Suggestions for improving solo ranked play

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Templus

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Adding a suggestion:

Implement a vote to requeue during champion select. Can be initiated by any player, a simple upvote by at least 2 other people will scatter the team and set each player into a requeue with a random between 1-5 minute time addon to their queue (+2 minutes to a person for each time their game has been voted to requeue within the past 30 minutes up to a max of +16 minutes). The time addon cannot be cancel/requeued out of, if you requeue the extra time will still be there (it will count down similar to a dodge, but instead of forcing you to not queue, it will just add its time to your queue when you start a queue).

This will quickly fix troll situations and "MID, NO I MID, NO I MID OR AFK", and other obvious champion select problems immediately without the need to dodge, while giving people a bit of a penalty for doing it (while not too much of a penalty) and making sure people are scattered, and showing someone who continually does something in champ select that causes people to vote to requeue that they are doing something wrong as well as penalizing obvious trolls with long requeue times.


Another suggestion:

Add a similar vote for the first 1-2 minutes of gameplay to "NO CONTEST" the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

V0idGravity

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
That's not the point. Reporting in hero select is not about catching them on the spot, it is about the troll knowing their bad behaviour may eventually catch up with them - Gray the Grayte
Listen im not trying to knock you far from it... but im telling you.. THEY DONT CARE.... I have yet to see anyone worry about being caught now adays... they just don't... Its do what you feel, and know one cares... It's like drive by trolling...

if they didn't penalize for dodging.. I would be fine with it but as it stands now.. Trolls run the joint...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gray the Grayte

Senior Member

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0idGravity View Post
Listen im not trying to knock you far from it... but im telling you.. THEY DONT CARE.... I have yet to see anyone worry about being caught now adays... they just don't... Its do what you feel, and know one cares... It's like drive by trolling...

if they didn't penalize for dodging.. I would be fine with it but as it stands now.. Trolls run the joint...
I am not going to try to judge Riot's motives or attitude. I do however agree with your comment on it being drive by trolling at the moment. It is way worse since they introduced the LP penalty for dodging and the possibility of losing a division and 50 LP just because you got a troll at the wrong time.

My point is that, irrespective of Riot's seeming indifference, just the mere existence of the possibility of being banned for troll behaviour in hero select would be enough to get many people to tone down the volume on the troll dial.

Right now it is obvious to all that there is no way you will be banned. Even if you go into the room and blatently say "I'M GOING TO FEED - HAHAHAHAHA" and cause 50 dodges in the space of an hour there will be no repercussions whatsoever.

Allowing reporting in hero select, making tribunal cases show hero select activity/chat and removing the LP penalty for dodging would all be positives steps forward. If the forums then started to show some "ZOMG I got banned for saying mid or feed" posts it would also help people to take it more seriously.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dizzy Soul

Member

02-17-2013

My suggestions:

  • Matchmaking should incorporate number of wins or games played. Riot says they are already starting to implement this, but I'm still seeing mixed teams of 12, 50, 200, and 29 wins on a team. I'm also seeing matches where one team has a win range of 1-50 and the other team has a range of 100-300, which almost always ends up in a landslide for the latter.

  • Place solo/duo players in an open lobby before committing to a match. Dota does this. Starcraft, Civilization, Sins, and pretty much every other competitive game does this. There's hundreds of obvious reasons why all other games do this. It avoids all the problems ranked play is plagued with, it allows random players to coordinate and make sure they will enjoy playing with each other before committing to the match. It gives time for people to find out how things will work out between them, what strategies they will use, and they are genuine ready to proceed with the match.

    It seems absolutely crazy to force random people together with little time to work out their differences. Then people wonder why most games are so highly toxic, why so many people rage quit, troll or feed. Riot then forces themselves to institute archaic draft dodging penalties, which then forces players to get trapped in games with toxic players and pay a penalty to leave those games. It's such an incredibly stupid system that it still baffles me right now as I think about it. It's so very poorly designed. Riot, please use an OPEN LOBBY!

  • Edit: Use different metrics to track a player's contribution during a match, and possibly their overall skill. I mentioned this in a reply to another post, but I'll add it here as well. Objective based games like Battlefield already do this, and professional sports does this to an even extreme degree. It's not difficult to look at a sample size of 1,000 matches and see what kinds of stats correlate with good or bad players. From personal observations I've noticed better players share some combination of the following attributes:

    • Have a higher win count (or total games played count, showing experience)
    • Have an overall positive K+A/D ratio across most their games.
    • Have a higher creep score or gold earned.
    • Have a higher hit accuracy with their skillshots.
    • Have higher numbers for damage dealt, received(without death), mitigated, or healed.
    • Have higher use rate for applying buffs, cleansing debuffs, mitigating damage against allies, and other team supportive abilities.
    • Connects with more slows, snares and interrupts.
    • Deals more total damage with AOE abilites (lands them better).
    • Have a higher kill (or deny) count for Dragon or Baron
    • Have more champions unlocked.
    • Destroys more towers and objectives.
    • Wins their lane (in creep score and trades) against their opponent.
    • Have more efficient jungle clears.
    • Use more item active abilities.
    • Place more green (and pink) wards.

    These are just some metrics that can be tallied and weighed at the end of a match to determine the contribution level of a player during a match, and gauge their skill level over a large number of matches. They could then use this system to check for unbalanced factors within a game, like AFK/ragequit/trolls, and to more evenly match players, so that most low-elo games aren't decided by one or two people throwing/carrying the whole match. Riot can absolutely design a much better system, if they really wanted to. This is not uncharted territory here. Competitive games (and sports in general) have been doing this sort of thing for decades.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gray the Grayte

Senior Member

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy Soul View Post

Place solo/duo players in an open lobby before committing to a match. Dota does this. Starcraft, Civilization, Sins, and pretty much every other competitive game does this. There's hundreds of obvious reasons why all other games do this. It avoids all the problems ranked play is plagued with, it allows random players to coordinate and make sure they will enjoy playing with each other before committing to the match. It gives time for people to find out how things will work out between them, what strategies they will use, and they are genuine ready to proceed with the match.

It seems absolutely crazy to force random people together with little time to work out their differences. Then people wonder why most games are so highly toxic, why so many people rage quit, troll or feed. Riot then forces themselves to institute archaic draft dodging penalties, which then forces players to get trapped in games with toxic players and pay a penalty to leave those games. It's such an incredibly stupid system that it still baffles me right now as I think about it. It's so very poorly designed. Riot, please use an OPEN LOBBY!
It would add some time to getting games underway but is definitely a reasonable idea. I still prefer the full implementation of role based queuing (using lane positions not hero type) but this could be a lightweight alternative that the role-based queuing detractors would be happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy Soul View Post
Use different metrics to track a player's contribution during a match, and possibly their overall skill.
Unfortunately no matter what clever algorithm you implement you run into the problem of the prisoner's dilemma (google it), a classic problem in game theory where people are incentivised to actually work against the interests of the team in order to get a better outcome for themselves.

For example including K/D/A would have problems such as...
- Game going badly? Stay at fountain so you don't get any more deaths (thereby guaranteeing a loss for your team but ensuring your personal stats look good)
- See an opportunity for a kill? Steal it even if your carry could snowball from the money more.
- Don't play support coz then your ratio will suck.
etc

This is why Riot are not likely to implement it. They want everyone to be in the game 100% without worrying about individual stats.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Templus

Senior Member

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy Soul View Post
My suggestions:

  • Have a higher win count (or total games played count, showing experience)
  • Have an overall positive K+A/D ratio across most their games.
  • Have a higher creep score or gold earned.
  • Have a higher hit accuracy with their skillshots.
  • Have higher numbers for damage dealt, received(without death), mitigated, or healed.
  • Have higher use rate for applying buffs, cleansing debuffs, mitigating damage against allies, and other team supportive abilities.
  • Connects with more slows, snares and interrupts.
  • Deals more total damage with AOE abilites (lands them better).
  • Have a higher kill (or deny) count for Dragon or Baron
  • Have more champions unlocked.
  • Destroys more towers and objectives.
  • Wins their lane (in creep score and trades) against their opponent.
  • Have more efficient jungle clears.
  • Use more item active abilities.
  • Place more green (and pink) wards.

These are just some metrics that can be tallied and weighed at the end of a match to determine the contribution level of a player during a match, and gauge their skill level over a large number of matches. They could then use this system to check for unbalanced factors within a game, like AFK/ragequit/trolls, and to more evenly match players, so that most low-elo games aren't decided by one or two people throwing/carrying the whole match. Riot can absolutely design a much better system, if they really wanted to. This is not uncharted territory here. Competitive games (and sports in general) have been doing this sort of thing for decades.[/LIST]
I outlined a system for tracking a player's contribution to a game: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1502723 Feel free to take a look and add to it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nVy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

03-06-2013

+1 to OP. I suggest adding a level reduction to ban alternative for ranked. Instead of banning them for days, lower their level to 20. Ranked should be a privilege.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mushu Aguayo

Member

03-06-2013

Agreed


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

V0idGravity

Senior Member

03-06-2013

good deal...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Selcopa

Senior Member

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVy View Post
+1 to OP. I suggest adding a level reduction to ban alternative for ranked. Instead of banning them for days, lower their level to 20. Ranked should be a privilege.
I actually like this, I don't know how reasonable it is, but its a unique approach to an idea that I haven't heard before.