Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Am I doing my job correct?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blue Scarlet

10-25-2012

So far so good I guess I'm currently LvL 24 and I am slowing gaining experiences and gaining IP so I can buy runes and other champs, It would be faster if it weren't for retarded feeders, but something keeps bothering me about how I play the game....

My favorite and mostly played champion for me is Leona. I find a strong connection when I used played with her for the first time in my first game, In fact she was the first champ I bought. Although people have been complaining about how I play with her I don't really understand why some folks complain about it but to me I think it does the job.

Early in the game I start off with her Q and get boots and 3 hp pots sometimes I get boots, 1 hp pot, and a ward in case they have a Jungler but usually I get that when I return to town and get it with philo stone. Depending on who I am up against I switch my build for leona every time but always get heart of gold, Merc boots, and phlio stone in the early. For example Forces of nature + Solari Locket if enemy Kat is fed like crazy.... Or a freaking Darius I get Omens + Thornmail especially if I'm against Olaf or Trydamere....

In her Skills I always try to max out my W first and Balance out my Q/E mostly Q because I like to piss people off and Stun them thinking that their going to escape me.
I use both my ULT when I see in Team fights the enemy are grouped up or escaping danger when retreating, INCLUDING saving teammates from bad guys. Not forgetting that I use my ult to catch up with people who flee from me followed up with E then W / Q. I rarely have to flash to catch up to people. Hehehe...

Now in Gameplay, I try to say this a lot to people who try wants to argue with me....
"I'm a TANK! That's my JOB!" I get the fact I'm pose to be the protector of my AD carry and I try to do that. I have to pull off all my combos sometimes to protect them. Dashing towards the chasing enemy with my E and Q them to stun but in this case I'm the one who ends up dying sometimes and I get blamed for feeding while they get the kill....
Or they die and I was able to escape the battle but I pulled off all my Attacks possible to save them and I get blamed for not saving them sometimes that leaves me defenseless also...

It is really frustrating...
When I get blamed for these problems I'm not sure if I'm playing my role correctly...
I'm always the one taking the hits and the first in the fight.... I help my Jungler Leash for the Blue Buff.... and I'm always setting out wards but my teammates always get ganked...

I don't know WHAT I am doing wrong? ...I've been losing games but I have my fair share of wins and Honor points but it's not enough.

What is wrong with me?!?!?!

Kensai07

10-25-2012

Welcome to the online community. Where everything is obviously not anyone's fault, but at the same time it's everyone else fault.

Sereg Anfaug

10-25-2012

Alright, as a support champion, you want to build support items. Your start is actually pretty good... I like philo, HoG, and mercs on Leona as well. However, from there, I pick up an Aegis of the Legion, to give nearby teammates extra armor, MR, and AD. After that, I'll either upgrade my philo to Shurelya's(for the move speed activate, as well as the other defensive stats), or build an additional aura item, usually Soul Shroud or Zeke's Herald. Whichever of those I didn't do, I'll build next, and finally I'll upgrade my HoG to a Locket or Randuin's, situational. I usually never get to that point though, because as a support I'm not last hitting minions unless no one else is around, nor am I last hitting champs unless I'm the only one who can stop them from escaping.

All the passive gold funnels back into wards, which I always keep an open inventory spot for(thus five items in my build and not six). As a pre-30 player, this will not be quite so important, but they will still provide you with an advantage over the opposing team.

As far as protecting your team, part of that comes from initiation, meaning you start fights with Zenith Blade, Shield of Daybreak, and Solar Flare(for the gap closer and stuns), which means initial focus hits you rather then your teammates, allowing them to take advantage of your CC and deal damage to the disabled enemy team. (Learning when to initiate, and when not to, is a matter of experience, but this is how it's supposed to work if you do have a good opportunity for it).

As Leona, you also have Peel, which means pulling sticky opponents off your squishy teammates. Zenith Blade, Shield of Daybreak, and Solar Flare all accomplish this very well also, however, since Zenith Blade might pull you further into danger, using it is situational. When Peeling, you're usually acting as a distraction and a deterrant rather than a sacrifice, so in most situations you should be able to escape safely as well.

Finally, as a support, you may sometimes have to sacrifice yourself to ensure the escape of your teammates. This is also situational, and the best way to illustrate it is to give an example from one of my own games. I was playing as Alistar, sieging the enemy base with several teammates. We stuck around too long, and all of us ended up fleeing down bot lane at very low health, with full health opponents chasing us down. Had we kept running, they would have eventually caught and killed all of us. So I made the decision to headbutt back into them, and use my pulverize to knock them up. This slowed them down and set them back, allowing them to kill me, but letting my two teammates make it to safety.

Hope this helps - Leona is one of my favorite champions as well. Good luck.

beeread

10-26-2012

Hi I am super awesome support beeread here to help you as I reached platinum playing support having mained leona for a short while.

"Early in the game I start off with her Q and get boots and 3 hp pots sometimes I get boots, 1 hp pot, and a ward in case they have a Jungler but usually I get that when I return to town and get it with philo stone"

Starting boots 3 pots draw back is really, REALLY, situational. Only time I think it would work is if either A) you're a smurf playing bads or you're really good B) They have a bad lane against you AND they have a jungler that needs lvl 6 to gank. The thing is with support you can never play the way you want to because you have to compensate for your ad's lack of skill, therefore wards are needed. Often times I buy wards but never use them until it's essential and then the AD's I play with get frustrated when I don't ward even though it's obvious where the jungler/enemy players are almost all game. Also, a lot of supports bandwagon the 'get HoG first' idea, and this might cause an AD you don't play with to be like WTF GET HOG NOOB. Again it's situational, i prefer philo first because health regen is op and I can't heal. HoG has nice bonus HP, but if you're playing properly the 250 or w.e hp shouldn't matter unless you are prone to make mistakes (which is most likely because there are such few good leona players)

"Depending on who I am up against I switch my build for leona every time but always get heart of gold, Merc boots, and phlio stone in the early"

You don't need boots 2, although it's good to have, you can use that 850 towards a kindlegem or aegis. Philo and HoG asap is good.

"For example Forces of nature + Solari Locket if enemy Kat is fed like crazy.... Or a freaking Darius I get Omens + Thornmail especially if I'm against Olaf or Trydamere...."

As a support I feel like any items independent to yourself isn't proper. With good positioning as a support you shouldn't be getting hit, you should be either in the back waiting to cc or on the front lines to CC and then gtfo. Any prolonged attack to you is good because your team can hopefully focus on who is attacking you. If you have items that discourage their attacks then you basically get ignored and you turn into a cc bot with a decent passive. Again, this only sort of mind game stuff happens at high elo, and I'd be glad to explain much more in depth if you like.

the rest i didn't go over because you kind of just ranted, but if you want me to help you in game I added you. Since you play support, people are naturally going to blame you for anything. Just find an AD to play with so you don't have to deal with random ad's ****

Snowfox86

10-26-2012

Communicate with pings more if you need too. If you feel there's a kill that you can safely secure. Press G. target that champion. Could even ping twice to put emphasis (without being annoying) It lets your adc know you're about to give him/her some extra gold.

If your adc is about to do something that's going to get them killed. Say for example, engaging in a fight you can't back up because your skills are on cd or you're oom. Press V. ping them once or twice to let them know that they shouldn't go in. Could even say something at the start like "Hey Ashe. If I ping you to fallback, it means I won't be able to help you should you engage" Or something if you must. I don't do this myself.

Part of being support (to me) is communication. Pay attention to the minimap. If you see a champ obviously heading up or down river to a different lane. Ping it, call it out. Be the person to call mia. (I've gone as far as calling MIA for top/mid as well.) Let your adc know when you're oom, going back, coming back. When your ult is up, (In case they don't realize what that little green dot in the top right corner of your character portrait is) when your exhaust is ready. Etc Etc.

Don't go overboard with the pinging. Do it when necessary. Nothing is more annoying than that one guy who pings the map 8-9 times in a row just for one thing. Once or twice per situation is reasonable. (3 times if you're drawing a line to indicate a path an enemy is taking, but I don't even do this as much these days) If you accidentally KS. Apologize for it. If you secured a kill then realized maybe the adc could have indeed got that kill instead. Apologize for it anyway. "Sorry if that was a KS." They will see that you meant to feed them and will be grateful that you took the high road of admitting a possible mistake. Heck.. I even say "Sorry if that was a KS" even if I know for a fact there was no way the adc could have snagged it. They'll see you as friendly and helpful, and as a support, and they will usually say "No problem! Or, don't worry, kill secured! " You want people comfortable working with you.

I remember one game where I accidentally stole a very obvious kill for my adc. He instantly yelled out in all caps. "omfg you ks'd me wtf!" And I said "I'm sorry, it wasn't intentional." He instantly cooled down, and we were able to work together and win the game.

Will people see the concept of admitting mistakes on the internet as silly and weak? Especially on theeeeeese forums? Of course! I don't care. Being a support that is brave enough to admit a mistake and communicate has won me waaaaay more games than being egotistical.

I found that I got a drastic increase in teamwork honor by communicating and letting my adc know what's up, and I also found a drastic increase of wins as well. I've also noticed an increase in morale as well. People see you actively communicating and they feel better about what they're doing, and may even participate as well.

If the carry still ends up getting himself killed in stupid scenarios. Then the weight is off your shoulders. You already told him/her the situation.

Me Is Happy

10-27-2012

You said your level 24? People in the low levels tend to not care about teamplay. As long as you die you feed. They dont care if you just saved your junglers 400g ora or if you just stole dragon. You die you feed. You feed you noob. Atleast thats my experience in the lower levels.

Invisibleally

10-27-2012

My dear, dear Bluescarla,

Every game I play I've always preferred the role of healer/support and just from the feelings you have conveyed I can tell that you genuinely care about your team. Without a doubt you are doing all that you can to help your team out- good teammates won't bring you down. Remember they just don't see things from your perspective, when someone gives you grief, *gently* remind them you're doing your best.

From one support to another, thank you.

PS a quick story: As Mundo I was tanking for my team a lot and at one point the entire enemy team decided they were going to take me down. Popping my ultimate, I managed to survive for about 30 seconds as they chased me across the map trying to snare and kill me before they finally caught me. After I died I sat back and grinned, thinking how much time I had bought my team and wasted of our opponents, not regretting a moment of it. Two seconds after I died, my team destroyed the enemy nexus, to my surprise and glee. As the support/tank, if you get killed it just means you took as much of the enemy's damage away as you could. Deep down, you have to be able to say that's enough without getting any recognition.

joe42

10-27-2012

no

Mindheady

10-27-2012

keep your head up and become lvl 30 with aroudn 300 wins, people will lose their retardness and will become good and nice, others..... leave the game before they can reach that !

have fun!