@Racism, LoL, and Riot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DingoUnlimited

10-03-2010

Racism and bigotry, of course, is not something that has spawned out of LoL, but it obviously is apart of our every day lives while surfing the internet. Because of the relative anonymity of the internet and LoL community, people can get away with making hate threads with large generalizations about a whole country of people. I have played CSS, WoW, and many other large scale multilayer games that have servers that sprawl multiple countries. Now that I have played LoL for a while I see that there is a large amount of people who are calling out Brazilians for being bad at the game or being self centered. Nobody ever talks about times where they worked together as a team and won by breaking down the language barrier and acting in a polite and concise manner. These forums are just littered with hate against people of different languages and skill, a trait that is grounded in all humans regardless of race, gender, or values.

All I really want to say is this: Riot, stop ignoring these threads and work with your community to make a good environment for all players to play in. The more you turn your cheek, the more people will try to get your attention. Make a statement other than "I will not post any further on this matter" and try to help alleviate the situation. If you don't know what happens when you ignore the problem, then stroll over to 4chan and click on \b/ to find out. You cant let this just unfold by itself Riot.

AwturOwnage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2010

+1 for maturity.

AloksManolo

10-03-2010

why all this drama?
@riot just ban all those racists

DingoUnlimited

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloksManolo View Post
why all this drama?
@riot just ban all those racists
Banning people for being racist is good, but it does not really stop the feelings from coming up. I just read on another forum post about adding a preferred language choice: these are the kinds of steps that help retroactively stop the problem from even happening.

Sabnitron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoUnlimited View Post
Banning people for being racist is good, but it does not really stop the feelings from coming up. I just read on another forum post about adding a preferred language choice: these are the kinds of steps that help retroactively stop the problem from even happening.
Yes, obviously apartheid stops racism. Great suggestion.

Xetvenen

10-03-2010

Quote:

I agree, a translation system of some sort would be great...I mean FFXI has one, why can't riot do it too?

Uccisore

10-03-2010

And yet as long as Brazilians continue to have the tendencies they have in gaming, this problem will keep on coming up over, and over, and over in any game they are allowed to play. You can scold people for talking about it, call them names like 'bigot' and 'racist' all you want, but all you're doing is defending a blind dogma with no connection to the reality of the situation.

xDiamantx

10-03-2010

Quote:

All I really want to say is this: Riot, stop ignoring these threads and work with your community to make a good environment for all players to play in.
For tl:dr

Mothertrucker

10-03-2010

Doesnt have anything to do with racism .

They ask for seperate servers so both parties stop being trolled . So BRs could play with BRs in peace without being annoyed and for english speaking players to play with each other removing language barriers .

How is it a bad thing that BR gets his own server ? Lower ping and u would all speak the same language .

Its like calling racism when someone says i saw a black guy do xyz. omg omg racism he said he was black , he is a racist !!!! no its just reporting facts

Stop calling out racism for no reason .

BoxmanFTW

10-03-2010

Riot needs to get control of these forums NOW

I am not even talking about deciding whether BR's need their own servers or not but the fighting here HAS to stop

I would even be willing (as I am sure many others would be) to become a volunteer "moderator" with the ability to police and regulate the trash, trolls, and racist remarks that spew from this community

Honestly I am just sick of it...

This place used to be about league of legends and its content not its player base

Again I am neither pro BR or against BR because I have been with feeder Brazilians however I do have several friends on my account who are BR and would hate to see them leave