If you get behind there are a multitude of ways to come back. If a single champion is a problem on the other team, set up constant 2 vs 1 ganks to keep them under pressure, do everything you can to out farm the enemy, try to set up to take early Vilemaw's uncontested and you'll be back in the game before you know it.
Build synergy: A lot of people are trying to run champions with traps/semi-wards right now because they are afraid of the lack of map awareness. I saw one team run a stealthy comp of shaco/teemo/evelyn (but they lost) For build synergy make sure that SOMEONE will be able to take some serious damage, They don't have to be a true tank but they do need to be able to get in there and survive. A mix of AD and AP damage is nice or you'll have to stack penetration stats.
Jungle routes: I wouldn't say there are distinct jungle routes yet, the jungle spawns very quickly so just take what you can while it's up. Early in the game I prioritize the wolf or wraith camp over the golem camp unless smite is up because the golems do a lot of damage and are hard to take down early game (but they give the most gold/xp i believe)

I hope that helps but with that being said the most important decisions to make in this game mode, is when to split up and farm and when to group up to force objectives. Coordination between your team to keep your farm up while also not sacrificing every objective will win you games. Being able to teamfight well is essential. Also analyzing problems and reacting appropriately are the higher level decisions to be made (example enemy team is heading up to vilemaw, should we fight them there, take the altars, push towers down, b to prepare for a defense, or ignore them and continue to farm? an enemy team memeber is becoming problematic, can we put him/her behind with ganks, will they die off later in the game, do specific defensive items need to be purchased, or should we just swap lanes?)

Hope that helps and you can learn to enjoy the new map and the surplus of strategic decisions to be made, it may seem overwhelming at first since the game is so fast paced, but things will become natural overtime.

OnlyBotLane

10-26-2012

Jungle route? Run around in a triangle and get the most CS in the game.

Quintavius

10-26-2012

Ok...but when?

can you get to 2 before the altar unlocks?