Clever Girl: Jungling as Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Marius Caesar

12-20-2010

I can't finish blue golem in the first run...
The most i can get is from twin golems - wraiths - wolves - two lizard guards that are attached to blue golem

Then i have to b, get a cloth armor and 2 health pots, bash golem, kill wraiths that just respawned, kill lizard guardians to red lizard, kill twin golems that respawned

b *again*, get boots and 2-3 health pots then thump red lizard for buff.

I mean, i keep up with a duo lane in exp but i wont have a red buff ready until 7 min...

biomorph

12-20-2010

I am not sure what has changed. But I used to complete first sweep without potion when I started using this guide.
But that is all you need to bring a health potion along for your first sweep and then it all falls into place after that.
Might want to update monty or tell us heathens what we do wrong =P

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoot View Post
First -- thank you for your guide. I really enjoy jungle Akali.
Now , the infamous patch .107 nerfed the HP gain on levelup. I'm still using your old rune setup (ap per level blue, arpen red, 2 flat ap quints etc.) and find myself struggling a lot.

How is your take on this particular change? Is your new rune setup viable in this new environment?

I tried mpen reds for lategame purposes but oh man, do I get torn up in jungle.
I think the HP gain change makes jungling much more difficult for the average player. I can still jungle as I did before, but I'm keenly aware that minor inefficiencies and mistakes are far more punishing. As such, I expect Riot will do as they suggested they might and reduce jungle creep damage in a future patch.

Until then, if you're having trouble definitely run with the AD/Armor/Flat AP setup, and use Ignite with the +10 AP mastery rather than Ghost. I'd even suggest taking Perseverance over Good Hands to maximize survivability.

Also, always hit your potion immediately before or during the Wraiths. If you try and save it for the Ancient Golem you're cheating yourself out of health due to the HP gain nerf. Similarly, kill the Ancient Golem before the small lizards. It does three times the damage of both lizards combined.

Anyone still having trouble after following that advice can add me as a friend in-game. Just post here first so I know who you are. I won't be around much until January for obvious reasons, but when I come back I'm planning on rerecording the video with higher quality and my new rune setup.

Galthram

12-21-2010

Amazing guide!

I had awesome results with this yesterday, sure I still don't have all required runes, but I have enough to get both passives with Ignite so I'm doing fine. Also I start with D. Blade and a Pot at Twin Golems, then fo Wraiths, Wolves still with the pot I blue pill to get boots. Becaue I don't have all the runes necessary my HP is too low to go for Blue Golem even with the Pot, and I have exactly the right amount of cash for Boots and nothing else, that's why I save the Pot, because I'll need it to finish the run and be with HP high enough to try a gank.

Something I have to say is that I got a LOT of prejudice and disbelief when they see me with Smite and Ignite and I say I'm jungling, even some rages. Of course that just lasts until I start ganking and show them how terryfing for the enemy team is to never know where Akali will strike next. If you lane with her agood team wil always call MIA on you, when you're jungling sometimes even wards won't save them from getting ganked.

I played 5 games yesterday with her jungling and in my worse game I had a 1.5/1 KD ratio and my best I had 26/5 KD. But every game I performed a lot better than I ever did while laning, specially early/mid game. Two of those 5 games we lost, one because it was 4v5 but we made then suffer to win and the other one my team had no idea WTH they were doing. The other 3 we won easily, the enemies didn't feel like they were noobs and one of those was even another 4v5.

My build order:

Doran's Blade+Pot
Boots of Speed
Amplifying Tome
Sorcerer's Shoes (Unless situation calls for something else)
Rylais Crystal Scepter
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Sheen
Hextech Revolver
Hextech Gunblade
Trinity Force
Zhonya's Ring (Sold Doran's)

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2010

Galthram, I would suggest Lichbane over Trinity Force. With your item selection Lichbane's proc will do much more damage than Trinity Force's and Lichbane is significantly cheaper. The slow, crit and attack speed from Trinity Force are redundant or fairly insignificant.

Alpengeist

12-29-2010

I'm not sure how often you check this... but I've been having success with a 21-3-6 mastery, it lets me get level three without exploding the small lizard. I just take one off the attack speed%. 3% vs 4% doesn't make a difference to me, where the 30% to 15% xp does.

Montegomery

01-05-2011

I've done extensive revisions of the guide. If you have previously read my guide you will barely recognize it.

Most importantly, I have an entirely new video in full HD showing my route that you can find here I've kept the original video on my youtube account for posterity and for those who enjoyed my explanation of what I was doing.

With the buff to Dragon it's become substantially more difficult to fight at level 6. I'm suspecting the Cloth Armor build can do it, but because of the holidays I haven't had time to test yet.

Edit: Somehow I forgot to include a skill order. This has been remedied.

Lord Davros

01-18-2011

I think that the new patch is going to hit akali, monsters having their magic resist raised back to 0 this patch

Ancient Golem
Big Wolf
Lizard
Small Golems

Now Smite will deal 25% less damage, and akali skills/passive will do less damage too.

How do you think about the future of jungle akali?

Montegomery

01-18-2011

Doran's Blade is out. It's AD Marks and Cloth Armor or bust now.

Overall I think Akali will be fine. The jungle metagame is heavily shifting from clearing your jungle in one go to rushing to level 6, which Akali has always preferred. Compare Stonewall's pre-patch Trundle and Warwick videos to my guide and you'll see that Akali was already hitting level 6 30 seconds faster than either of them without blowing Ghost like Warwick had to (twice!).

I will be very surprised if Akali isn't still one of the fastest to level 6.

Edit: Finally managed to get on the servers last night and test. Akali's perfectly fine. I'll update with a new video tonight, servers permitting.

EverythingIsData

01-22-2011

Nice guide OP, very detailed. I'm amazed by how much more quickly you can rage through the jungle by employing those little tweaks here and there to your fighting style. I still come in about 20 seconds slower than you, most times.

I have a suggestion for you though, in terms of build. It's possible to go 9/21/0 with Masteries by making a few tweaks to your rune setup. You can avoid the need for the Utility tree entirely by swapping an XP Quint for an AP one, and make up for the need to activate Akali's AP passive by going either 3/3 Archmage's and 3/3 Ardor, or 3/3 Archmage's and a flat AP Seal. Four flat AD Seals will allow you to drop Brute Force.

The trade here is that you can have Ardor (+4% AS and AP), +60 Health from Scars, -4% damage from Tenacity, and another -1 phys damage from Harden Skin. It costs you 5.64 Armor from the Seal loss, slightly lower AP earlygame (since the previous AP setup is overkill by about 4 points), and the +6 Armor Pen from Sunder (although Offense's 9th point could go into 1 rank or Armor Pen, minion damage, or %magic pen).

I think that's a good trade, personally. Tenacity alone wipes out the loss of the Seals.

EDIT: Also worth noting that while Archaic Knowledge is usually kind of pointless because of how %magic pen works, you have zero magic pen in your rune page and very little in your item build, so Archaic Knowledge ends up doing something useful even against people who don't stack MR. It's worth about -5 MR on a squishy who didn't build any defenses, if you have no flat magic pen, I guess that's something.