A Second look at new TT (not rage)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Journeyboy

10-25-2012

About Me:
- I only play 3's, 1499 ranked, 1550ish wins normals.

My first thoughts about new TT:
- I hated it; it was nothing short of mindless wandering and killing. Laning and farm was largely ignored, Vile was rarely attempted and rarely successfully defeated.
Second thoughts:
- So I have had the privileged to try TT as pretty much all roles and all positions. I've also had the privilege to play it as a three's premade. The game truly becomes alive in a 3's premade with 3 other that have played TT extensively. We came up with strategies for capping/protecting alters, we learned when to give an alter in order to get an ace, we learned when to do Vile as early as possible, we learned how to rotate jungle and lane for maximum gold. It was a blast to say the least. However I went back to solo normals and it was dull as anything. In conclusion, I think that either the new TT can either only be enjoyed truly in 3's premade, or we have to wait for the new 3's community to mature into the map. Remember, a lot of these new players are not 3's players at all.

On Wards:
- Though I miss the concept of warding, and not being able to show off cool ward skins; on this map, because of its linear flow, they're not needed.

What to focus on in the 3's
- The game transformed from a more macro focus to a more micro focus. Partly, to do with the map is smaller. Mostly, to do with objectives and jungle access.
- (Just one of many examples) Because everyone has equal access to jungle little things like who should get a rotation in of jungle creeps becomes an option who wants jungle and lane, instead of either jungle or lane. Before it was, if I jungle, I missed some lane farm. Now it's who should jungle, because they probably won't missed much if timed right; so we can either press a lead or catch up someone behind on farm.
- An even more micro example is trying to figure out how to capture an alter with the abilites you and your team have, with the enemy pressing you.
- Obviously there may be better examples I'm not thinking of.

Conclusion:
-Overall, am I sad to see old TT go? Yes. Do I wish I could have it as a separate map to visit it from time to time? Yes. But overall, seeing how your team can dynamically change to adapt to the different challenges on new TT is exciting when organized and coordinated.

~Journeyboy

Brodhi

10-25-2012

The point of the new TT is to be a way to make 3s competitive. Of course normals are going to be mindless, dull killing sprees. It's the same way for Blind Pick SR and Dominion.

Shadow Isles truly takes skill when it is premade vs. premade, but when it is just randoms it feels like a bunch of monkeys are playing.

Journeyboy

10-25-2012

I felt in recent days you could pull off some really cool tactics in Old TT normals because pretty much everyone was on the same page. Most people who play TT, at least at my normal Elo (whatever that is), play TT often or exclusively.

Also because of the map's age people are more mindless than in SR or Domi. I've had people say what are these platform things (alters) and try to cap them when we already have them.

Brodhi

10-25-2012

But TT as a map was not competitive. Could you imagine broadcasting a normal TT map to hundreds of thousands of people? It'd draw almost no viewers because it would consist of one of the bruisers on either team completely dominating the map, then the losing team turtling at their nexus fountain until either they ace the enemy team and win, or get aced and lose.

Sam

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyboy View Post
I felt in recent days you could pull off some really cool tactics in Old TT normals because pretty much everyone was on the same page. Most people who play TT, at least at my normal Elo (whatever that is), play TT often or exclusively.

You either snowball hard or you lose hard that's the old TT. It's too competitive.

Exqzr

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhi View Post
But TT as a map was not competitive. Could you imagine broadcasting a normal TT map to hundreds of thousands of people? It'd draw almost no viewers because it would consist of one of the bruisers on either team completely dominating the map, then the losing team turtling at their nexus fountain until either they ace the enemy team and win, or get aced and lose.
Ah yeah,

This is why long time TTers have been making suggestions on how to make it better but with the same game play, not ... THIS ... whatever THIS is.

Do you honestly believe anyone would watch a stream featuring this new map? no.

Even less so than the old one.

Sam

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exqzr View Post
Ah yeah,

This is why long time TTers have been making suggestions on how to make it better but with the same game play, not ... THIS ... whatever THIS is.

What's wrong with "This"?

Actually a lot of people watch my stream and I only feature this map anyways ^_^

Old one you don't even get people to watch it. Interesting...

Brodhi

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exqzr View Post
Ah yeah,

Current map has a ton of action ALL THE TIME. Between the brushes near speed shrines and altars and the teamfights that erupt around Vilemaw, there is hardly a boring time when it is just "afk farm mode" like you see in the current NA 5s Meta (which is boring to watch). Asian meta has become THE meta because aggressive power play is ALWAYS more effective than passive farming play. Therefore, since Shadow Isles is almost exclusively an action-packed map, will generate a lot of attention compared to Dominion, which is a different meta with a different objective.

Silgon Mobhealer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

i have been playing TT exclusively for almost 2 years now. the new 3v3 map is pointless and i absolutely hate it. that being said the old TT needs to be reimplimented. everyone in my game tonight had nothing but bad things to say about the map. i dont see how it can be competetive considering its basically now just a 3v3 dominion map (which i cant stand dominion in the first place.) It is too small and you have no way to remove yourself from a fight when someone can just catch you from clear on the other side of the map within seconds. this map is stupid and has basically made me not want to play at all anymore considering i dont play SR or CS

Exqzr

10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Såm View Post
What's wrong with "This"?

Actually a lot of people watch my stream and I only feature this map anyways ^_^

Old one you don't even get people to watch it. Interesting...

Seriously Sam?

I am follower. The only reason people watch the new map is because it's new.

That said, I really cant believe you like the new map over the old one. What gives man. You sold out?