Let's talk about death...Character death that is!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sykper

01-05-2013

Hello wonderful RP community! I was just thinking deeply about the RPs we have going on in general and the various characters involved in each...and something really blantantly obvious occurred to me.

Erm...is there a rule about Character Death yet?

No no, let me elaborate a bit more. Right now currently we have all sorts of RPs going on from dramas to action to romance but there seems to be something missing. Obviously we can't have champions suddenly kill themselves off (unless it is one of those apocalypse threads...*cough*) but I still feel like there is a sort of staleness if characters in any of these settings continue to persist and live on despite overwhelming circumstances! I don't doubt anyone wants their character killed off by the person leading the RP on, but wouldn't that just add a bit of excitement? A little 'True life and death'?

Actually, for you guys here are my questions:

- What is your opinion on OC death?
- What do you believe should be the limitations on the person hosting a thread where other RPers could lose their characters?
- Can this be an alternative to adding depth? For example a character who survives one of the threads could have retained wounds that aren't healable like loss of limb.

Just throwing out some talk, HARMLESS TALK. Be civil! Or I toss a coffee at your face.

Ask the Tempest

01-05-2013

I killed an OC before. That was because of my stupidity of not listening :/

Lord of Apoc

01-05-2013

My main OC has increased regeneration plus he is half protected half corrupted by an archfiend and he has an arsenal of blades he can use. Am I saying he is unkillable no he can be killed but a real pain to kill, he never comes out of a fight unscathed either (you should see the scars he has).
In other words I made a way to keep my OC alive and not make him a god(or in other words again: classic tank).

SmileyDemon

01-05-2013

I am running a continuation of The Dark Trinity called Rise of the Deathless. In Rise of the Deathless the RP takes place five years after the events of the Dark Trinity within which three OC's died and the OC's in Rise remember this and react in such ways that make it worthwhile for me to write and read

Jaykoboy

01-05-2013

I could use some facecoffee.

However, while I do like the idea of permanent death or unrecoverable injury, I feel like the RP here is too casual for anything like that, at least in a day-to-day setting. Now, in the occasional RP, it'd be great IMO. But because of the level of casual-ness on these forums, it should be heavily advertised as a perma-death RP.

Also, sixteen Jays OP.

Sykper

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Apoc View Post
My main OC has increased regeneration plus he is half protected half corrupted by an archfiend and he has an arsenal of blades he can use. Am I saying he is unkillable no he can be killed but a real pain to kill, he never comes out of a fight unscathed either (you should see the scars he has).
That brings up another concept I sort of want to touch on, for those who have characters with very high resilience/near champion immunity to death.

I can't imagine it being too entertaining to jump into threads with fighting in them if you know you will come out victorious, but when two sides collide...like two characters with pretty much the same resilience fight each other, doesn't it sort of bring about frustration? I don't know, I guess I might be over-thinking...

I don't like to play the characters with such potent power unless their intent in a story or RP isn't to die but to inform or move the story along...

Jaykoboy

01-05-2013

That's why Jay doesn't participate in fights. Just sayin'.

Lord of Apoc

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykper View Post
That brings up another concept I sort of want to touch on, for those who have characters with very high resilience/near champion immunity to death.

I can't imagine it being too entertaining to jump into threads with fighting in them if you know you will come out victorious, but when two sides collide...like two characters with pretty much the same resilience fight each other, doesn't it sort of bring about frustration? I don't know, I guess I might be over-thinking...

I don't like to play the characters with such potent power unless their intent in a story or RP isn't to die but to inform or move the story along...
My solution is really low mobility so high mobility OC's that are very squishy have plenty of chance. But the idea of most of my OC's is team work, maybe only 2 of them are actually solo combat material and so the rest are more of a team based character. Another character I have is a spirit who can not die and simply when defeated goes into a state where they regenerate for a few hours or maybe days but they always come back.

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Obviously, OC death is only the responsibility of the owner. If the character's owner doesn't want his character to be killed, he has all rights to keep him alive. Normal players can never force death on someone's character - they can severely injure, maim them, but character death can only be confirmed by the owner, or by the DM.

I've never seen anyone intentionally abusing this general unspoken rule to pull off impossible surviving, or anything of the sort. Usually people just reach an agreement OOC, and if it's decided that the character is killed, it's killed; if not, there is a stroke of luck, or any other Hand Wave maneuver around it.

People just have to be reasonable about it, that's all.

Ask Shenn

01-05-2013

I've seen some OC's die (As well as killing one too)

But through the power of stupid scenarios they somehow come back. I mean some are explainable (i.e. going through trials to bring back loved ones), but other times I'm just there thinking... What?