Riot should have a "Create a Champion Contest"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheHat27

10-31-2012

Ah alright. Admittedly, I haven't been playing very long, only a few months, and my first time here was for the Toggleswitch post, so I will have to take your word on that. I am glad they at least do that much, and I would love to see all the mechanic's they couldn't get to work.

SaintPinHead

10-31-2012

That's what I want to see as well. I haven't been posting here long but have been a casual game for at least 2 or 3 years now. If nothing at more hearing their thoughts on some of the newer mechanics that people think up would be awesome.

Veral42

10-31-2012

I'm just really sad that they decided to create an entire forum devoted towards creating ideas of champions, skins, and abilities but won't ever give a shout out to the people who put in a lot of effort into making kickass champion concepts. I tried to send in a couple of concepts, that someone else did, to the Summoner's Showcase 6-8 months but all I heard from them was some crappy automated reply saying that they appreciate the submission, and that while they won't ever give shoutouts to one of the most creative and devoted branches of their community, they "actively check and participate on" the champion concept forums. I just wish they did something like the proposed contest every now and then to SHOW us that they're "actively participating". Maybe it's just me, but 1-2 riot posts every month isn't what I would call active... especially when there are people who have been posting continuously on these forums for YEARS, just trying to get any kind of feedback they can on their ideas.

TheHat27

10-31-2012

Veral42, that is exactly what I am talking about! I would love to see them actually make what we design. Again, I have only been here a short while, but I am not new to giving ideas to designers and seeing nothing back. That's why I want, just once a season, them to make one or two of our champions. I would never be sad if my champion didn't get picked as I know it would just make the whole forum community better as people would keep making better and better champions, and the design team would actually start paying attention and taking inspiration from this forum.

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

11-04-2012

As someone who has run some large scale Champion Creation Contests it would be nearly unfeasible for this to work. The logistics alone would be insane considering the number of entries that an official contest would receive. More people think they have design skills than art skills and they already get thousands of art entries. Having to read through those entries is a lot more taxing than simply looking at a picture. Maybe something like Riot Games selected 100 people to create Champions and then worked with them or something -- but even then people would be angry because it would lead to bias selection. Also, "design by committee" doesn't work either so having polls decide what would go in would not work either.

proXc

11-05-2012

There are easy ways for Riot to filter down the mass number of entrants... they could simply just pick 20 entries at random out of all the letters... or ask people to add a somehow very visible number between 0 and 1000 to their entry then pick a number at random from a hat.. then only those entrants are considered.
This way Riot can say to 99% of the contestants, "Sorry, you were unlucky."
P.S. Any complaint from the point of selection onwards is most likely to be covered by "You were lucky to get this far, you had this opportunity that many other people wish they had, but there was somebody better than you at design."

Killshotarcher

Recruiter

11-05-2012

I think i'd agree but wait i'm level 29 not 30 so should my oppinion count?

SaintPinHead

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stexe View Post
As someone who has run some large scale Champion Creation Contests it would be nearly unfeasible for this to work. The logistics alone would be insane considering the number of entries that an official contest would receive. More people think they have design skills than art skills and they already get thousands of art entries. Having to read through those entries is a lot more taxing than simply looking at a picture. Maybe something like Riot Games selected 100 people to create Champions and then worked with them or something -- but even then people would be angry because it would lead to bias selection. Also, "design by committee" doesn't work either so having polls decide what would go in would not work either.
I'll give you that there would be a lot of people submitting ideas, and that a large majority wouldn't even be worth the time to read. Although, I'm almost certain after reading the first few abilities, a Riot staff member would be able to state rather the entree is worth their time or not. If it is a rehash, or something they already know they are unable to make work, then that submission would go to the trash bin.

Also I stated a week, but this contest could be a weekend long thing, where contestants only have 3 days to submit an idea (with an announcement 1 month and then again 1 week before submissions are taken.) This could also cut down on the amount of entree they receive. I would also be willing to go as far as to say, once every other season. We are already reducing the amount of entrees with the level 30 condition, but we could go a step further, and state that you must also have been active for at least 1 year (which means you have logged in 7 times a month for 12 months.) Under these conditions I believe we would of cut the total amount of submissions down considerably.

As stated before everything on the contest would branch from the games main menu, redirecting you to a web page that is secured. This would cut down on multiple entrees, and votes. This is again just a concept, and I highly doubt they would do this, but at least it is bringing attention that this forum would like more feedback. I think a lot of the people here would be more than happy to just see a little more red on the forum, and as stated before, not just about ducks (which I'm not a duck guy, would rather see a killer frog on the field imo.)

TheHat27

11-05-2012

I have an alternative to Saint's idea that might actually appease everyone:

Users submit their concepts one a single date, with an announcement beforehand like Saint said.
However, other level 30 users vote for the top 100 (or perhaps 150) that they like on a simple 1-10 scale consisting of questions like (but not limited too):

How much would you pay for this champion?
How excited would you be to see this champion in the game?
How much would you like to play as this champion?

Again, these are just examples off of the top of my head. Then, once the top 100 are decided by users Riot steps in and selects the champions.

OR (this is a second idea I just thought of) they make 3 brackets of all of the submitted champions, then users are able to sign up to be judges and each one is able to vote (again, 1-10) on ONLY the champions in their bracket up to the semifinals, once there are 6 champions left (2 from each bracket) then Riot steps in.

TheHat27

11-09-2012

Bump?