New TT: Pros, Cons, and Suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Its Frisky Blue

10-25-2012

Hey all. I've played a few games of the new Twisted Treeline today and in comparison to the absurd number of games I've played on the pre beta, original version, I've come up with a lengthy, but truthful list of pros, cons, and possible suggestions for the next phase of this map. Enjoy.

Pros:

1. Map flow is arguably more dynamic than the previous version in the sense that the jungle isn't just a cluster of tree walls the restrict movement.
  2. Jungling is actually a viable role now that mobs are plentiful, not randomized, and possible to solo at level 1.
  3. The altars give players a reason to actually leave lane for reasons other than just to gank the opposing lane.
  4. The new item set gives a breath of fresh air to players and allows them to experiment with different builds.
  5. Increased gold income rate means you wont be spending the same time you would in a Summoners Rift game just to complete a 3v3.
  6. Vilemaw is actually challenging to kill and gives a less decisive buff so skill is still an important factor to winning team fights whereas previously nuking dragon in 5 seconds earned you an unnecessarily powerful advantage.
  7. Champions with absurdly powerful escape capability aren't as stupendously overpowered as they were before.
  8. The massive impassable "wall" in the front of the base means backdooring is no longer possible, so one player can't simply disrupt your base by flashing in.

Cons:
  1. The altars, at the moment, are absurdly easy to maintain and capture.
  2. Random speed buff in the middle that makes double capping altars absurdly easy.
  3. Level 1 invades to the enemy altar can become infinitely more decisive than a first blood ever could. Simply acing the enemy team at level 1 can secure you both your altar and the enemy altar for 90 seconds.
  4. Starting off with an increased gold amount allows some champions to simply become useful at level 1 whereas as others become quite overpowered for team fights. I played as Karthus, bought Boots and Amplifying Tome and a Potion off the bat and was able to kite the opposing team with my Q while taking about a third of their health with each hit.
  5. The top jungle has been completely eliminated aside from Vilemaw so jungling is too centralized at the moment. It's also worth noting that without multiple pathways up top, it's nearly impossible to gank a top lane player without continually coming from the jungle. In other words, you can't farm up top and come down for a gank so smart top lane players will almost always know ganks will only come from the jungle and not from Vilewmaws side.
  6. The pathway to Vilemaw is too short and as a result, jumping in at the last second to steal the last hit on him is a simple as walking up to him whereas tactically stealing dragon took a well timed push or proper flash.
  7. At the moment, the game informs you when an altar has been captured and when an altar is ready to be captured. There is currently no skill in timing altars.

Suggestions:

1. Instead of having altars that are captured just by standing on them, I think it would make more sense to have a single monster spawn in that location and killing it would provide the team with the buff. Killing the other monster with one buff already active would provide the team with the same buff that is acquired for capturing both altars.
  2. Provide a larger jungle area above top lane with mobs and multiple pathways, with Vilewmaw being the center of this jungle area. This would provide junglers with more opportunity for farm and change the current dynamic of ganking.
  3. Remove the surplus of gold and return it to the standard 475 so strong early game characters don't become death machines immediately.
  4. Perhaps consider replacing the speed buff in the middle with a blue buff of sorts or even a neutral mob like dragon just to help teams secure gold advantages.
  5. Instead of removing wards completely on the basis that their range is too large for the map and that decreasing said range would make them near useless, how about increasing the cost of wards to fit the new rate of income? This would balance the advantage wards would give in such a small map by making them a bit of an investment for said advantage.

Anyways, those are just some thoughts of mine after playing the new TT for a few games. I currently enjoy the map but I think some of the suggestions could most certainly provide additional enjoyment and fix some of the current issues.

Also, to those of you stating that this map is too much like dominion and as a result you hate it, do keep in mind that unlike dominion, you don't start at level 3, you don't have constant sight on laners, you don't have a constant passive that empowers your champion, there are no turrets to capture to damage the enemy nexus, and you don't gain experience constantly. So no, this is nothing like dominion.

Notlad88

10-25-2012

I agree with everything you just said, i do like this suggestion though as fat as the altars go.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloJello100 View Post
instead of two altars i think they need to make one altar in the middle of the map. that give the same 10% buff. and you can capture it every 5 mins. the buff can last for like 2 or 3 mins. with two altars that you can capture of defend every 90 seconds is to fast. you cant stay in lane and farm or anything. you either cap it walk to lane. and have to go to the other one to try and cap it. its stupid. also the speed shrine does nothing so it is pointless. they made it to much like dominion instead of a different game type all together.

Its Frisky Blue

10-25-2012

Bump.