Suggestions for improving solo ranked play

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KCIV4

12-02-2012

#6 heck yes...

Xsouldier

12-02-2012

I like all your ideas there would really help. Only thing I have a problem with is the 1 rune page required to play ranked, I understand that frustrations but being in gold and using nothing but skill and a bs rune page (not filled and random runes) If this part of your idea is implemented then that means I get shut out of ranked unless I get a full rune page with lvl 3 runes, I love all your ideas thats the only one that im not really crazy about.

TFFoS

12-04-2012

1) Make the ELO system fairer for blatant 4v5 situations and have instant penalties for the leaver
The suggestions make sense. They must be minor changes (like yours) though, so there is no abuse.
2) Remove randoming entirely from ranked
/signed
3) Implement Hero swapping properly
Meh. It'd be nice, but I understand why Riot doesn't.
4) Have different penalty schemes for ranked vs blind pick
/notsigned. I don't want trolls in either game mode.
5) Have different honor pools for ranked vs blind pick
I don't really care either way. I didn't care much about hats in TF2 either.
6) Allow reporting in hero select and show hero selection chat log in tribunal cases
/signed. Never understood why they didn't show logs in pre/after game chat anyway.
7) Add "roles" to the matchmaking
/halfsigned. First, this will drastically increase wait times, since almost noone wants to play support. Your implementation kinda makes sense, but unfortunately, this prevents people from trying new things and going against the meta. What if you want Support/AP Zyra, Caitlyn mid, Ezrael ADC, Ziggs top, and Lee jungle? Double AD, double the fun.
8) Shelter the experienced players from the brand new players
/halfsigned. I really don't care, since I'm not gonna be down to 1200 ELO anytime soon, but this would most likely be better for older players and worse for new players. Meaning alot of new players could get shot down to 1000 ELO by dumb luck, since there aren't any regulars.
9) Add ward only item slots
/signed

TFFoS

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsouldier View Post
I like all your ideas there would really help. Only thing I have a problem with is the 1 rune page required to play ranked, I understand that frustrations but being in gold and using nothing but skill and a bs rune page (not filled and random runes) If this part of your idea is implemented then that means I get shut out of ranked unless I get a full rune page with lvl 3 runes, I love all your ideas thats the only one that im not really crazy about.
You should really wait till you have a full page of level 3 runes for ranked anyway.

It makes a big difference.

Xsouldier

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFoS View Post
You should really wait till you have a full page of level 3 runes for ranked anyway.

It makes a big difference.

I am well aware of this thank you, I'm making a point not doing what everyone else is.

Gray the Grayte

12-04-2012

Quote:
4) Have different penalty schemes for ranked vs blind pick
/notsigned. I don't want trolls in either game mode.
I am not proposing reducing the likelihood of tribunal cases from blind pick nor reducing the length of blind pick bans. I am not proposing any change to blind pick at all so therefore there will not be more trolling there than there was previously.

Rather I am focused on beefing up the probability of ranked misdemeanors resulting in tribunal cases and having bans resulting from these get the same length of ban from blind pick as before but a longer ban from ranked play. This means they can transition back into the community as the same time they would have previously but they are kept out of competitive play for longer.

Quote:
7) Add "roles" to the matchmaking
/halfsigned. First, this will drastically increase wait times, since almost noone wants to play support.
It's a tradeoff. Yes queuing time will increase, but the flip side is now dodging and trolling will be drastically reduced as the matchmaker puts compatible players together the first time around. I believe what you lose on queueing time you will gain on increased % of games that start. I estimate trolling and queue dodges will be reduced by 80% from this suggestion. Imagine no more re queuing 5 times to get a game and no more feeling like you have to dodge for 30 mins because you got a completely incompatible set of teammates. Also don't forget those who want shorter queuing times will leave the less popular roles selected so it will be self correcting to a certain degree. It will also give Riot valuable insight as to what roles need some attention if noone is wanting to play them.

Quote:
Your implementation kinda makes sense, but unfortunately, this prevents people from trying new things and going against the meta. What if you want Support/AP Zyra, Caitlyn mid, Ezrael ADC, Ziggs top, and Lee jungle? Double AD, double the fun.
It is important you understand the roles I am proposing adding to matchmaking are lane position roles only (top, jungle, mid, bot, support) not team composition roles (adc, tank, ap carry etc). There would be complete freedom to play any team composition role in whatever lane you were assigned. All of the variations you suggested above are catered for happily. The only variation in the meta that would not be provided for would be having a double top lane with no jungler. And obviously that can still be negotiated in hero select ("Hey shall we go double top lane instead of me jungling?"). I say automate for the 99% case and let players work out the remaining 1% in hero select.

Selcopa

12-04-2012

Lane positions still imply certain roles. Players might be comfortable playing top but not playing top as an adc. No matter how you say it. Role selection inhibits meta growth

Gray the Grayte

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
Lane positions still imply certain roles. Players might be comfortable playing top but not playing top as an adc. No matter how you say it. Role selection inhibits meta growth
Under my suggestion the matchmaker will be entirely indifferent on what sort of hero you play in each given lane position. It merely ensures when you start hero selection you have someone expecting to starting in top, bottom, mid, jungle and a support of some kind.

What hero type you play (adc, apc, tank, anti-carry, assassin etc), which lane the support goes, whether they stay there or wander around, whether the support share creeps or goes pure 0cs, whether you invade, whether you defend against invasion - none of that will be in the scope of what I am proposing and can be discussed in chat.

In hundreds of solo queue ranked games I can honestly say I have never once seen a variation in the lane positions that was due to a team strategy decision. Whether it be double lane and no jungle, double jungler, double mid - it was always caused directly by arguments (two people want a position, and noone wants another position and neither is willing to compromise)

I believe nothing in my suggestion solidifies the meta in the way you are referring to and I don't think that there is any implied hero type for each position just some common choices that my suggestion is indifferent to.

And there is nothing to stop people discussing this and changing things up in hero selection as the game itself will not be monitoring where people go when the game launches. All we are providing is a sensible starting point for everyone to cover the 99% case to eliminate most dodges and arguments.

Meserion

12-06-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2868661

My Idea for possible fix to Bad team comps in Ranked its the 3rd post down.

I only link this because I'd like to spread the idea around and I wholeheartedly think it could really fix things.

Venimex

12-07-2012

bump this up