The only thing stopping Annie growing up into another Syndra? Tibbers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kazmahu

10-08-2012

Annie uses fire, and Syndra uses darkness, but they have one thing in common: overwhelming magic potential. Annie's lore mentions she's absurdly powerful for being a preteen, and shaping up to be a frighteningly powerful adult. So why hasn't anyone done anything to make sure she doesn't go postal? Because she's doing it herself. The only other Champion we've seen use any transmogrification is Lulu, and her spell costs a chunk of mana and lasts for a couple of seconds. Annie keeps Tibbers down to a plushie permanently. In this way, Tibbers is acting like Annie's magical pressure relief valve, preventing her from getting drunk on her own power by constantly siphoning her excess; she doesn't get any sort of buff when he's released, since she pours magic into his dire grizzly form to keep him on the leash and cause the area damage.

This means despite being a bit of a brat, Annie's just an eight-year-old brat with enough power to play in the big leagues, rather than going slowly insane from the magical potential building in her body making her disparately more powerful than her peers. If we assume this came about because of her Noxian rebel parents having some Noxian values nonetheless and letting her learn to embrace and use her own power rather than being scared by it, it highlights a worryingly dangerous flaw in Ionian philosophy. Annie was allowed to set her own limits, and quickly adapted and is actively thriving. Ionia tried to ram the same reasoning down Syndra's throat without her consent and created itself a nightmare. Ionia's desire for 'balance' is making it slowly crush itself.

Arcane Azmadi

10-08-2012

Well, Annie also has her parents, who are both also powerful mages. I get the feeling that either Syndra's power didn't run in the family or her parents are dead.

Kazmahu

10-08-2012

Syndra's lore mentions she did get guidance and mentoring once her village elders noticed her magic was getting out of control, they just went about it in a very stupid way considering who they were working with ("Because I'm older and know better than you" doesn't work when they're already teetering on the edge of the deep end). It's been shown that even non-corrupt Noxians believe in building one's own strength and Might Makes Right - even Riven has more problems with the means rather than the end, and it's explicitly stated the Grey Order is after pure magical power, just not Noxus' hyper-aggressiveness. Since Annie has had Tibbers since age 2, and was in an environment where she wasn't feared, she got a much more positive upbringing.

Quiksilvur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

I wholly agree with all of the above.

I think that it's also a matter of Annie's particular situation. Her entire community is exiled from Noxus, and with Swain pulling strings, there's a very real chance that one day her loved ones will be in grave danger. She's grounded in ways by real bonds with her people and life.

Syndra's only bond is with her power. Whether she's just power hungry or magic-manic, she has nothing to ground herself to reality, nothing to temper her abilities into something fruitful. Instead, she has no real reason to use her power except to gain more, which means that she has no reason not to wreak havoc and wantonly ignore authority. Almost symbolically, she's lifted an estate into the air permanently, detaching herself from all the rest of the world and making a point as if to say, "It's just me and my power."

Axxlon

10-10-2012

Huh? Syndra has lore?

Oh... that piece of **** that you c-- ahh. I gotcha.

Washada

10-27-2012

If we consider keeping Tibbers limits her power... If she becomes "Syndra-like", wouldn't she just cosume him to become all-powerfull and gain a godlike ult?