Why is dominion matchmaking so bad?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ElementzPRO

10-23-2012

Literally every dominion game I've played has had at least one person leave or feed horribly

and I realize kills aren't worth much but what I mean is they just don't add any pressure because they're always dead

Dominion is the real elo hell lol

Tortferngatr

10-24-2012

Upvoted for a Dominion newbie comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementzPRO View Post
Literally every dominion game I've played has had at least one person leave or feed horribly

and I realize kills aren't worth much but what I mean is they just don't add any pressure because they're always dead

Dominion is the real elo hell lol
First of all: Try grouping with players from chat DominateDominion.

Secondly, stay positive. Communicate with your teammates if you're noticing they're doing stupid things.

Thirdly...you are right in that dying DOES prevent you from applying pressure, and I commend you for recognizing this. For times when death is necessary (stalling a point as Alistar or Karthus, for example,) or when a teamfight goes badly, there is specced Revive, which is pretty much the best summoner on Dominion at the moment right now. :P

Zulgaines

10-24-2012

I think a lot of it is that dominion is unpopular compared to SR and the pool of games that ELO comes from is smaller per person. Riot has said in the past that ELO doesn't start to represent a lot until a high number of games have been played due to how the mathematics of it work.

A lot of times after a game where it feels like no matter what I did or how hard I played, where I went, nothing I did could change the fact that it was going to be a loss I notice some of the people on my team or even the enemy team have a very small number of wins and probably didn't belong anywhere near that match based on actual skill and knowledge of the gamemodes tactics or champions.

Orphane

10-24-2012

Dominion at low levels of play is pretty bad, but it gets better the higher up you go (most of the time, anyways). What you can try to do is lead your team in making calls without being negative, as well as going bot and dominating that lane so you can take pressure off your top.

The small player pool does make it seem really bad, and entry level elo and lower is definitely rather unpleasant with how often there are leavers and trolls. There's not much you can do about those guys but report them and move on.

David12596

10-24-2012

The only thing I don't like dom matchmaking is I tend to get with or against comps that are just...well bad. Last game we had moa (me), ez, kat, sion vs ren, kha, kass, and brand for top. I generally think its better to just have one squishy champion then 2-3 in a comp, but a lot of people never seem to understand that. >.>

I think though if you have a team is willing to work together really well, you can win even with a feeder.

ChaoticHypnotic

10-24-2012

I hate to break it to you, but none of these complaints has anything to do with Dominion matchmaking.

It's your ELO.

The people you are being teamed up with are appropriate for your Dominion experience and ELO. All you can do to improve it is play more and raise that ELO.

Dominion PvP is a stark contrast from SR PvE, so you need to get used to fighting other players more than minions. Teamwork is far more prevalent and important in Dominion too, so raising ELO helps alleviate the frustration you are feeling.

When you get a better feel for how to play, you will find that the people around you are improving also.

Best of luck!

FOODFOOD

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticHypnotic View Post
I hate to break it to you, but none of these complaints has anything to do with Dominion matchmaking.

It's your ELO.

The people you are being teamed up with are appropriate for your Dominion experience and ELO. All you can do to improve it is play more and raise that ELO.

Dominion PvP is a stark contrast from SR PvE, so you need to get used to fighting other players more than minions. Teamwork is far more prevalent and important in Dominion too, so raising ELO helps alleviate the frustration you are feeling.

When you get a better feel for how to play, you will find that the people around you are improving also.

Best of luck!
Not necessarily. It's pretty common knowledge that Dominion MM pools from a pretty wide range of elos. When I was first starting out, I was matched with MMKH who was/is VERY high. I was only in the 1500s at the time!
I think a lot of it has to do with how many people are playing at any given time. At peak hours, I'm usually matched with people about my caliber.

lbgsloan

10-24-2012

Yeah, time of day changes the player pool drastically because of the low numbers. If I try to play after work (EST), it's flash/ignite power hours and awful team comps everywhere to the point where I just stopped playing. It gets better towards 10-11 PM, but long past are the days where it makes any sense to stay up past midnight playing video games on workdays.

Qualiath

10-24-2012

well pvp u want to be 20+ anyways. Bots are still just as fun but pvping like at lvl 10 or something. You will get ownt by a lvl 30 easily!!!!

Somenakedguy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticHypnotic View Post

It's your ELO.

Best of luck!
Yeah, I don't think this is true. I've only been really playing dominion a few weeks and I've played a game or two with Sauron, who it's safe to say has a rather high dominion elo. I do only play blind pick though, because of the short time between games, so I guess that does make a difference.