Avatar Question

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SomeCallMeEd

Senior Member

10-25-2012

Never really understood the whole LoL avatar system.

I assume since LoL is so big into competitive gaming that only teams for MLG and the like are allowed any sort of custom avatar. you're allowed their avatar if you support them it seems but that's about it. No real customization. The forums I suppose is so it's real easy to pick out Moderators and people that aren't just trolling easily.

Would be awesome to get Surgeon Shen as an avatar, but sadly, a big question mark and Creep art is all us lowely "play for fun" types get I suppose haha.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhantomPX

Junior Member

10-25-2012

Bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpaceSage1991

Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus777 View Post
You cannot manually change your image although there's a few exceptions;

Wrenchman - These have gold names and a gold toolbox. These are technical helpers of the community forums.
Emissary of the League - These have a green head thing and a green name. These are general helpers of the community forums.
Adjucator - Purple head and purple name, these have been in the community since early closed beta and continue to report feedback.
Council - Top ELO players who constantly report feedback on the competitive state.
Riot Staff & Development - They choose what they want.

Hope that helps some.

Kinda, but it would be nice that instead of just focusing on the next patch for the game it would be nice to have some special features on the fourms as well. Sorta would be cool to display like your summoner level and then how many wins and losses you have by your avatar as well as your ribbons. That would be cool...I know that time can but input into other things more so the game itself but just investing a little bit into the fourms would make it feel like a nicer place to go to.

Heck, I didn't start coming into the fourms until just recently and I've been playing the game for 8 months. Only because the fourms didn't really apeal to me as much. I don't mean to sound like Im complaining, just curious as to if anything shall be done to make the fourms more ... interesting to join in and more attractive that is all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSage1991 View Post
Kinda, but it would be nice that instead of just focusing on the next patch for the game it would be nice to have some special features on the fourms as well. Sorta would be cool to display like your summoner level and then how many wins and losses you have by your avatar as well as your ribbons. That would be cool...I know that time can but input into other things more so the game itself but just investing a little bit into the fourms would make it feel like a nicer place to go to.

Heck, I didn't start coming into the fourms until just recently and I've been playing the game for 8 months. Only because the fourms didn't really apeal to me as much. I don't mean to sound like Im complaining, just curious as to if anything shall be done to make the fourms more ... interesting to join in and more attractive that is all.
More chefs doesn't make something get done faster, nor does throwing the waitstaff at the stove. (Translation; putting more designers/coders behind something won't help it get done more quickly, nor will trying to make artists etc work on the forum's code.)

Like I said earlier, I will be posting a reply here shortly, and hopefully it should cover most of your concerns; until then... /shrug


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpaceSage1991

Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
More chefs doesn't make something get done faster, nor does throwing the waitstaff at the stove. (Translation; putting more designers/coders behind something won't help it get done more quickly, nor will trying to make artists etc work on the forum's code.)

Like I said earlier, I will be posting a reply here shortly, and hopefully it should cover most of your concerns; until then... /shrug
I completely understand that and Rome was not built in one day. I do however look forward to your post though! =)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-25-2012

On avatars:
Before I delve into this, a few things I need to point out first:

  • Firstly, I am not a Rioter, nor am I privy to any inside information. This post is entirely comprised of things I've gleaned from various red posts, my experience with the game (three years of playing), and my time on the forums (not insignificant). And okay, some of these are at least partial assumptions due to the fact that I don't have privy info, but I think they're pretty safe assumptions.
  • I am not in any way against avatars for the 'general populace.' In fact, I'd really, really like to see it happen. I don't want to see it done haphazardly though, as I can see a ton of potential for it.

How things currently stand:
  • Currently the only ones who can choose their avatars are Riot employees. For a while they were choosing the headshot of a champion from splash art almost exclusively. More recently however, we've seen an influx of rioters choosing various parts of splash art (Bittersweet Lulu's Cupcake), items (Phage), and champion abilities.
  • There are a handful of groups that have a singular avatar representing them (technically three for Wrenchmen, as they have three different levels). These include the 'volunteer programs' of Wrenchmen/Emissaries, as well as the Council/Adjudicator groups and as far as I can tell a single member of the Senate. The volunteer programs are in the midst of an overhaul, though whether it's almost done or barely started I can only guess.

Why there weren't avatars to start:
  • Back when League of Legends was in beta, there was no guarantee the game would be a success; rather than focusing on forum functionality for a game that might happen, they chose to focus on making sure the game did happen.

Why they didn't add avatars once LoL 'made it':
  • LoL grew in popularity a heck of a lot faster than Riot had realized, and as such the structure of the original forum simply didn't cut it. In short the forums, while fine for the initial population and their early expectations, were super inefficient as the player base grew extensively.

Resource allocation:
  • There are two 'main types' of resources Riot has. Those that are limited and those that they have more readily available. For instance a project that just needs a few extra Player Support Specialists can probably steal some of them for a bit, while one that needs a PS Lead or someone like Lyte (the doktor) will have many more projects competing with it. The 'too many cooks in the kitchen' saying applies to both, but it really only comes up wrt the former.
  • Of course you will have people saying 'well why don't they hire more X?' There are two parts here. First, Riot is really darn selective with who they hire; you need to both know your stuff and be a good fit. Even if they had an abundance of these though, you still can't hire a ton of people to get a handful of projects done if you have nothing lined up for them in the future. Certainly they could contract the forums out, but it's far better to have someone on staff know the ins and outs of your code than have to go back and figure the entire thing out if you want to make any additions or modfications.

In response to suggestions:
  • 'Give us champions/skins/etc': Considering we've had only Riot employees with champions for the longest time, doing this would be exceptionally confusing to the vast majority of players. Certainly most people would get used to it eventually, but at what cost?
  • User submitted avatars: This would require moderation to be implemented, and with the size of the forums is quite likely not even close to feasible.
  • 'But WoW/etc': Yes, but in WoW your forum posting is tied to a specific character, whereas there is no equivalent in LoL. (The closest being champions, which I cover above.) 'You' are a summoner, someone (or something) that is never actually seen in the game.

There's hope!:
  • Riot has mentioned in the past that they wanted to tie Summoner Icons to the forum, but the current tech didn't facilitate that. However, the recent emphasis Summoner Icons (S2 championship icons, S2 icon, and Hallow's End icons all in a short time frame, after quite a while since the singular PFE's icon) hints at the possibility that this functionality could be coming Soon™.

Other thoughts:
  • So, an idea came up in a thread a while ago (from a community member I believe) about letting you choose a Runeterran faction as your avatar. This isn't the only possibility that comes to mind (choosing a Rioter that frequents the forum as a 'faction'), nor does it need to necessarily be your avatar (badges or a similar system come to mind). It does however bring up just a smattering of what could possibly be done with the forums. Why settle for trying to make the LoL forums 'just like' any other forums, when it could be so much more?

(This should be most of it, if something doesn't make sense or you have any questions let me know.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpaceSage1991

Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
On avatars:
Before I delve into this, a few things I need to point out first:
  • Firstly, I am not a Rioter, nor am I privy to any inside information. This post is entirely comprised of things I've gleaned from various red posts, my experience with the game (three years of playing), and my time on the forums (not insignificant). And okay, some of these are at least partial assumptions due to the fact that I don't have privy info, but I think they're pretty safe assumptions.
  • I am not in any way against avatars for the 'general populace.' In fact, I'd really, really like to see it happen. I don't want to see it done haphazardly though, as I can see a ton of potential for it.

How things currently stand:
  • Currently the only ones who can choose their avatars are Riot employees. For a while they were choosing the headshot of a champion from splash art almost exclusively. More recently however, we've seen an influx of rioters choosing various parts of splash art (Bittersweet Lulu's Cupcake), items (Phage), and champion abilities.
  • There are a handful of groups that have a singular avatar representing them (technically three for Wrenchmen, as they have three different levels). These include the 'volunteer programs' of Wrenchmen/Emissaries, as well as the Council/Adjudicator groups and as far as I can tell a single member of the Senate. The volunteer programs are in the midst of an overhaul, though whether it's almost done or barely started I can only guess.

Why there weren't avatars to start:
  • Back when League of Legends was in beta, there was no guarantee the game would be a success; rather than focusing on forum functionality for a game that might happen, they chose to focus on making sure the game did happen.

Why they didn't add avatars once LoL 'made it':
  • LoL grew in popularity a heck of a lot faster than Riot had realized, and as such the structure of the original forum simply didn't cut it. In short the forums, while fine for the initial population and their early expectations, were super inefficient as the player base grew extensively.

Resource allocation:
  • There are two 'main types' of resources Riot has. Those that are limited and those that they have more readily available. For instance a project that just needs a few extra Player Support Specialists can probably steal some of them for a bit, while one that needs a PS Lead or someone like Lyte (the doktor) will have many more projects competing with it. The 'too many cooks in the kitchen' saying applies to both, but it really only comes up wrt the former.
  • Of course you will have people saying 'well why don't they hire more X?' There are two parts here. First, Riot is really darn selective with who they hire; you need to both know your stuff and be a good fit. Even if they had an abundance of these though, you still can't hire a ton of people to get a handful of projects done if you have nothing lined up for them in the future. Certainly they could contract the forums out, but it's far better to have someone on staff know the ins and outs of your code than have to go back and figure the entire thing out if you want to make any additions or modfications.

In response to suggestions:
  • 'Give us champions/skins/etc': Considering we've had only Riot employees with champions for the longest time, doing this would be exceptionally confusing to the vast majority of players. Certainly most people would get used to it eventually, but at what cost?
  • User submitted avatars: This would require moderation to be implemented, and with the size of the forums is quite likely not even close to feasible.
  • 'But WoW/etc': Yes, but in WoW your forum posting is tied to a specific character, whereas there is no equivalent in LoL. (The closest being champions, which I cover above.) 'You' are a summoner, someone (or something) that is never actually seen in the game.

There's hope!:
  • Riot has mentioned in the past that they wanted to tie Summoner Icons to the forum, but the current tech didn't facilitate that. However, the recent emphasis Summoner Icons (S2 championship icons, S2 icon, and Hallow's End icons all in a short time frame, after quite a while since the singular PFE's icon) hints at the possibility that this functionality could be coming Soon™.

Other thoughts:
  • So, an idea came up in a thread a while ago (from a community member I believe) about letting you choose a Runeterran faction as your avatar. This isn't the only possibility that comes to mind (choosing a Rioter that frequents the forum as a 'faction'), nor does it need to necessarily be your avatar (badges or a similar system come to mind). It does however bring up just a smattering of what could possibly be done with the forums. Why settle for trying to make the LoL forums 'just like' any other forums, when it could be so much more?

(This should be most of it, if something doesn't make sense or you have any questions let me know.)


Thank you, after that long post I don't think there's any questions needed. It was very informative and didn't think it would be this big to compose. XD I really realllly appreciate your input on this. Case closed. =)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MatijA0707

Junior Member

10-27-2012

Bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Temphis

Junior Member

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
On avatars:
Before I delve into this, a few things I need to point out first:
  • Firstly, I am not a Rioter, nor am I privy to any inside information. This post is entirely comprised of things I've gleaned from various red posts, my experience with the game (three years of playing), and my time on the forums (not insignificant). And okay, some of these are at least partial assumptions due to the fact that I don't have privy info, but I think they're pretty safe assumptions.
  • I am not in any way against avatars for the 'general populace.' In fact, I'd really, really like to see it happen. I don't want to see it done haphazardly though, as I can see a ton of potential for it.

How things currently stand:
  • Currently the only ones who can choose their avatars are Riot employees. For a while they were choosing the headshot of a champion from splash art almost exclusively. More recently however, we've seen an influx of rioters choosing various parts of splash art (Bittersweet Lulu's Cupcake), items (Phage), and champion abilities.
  • There are a handful of groups that have a singular avatar representing them (technically three for Wrenchmen, as they have three different levels). These include the 'volunteer programs' of Wrenchmen/Emissaries, as well as the Council/Adjudicator groups and as far as I can tell a single member of the Senate. The volunteer programs are in the midst of an overhaul, though whether it's almost done or barely started I can only guess.

Why there weren't avatars to start:
  • Back when League of Legends was in beta, there was no guarantee the game would be a success; rather than focusing on forum functionality for a game that might happen, they chose to focus on making sure the game did happen.

Why they didn't add avatars once LoL 'made it':
  • LoL grew in popularity a heck of a lot faster than Riot had realized, and as such the structure of the original forum simply didn't cut it. In short the forums, while fine for the initial population and their early expectations, were super inefficient as the player base grew extensively.

Resource allocation:
  • There are two 'main types' of resources Riot has. Those that are limited and those that they have more readily available. For instance a project that just needs a few extra Player Support Specialists can probably steal some of them for a bit, while one that needs a PS Lead or someone like Lyte (the doktor) will have many more projects competing with it. The 'too many cooks in the kitchen' saying applies to both, but it really only comes up wrt the former.
  • Of course you will have people saying 'well why don't they hire more X?' There are two parts here. First, Riot is really darn selective with who they hire; you need to both know your stuff and be a good fit. Even if they had an abundance of these though, you still can't hire a ton of people to get a handful of projects done if you have nothing lined up for them in the future. Certainly they could contract the forums out, but it's far better to have someone on staff know the ins and outs of your code than have to go back and figure the entire thing out if you want to make any additions or modfications.

In response to suggestions:
  • 'Give us champions/skins/etc': Considering we've had only Riot employees with champions for the longest time, doing this would be exceptionally confusing to the vast majority of players. Certainly most people would get used to it eventually, but at what cost?
  • User submitted avatars: This would require moderation to be implemented, and with the size of the forums is quite likely not even close to feasible.
  • 'But WoW/etc': Yes, but in WoW your forum posting is tied to a specific character, whereas there is no equivalent in LoL. (The closest being champions, which I cover above.) 'You' are a summoner, someone (or something) that is never actually seen in the game.

There's hope!:
  • Riot has mentioned in the past that they wanted to tie Summoner Icons to the forum, but the current tech didn't facilitate that. However, the recent emphasis Summoner Icons (S2 championship icons, S2 icon, and Hallow's End icons all in a short time frame, after quite a while since the singular PFE's icon) hints at the possibility that this functionality could be coming Soon™.

Other thoughts:
  • So, an idea came up in a thread a while ago (from a community member I believe) about letting you choose a Runeterran faction as your avatar. This isn't the only possibility that comes to mind (choosing a Rioter that frequents the forum as a 'faction'), nor does it need to necessarily be your avatar (badges or a similar system come to mind). It does however bring up just a smattering of what could possibly be done with the forums. Why settle for trying to make the LoL forums 'just like' any other forums, when it could be so much more?

(This should be most of it, if something doesn't make sense or you have any questions let me know.)
Thank you, this does clarify things. I am curious though, why doesn't Riot promote community submitted artwork, and then use it? is it licensing purposes? cause they hold the copy rights of their own characters so it'd be pretty easy for people to do updated character models and skins, not to mention splash art for them, and then they could just pick and choose which ones they liked and put them in the game. I believe I've heard of other games doing this to great success, specifically those that provide playable modded maps and skins, like Counter Strike. A more extreme example, Crysis was not made with a "Capture the Flag" playlist, because they didn't have time, but they allowed the community to make content and used a player created CTF mode after community test playing and made it a regular playlist, so I've heard.

best of all, Riot doesn't even have to give people an incentive, people are more then willing to submit artwork to them for free, so long as the artist receives credit for their work.

On a side note, why do the chinese servers use alternate/updated/better splash arts then the servers in the US? I always figured they'd use better splash art if they had it accessible, but the chinese servers, with the exception of only a few characters, have better splash art for everything. I'd like a lot of that to get updated here too.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fs Son0fSilas

Senior Member

11-11-2012

^ Pool party ziggs was a fan submitted skin idea as was kitty katarina and bunny riven

They take fan sumbitions iif they garner enough support.


123