Clever Girl: Jungling as Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2011

Archaic Knowledge certainly isn't pointless, but I come down hard against sacrificing survivability because historically the vast majority of people who have problems following my guide make huge concessions early for little gain later and then wonder why it's so hard to jungle. I overcompensate accordingly.

I hadn't thought about Ardor, I'm now excited to try out your build. It'll take me some time to farm up the IP.

EverythingIsData

01-23-2011

Yeah, I agree with you there. I should have clarified I was talking about the 9/21/0 layout WRT Archaic Knowledge. There is so much built-in defense, no matter how you distribute the points, that I think you can get away with it.

I've been working at improving my run speed. Currently the best that I can pull off is level 6 by 6:45 or so. I don't have your ninja reflexes, but it's good enough for arts and crafts, only a touch slower than a solo lane. Health levels are good all throughout the jungle, dipping only at the Ancient Golem, and I wrap up level 6 without needing to recall afterward.

As far as practical experience in-game goes, I've found the jungle route to be effective. People have tried to gank me, but my health is so high that they always fail (sometimes eating a death for their efforts). I've had some good fortune in counter-jungling, too. Lots of eyebrows still get raised at a jungle-Akali, though. :P

GoHardOrGoHomo

01-24-2011

Can you run this with 1 AP and 2 HP quints ?

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor402 View Post
Yeah, I agree with you there. I should have clarified I was talking about the 9/21/0 layout WRT Archaic Knowledge. There is so much built-in defense, no matter how you distribute the points, that I think you can get away with it.

I've been working at improving my run speed. Currently the best that I can pull off is level 6 by 6:45 or so. I don't have your ninja reflexes, but it's good enough for arts and crafts, only a touch slower than a solo lane. Health levels are good all throughout the jungle, dipping only at the Ancient Golem, and I wrap up level 6 without needing to recall afterward.

As far as practical experience in-game goes, I've found the jungle route to be effective. People have tried to gank me, but my health is so high that they always fail (sometimes eating a death for their efforts). I've had some good fortune in counter-jungling, too. Lots of eyebrows still get raised at a jungle-Akali, though. :P
I had a thought just now. Rather than using AD seals and sacrificing Armor you could use one AD Quint instead. I did the math and you only need 1/3 Archmage's Savvy and 3/3 Ardor to have 20 AP, so you could spec anything between 2/21/7 and 4/21/5 instead. This setup also costs significantly less IP. I'll try it out tonight as I think I still have my old T3 AD Quint lying around from the original build.

Edit: Math fail. Thought Ardor was 6%, but it's 4%. You definitely need 3/3 Archmage's.

Jungle Akali raises eyebrows because up until recently she actually wasn't a great jungler. So much about her changed after the AD Mark buff that it's actually quite striking, but the community hasn't caught up yet. It's also much easier to fail as Akali than other junglers.

AkitaNeru

01-24-2011

Managed to do most of your current jungle path with neither of Akali's passives up for the first part of it, haha.

It's a little slower, because she does less damage, but it still gets you to level 6 before either of the side lanes, and you're about on par with the solo lanes (not faster).

Tried it twice and it worked both times, but it's significantly riskier than it has to be. I went 9/21/0 (with a 2% exp quint) for both runs to make it work, and cloth armor is still required. Cloth armor gets sold on the first return and traded for a Doran's Blade. Improved Ignite procs Akali's second passive soon after that, though it doesn't help that late in the jungling run. It would help if it proc'd earlier, but since I'm still using AP per level glyphs at the moment, I jungle just as effectively with Archaic Knowledge as with Improved Ignite (tested it both ways, no difference in jungle speed; ignite is necessary for wraiths, though). If I swap to flat AP, ignite will proc her second passive at level 1, and will probably make jungling that much faster and safer for me.

If only I had enough IP to fill out my runepage with flat AP glyphs. :/

Montegomery

01-25-2011

I'm glad you've had some success. It's an unfortunate, hard truth that jungle Akali's viability and potency are heavily dependent upon an exacting, expensive rune page. For many this is a prohibitive barrier to entry, and I wish it weren't so.

I spent some time testing the 4/21/5 build last night. At the moment I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. The loss of 6 APen and 4 AP relative to 14/11/5 is significant in several places, and the 3% CDR loss causes a number of awkward collisions between auto-attacks and abilities. My first attempts were slower than normal without being significantly more secure.

With practice I can probably shave off some of the time and end with higher health than 14/11/5, but the level of precision required is much greater than the already sky-high demands of jungle Akali. I need more time with it to determine whether or not I think it's better.

Witch Bernkastel

01-25-2011

Just had a game with Akali (extremely satisfying, by the way, 36/5/12) where I couldn't help but notice that my opening against the double golems at start didn't kill the first one as it usually does. I open with Q, hit, hit, Smite, and that usually kills the first one outright, but this time it survived a bit longer.

Only served as a minor impediment and didn't stop me from making it all the way through Blue Buff golem before Backing it, but got a bit dicey fighting the wraiths due to being at a bit less health.

Can anyone else confirm this? I know the game likes to bug out sometimes and not load out the correct rune page/masteries, so it might've just been that, but I thought it might also be based on that change to jungle creeps where they have 0 magic res instead of negative.

I'm running 21/0/9 picking up smite+ and ignite+, and my page is flat AD reds, 2 flat AD quints (1 flat health), flat armor yellows, and flat AP blues. (I like to keep the AD reds still even though the Doran's patch made them unneccesary for her passive, since it allows you to 2-shot the wraiths at level 2 after your initial E, instead of 3-shot them.)

AkitaNeru

01-25-2011

It's not just you. It takes more hits to down the Twin Golems, now.

@Mont:

I think I'll probably stick to my 9/21/0 setup. I just need those flat AP runes to make things easier. We'll see how it goes, once I get those going.

I think I have one APen quint on my page, too, to make up for the loss of 6 APen from masteries. Not quite the same, but eh.

Montegomery

01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Bernkastel View Post
Just had a game with Akali (extremely satisfying, by the way, 36/5/12) where I couldn't help but notice that my opening against the double golems at start didn't kill the first one as it usually does. I open with Q, hit, hit, Smite, and that usually kills the first one outright, but this time it survived a bit longer.

Only served as a minor impediment and didn't stop me from making it all the way through Blue Buff golem before Backing it, but got a bit dicey fighting the wraiths due to being at a bit less health.

Can anyone else confirm this? I know the game likes to bug out sometimes and not load out the correct rune page/masteries, so it might've just been that, but I thought it might also be based on that change to jungle creeps where they have 0 magic res instead of negative.

I'm running 21/0/9 picking up smite+ and ignite+, and my page is flat AD reds, 2 flat AD quints (1 flat health), flat armor yellows, and flat AP blues. (I like to keep the AD reds still even though the Doran's patch made them unneccesary for her passive, since it allows you to 2-shot the wraiths at level 2 after your initial E, instead of 3-shot them.)
This is due to the MR change. Smite's damage, as well as Q's, was increased by the negative MR values significantly. As such, you can expect it to take longer to kill most camps.

I heartily recommend using Cloth Armor instead of Doran's Blade. You sacrifice very little speed for gigantic gains in survivability, which is important as you move up into a range where counter-jungling is prevalent.

b0zzY

01-25-2011

Great guide and it really helped me out, thanks. I don't have all of the runes yet (cause of a lack of ip) but enough to be able to pull it off.

One thing I was contemplating is switching out an AP quint for an armor quint and one armor seal for one AP seal. It seems a little counterintuitive, and you lose 4.36 ability power for a 2.85 armor gain. With the three points in Archmage's you still get 20 ability power and the two points in brute force gives you 10 attack damage so both parts of the passive are still activated.

My main reason for thinking about this is so that two points from the defensive mastery tree could go towards increased experience gain, so that you get to level three before the blue golem as opposed to during.

I'm not sure how much slower this will make the overall jungling time (once again because I don't have the runes) but once the jungling phase is over the extra boost in leveling could potentially help you significantly... just a thought.