About the Women

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MacDthree

1 Week Ago

First, I would like to say that I already know I'm going to get a ton of hate from the lonely gamers for this, but I don't really care- it's an opinion of mine.

The women in league are starting to get really annoying. As much talent as the artists of Riot seem to have, I'm thoroughly irritated that they waste it by conforming to the morals and stereotypes set by every other form of media. Although we are starting to see a few more female gamers in the LoL community, Riot is really driving a lot of them away. Why does EVERY SINGLE game/movie in existence have to be about boobs and butt. (not that I don't enjoy seeing it, but it's getting old, and it really makes the time put into character design look cheap)

Every strictly animal/disfigured/voidling champion in the game is male. Every time Riot wants to make a female "animal/mech/etc." champion, they make it a shape shifter so that they can still slap giant gaudy boobs on it. (Nid, Cassiopia, Elise, Quinn...) They also make every single female the exact same body type. Tiny waist, huge boobs, big butt, skimpy clothing. Boring. For the love of god come up with something new. How about a classy female champ for once? Especially considering that Riot has no problem making champions that are just bears, scorpions, trolls, etc. as long as they are male. WHY?!?! (Like seriously, Nami is a FISH for crying out loud, and her skin is literally RIPPING open just so they could draw some giant boobs in there. Tasteful)

Even the women in "armor" still have GIANT ****... apparently Riot has never seen any actual warrior/soldier that's a female. The only real exception to this are yordles, Annie(thank god) and Jinx, and Jinx is still barely wearing clothes.

-sorry it's so lengthy, but I figured it needed to be said.

Foolish Lantern

1 Week Ago

I understand your contempt for this extremely prevalent stereotype and share your disappointment.

Men come in all shapes and sizes as shown by the mountains of flesh that are Darius and Garen, the prodigious girth of Gragas, Vladimir's slim figure, and the myriad monsters that creep, crawl, and float through Summoner's Rift. Women are no exception, or at least should not be an exception. Most women in League of Legends, sadly, do not exemplify this reality, generally following the expectation you have outlined above. There are, of course, some deviations, such as Anivia who amounts to a large bird of ice, Kayle, whose every skin exposes little to no flesh, and Jinx, who if given a hair could almost be mistaken for a very effeminate boy. Female monsters are also lacking, what with Anivia being the only one; though heaven help me, I was desperately hoping Vel'Koz would be given a feminine voice actor.

That being said, the issue is not a Riot one, though I am not saying there is no problem, as there most definitely is. What really causes all this grief is a cultural issue. Riot employees are influenced by the world around them, and consequently bring those perceptions with them as they work on League of Legends. I am afraid to say, this problem will not be going away anytime soon, but it is gradually being brought to the forefront of attention.

The best example I can think of that recently came to light was Headhunter Caitlyn; when her skin was first released, there was an enormous outcry that she was wearing little more than a skirt - no different from Traditional Caitlyn - and people demanded she be given pants. The skin was taken down for adjustments, and when it was returned to the PBE, the community's demands had been answered.

I will confess that I appreciate the aesthetics of most female champions, however grossly sexualized they may be at times, but I also understand the need for diversity. Facilitating a stereotype damages our view of the world. It is a terrible message to send audiences on how a woman should look, let alone how she can look.

I suppose what I am attempting to say is: yes, this is a bit of a problem that, sadly, will not be disappearing overnight. However, that should not discourage you from making it known. Keep talking; it takes more than one to change the world.

Auturgist

1 Week Ago

I'm really sad that the only Elise skin currently available that I want is the one I'll never be able to get because I didn't start playing until Season 4 -- unfortunately, there's no way I can get Victorious Elise. I want it because she's wearing full armor instead of running around with her boobs out. I love Elise in concept, and she's fun as hell to play, but her visual design is pretty typical.

That said, while I agree that a lot of the female champions' skins are a bit too focused on T&A, I think you maybe overstate the problem. I really like that some of the ladies -- Kayle and Leona, for example -- wear full armor in many of their skins. Vayne's default skin is another excellent example of one that isn't just fanservice.

But yeah, when you compare some of them to, say, Stripper -- excuse me -- Officer Caitlyn, I can see why you'd be upset. :P

Bioness

1 Week Ago

If you ever needed a bigger support for the problem of all the females have the same look, Riot even admitted that the reason certain female champions are hard to make skins for is because the have the same frame as 80% of the other female champions.

EVERY SINGLE "monster" champion could have easily been made female yet was given a male voice and persona because "women need to be sexy". It is a sad fact that many male gamers/geeks/nerds are oblivious to and when confronted with this fact they ignore it or worse make excuses for why woman "should" have big breast and revealing poses.

It really all started with comics where women frequently had revealing outfits, massive breasts, broken spines, etc, worse still Riot actually used this as an excuse for why splashes like Lux, Sivir, Morgana, Dragonblade Riven, and Popstar Ahri exist.

Personally I find genderswaping the **** they put women in brings a better perspective to how ridiculous it looks.

Examples:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/601922/thu...BOLK-570.jpg?4
http://journeyintoawesome.files.word...pg?w=400&h=606
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/8045...nchvariant.jpg
http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uplo...wkeye-bors.jpg
http://comicsalliance.production.tow...r-sapphire.jpg
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/-3i6YAWoFBg/hqdefault.jpg

Basically, women should have a greater body diversity, however because of the demographic and our society most video games will never do this, this includes League of Legends.

AkaiNeko4

6 Days Ago

Let's be fair. On the other side of the argument, most of the obviously male champs are quite attractive themselves, if less overtly sexualized (for the most part, helloooo, Varus). And like you said, there are female champs who aren't too bad about it; Sejuani, Riven, Vi, Lux, Quinn and Diana are all sensible enough, for instance. And Ahri is hardly a fair example, given that she's basically a succubus.

Overall though, yeah, it's a problem. Not just because of the annoying message it sends in and of itself, but because it starts to looks lazy and uncreative. Pirate hunter, desert mercenary or snow queen, they all start to look the same (i.e., like very good cosplayers).

....or the same, incredibly good cosplayer. Because another problem I think is starting to show is same-facing - go look at Riven and Sivir's thumbnails, for instance. With the art updates, a lot of the female champs are getting to the point that their facial proportions - noses, lips, eyes and so on - are about the same (and most of them seem to have eye-shadow on), which of course only exacerbates the problem of most of them apparently having the same physical model.

SecretLore

6 Days Ago

Overall I think you are right,even if you go a bit over the top with what you say.

First of all lets talk about female animals/monsters:
I think someone from riot admitted that this was a problem.We do have a female animal with anivia,but yeah we really need more.
They said they want to do more monster/non-human champs in the future,so lets hope that there'll be some females among them.

Now about human females:
Well I think they are working on these problems,however you have to keep in mind that in some cases the ****ty outfit is actually a part of the character archetype,meaning that a modest outfit actually wouldn't fit with what the character is supposed to represent,lets make a quick rundown of females who have revealing outfits for a reason:
-Jinx is supposed to look like tank girl,a raider from fallout,a person from mad max,they all share quite revealing clothing,so it fits her character.
-Evelynn is a seductress,so revealing clothing is fitting(however they kinda overdid it in her case,so she could get a bit more clothing with her VU)
-Elise is a black widow,again a seductress,so revealing clothing is fitting.
-Ahri is a gumiho,which,you guessed it,is known to seduce men to take their life force.
-Nidalee is basically a female tarzan.
-Nami she is not a fish,she is a mermaid.Mermaids aren't known for covering up their breasts(very often they are even nude)
-Sivir is supposed to look like Xena and since xena wore revealing clothing,so does sivir.
-Zyra is supposed to resemble poison ivy,which is why she covers so little.
-Anivia,because she is a fricking bird okay?

Some champs also have personalities where revealing clothing is more or less justified
-miss fortune,she was basically designed to be miss fanservice,taking that away from her wouldn't fit that well
-Cassiopeia,well being seductive was her job before she got transformed(also medusa is rarely shown wearing much),however the metal bra looks kinda silly,I'd hope they'll change it a bit in the future.

Other champs however have no real reason to be fully clothed,Ironstylus gathered recently some opinions about caitlyn for a VU and the general direction he seems to be taking her is giving her an outfit that isn't revealing at all.

Bioness

6 Days Ago

SecretLore, you know all of those are possible without giving them outfits that are fresh out of a S@M boutique.

So why do we have 4 seductress female champions along with a myriad of females showing part of their breast, stomach, legs, back, etc. and so few males showing off their chests with the rest covered in armor or have some trait making armor pointless. You giving "reasons" for why the female champions are so exposed does not justify the situation.

Khanthulhu

6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioness View Post
SecretLore, you know all of those are possible without giving them outfits that are fresh out of a S@M boutique.

So why do we have 4 seductress female champions along with a myriad of females showing part of their breast, stomach, legs, back, etc. and so few males showing off their chests with the rest covered in armor or have some trait making armor pointless. You giving "reasons" for why the female champions are so exposed does not justify the situation.
They mentioned all the eye candy for the guys, and the cavity of eye candy for the girls in Yasuo's AMA. Some of the Rioters wanted to rectify this with Yasuo but, as you can see, they left him with some clothing over his physique. Although there are some hints at a Laundry Day Yasuo, so we'll see

On an unrelated note, in Battle Bunny Riven's splash art, you can see both her butt and her breasts. The only way this is possible is if her back is broken.

They broke the girls poor to show off her assets.

Bioness

6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanthulhu View Post
They mentioned all the eye candy for the guys, and the cavity of eye candy for the girls in Yasuo's AMA. Some of the Rioters wanted to rectify this with Yasuo but, as you can see, they left him with some clothing over his physique. Although there are some hints at a Laundry Day Yasuo, so we'll see
As a gay male I have to disagree about the prevalence of male eye candy.

Base and Arclight Varus, Pool Party Graves, and possibly a few Lee Sin skins are the only ones I would ever classify male eye candy. Everything else really isn't, I'd like another person who is attracted to men to back me up when I say male eye candy is almost nonexistent.

Khanthulhu

6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioness View Post
As a gay male I have to disagree about the prevalence of male eye candy.

Base and Arclight Varus, Pool Party Graves, and possibly a few Lee Sin skins are the only ones I would ever classify male eye candy. Everything else really isn't, I'd like another person who is attracted to men to back me up when I say male eye candy is almost nonexistent.
I think I confused you with my imprecise wording. I meant that there isn't much eye candy for those attracted to males but there are lots of eye candy for those attracted to women. We agree on both of those points. Sorry for the confusion and narrow meanings.