Why is dominion matchmaking so bad?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Westlin

10-24-2012

Teaming up with friends it the best way to get out of the ELO hell section of Dom and I have to say it really does exist. Me and my friends played 7 matches in a row and won them all giving us the boost we needed to get out.

Unstable Fury

10-24-2012

Dominion matchmaking is bad because the scoring system is bad.

For example, ****ty players often get #1 spot...

For example, a kill is worth+15 or something, and a martyr death under a turret gives +40. Therefore some jazzhat on your team that continuously dives and dies can get mad points.

Another example, a ****ty bot player can achieve a high score by LOSING the bot and then RECAPTURING it over and over again, because point caps are worth +40.

ELO is ****ed because the scoring system is ****ed.

HaIfhearted

10-24-2012

@Unstable Fury rather accurate name, eh?
Joking aside, the scoring system has nothing to do with hidden elo.

The scoring system is a gigantic steaming pile of **** and should just be removed entirely, I'll give you that much.

However, our hidden elo and matchmaking is an entirely separate system that ignores score entirely.
That system only cares about whether you win or lose.

NamKim

10-25-2012

There has been times when I wanted to pull my hair out because I tend to get teammates that do not understand how Dominion works at all. I'm sure that there are people on the other team who feels the same way about their team. It's not about if we win or lose, it's about we're playing the game and getting criticized for it because they don't know how to play but think they do.

The example I always bring up is when I see a good opportunity or if my team's bot is not doing so hot (usually against a Yorick, Jax, or Jayce), I like to gank bot since I know these are OP bots and it is incredibly difficult to beat them 1v1. But my team tends to rage at me for ganking bot because "I'm a noob that doesn't understand the Dominion meta."

I don't mind being paired up with bad players. This has never really bothered me since I am not that great a player myself. I get it, my elo is still low, we all still need to practice to get the basics down. But I do get frustrated with those people who think they know everything about Dominion but really don't. But they spend the entire game criticizing everyone else even if they are not doing anything wrong. Sometimes they are playing the game better than everyone but their Dominion score and K/D/A looks bad.

If you are genuinely trying to play but you are having an off day or just a bad player due to lack of experience or trying out someone new (because you're awesome and want to not play the Tier 1/Cheesecake tier champions) then I'm not going to be mad. I might get upset that we lost the game, but that's normal. But I'm mad at losing, not at you. I might give you a few suggestions that you can take with a grain of salt. I do this because Dominion is a great game mode and I don't want to exclude it from people who want to learn to play it. You might be bad now, but you could very well be the next Sauron in the future.

It is very easy to tell the difference between the "2200 elo player on SR" who thinks they are experts at Dominion (but really aren't) who is intentionally ruining the game for everyone and a person who is genuinely trying but having an off day.