Clever Girl: Jungling as Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolossus View Post
hextech isnt worth it because rageblade synergizes far better with akali, she can easily charge it up and gets a ton of ap from it in the process

Quote:
i dont auto attack with akali when im not pushing creep waves, but i can say that because of that you want a rageblade more then a hextech, the lifesteal is a useless stat and the active doesn't do much if you bought rylais
rage blade boosts your AP quite a bit so it is better for your burst
Rageblade is good because it's cheap, not because it synergizes particularly better with Akali. She can't maintain the stacks like Nidalee and other champions do, and her damage tends to be frontloaded which doesn't work well with the stacking mechanic. Finally, the attack speed is a fairly useless stat for her save for taking down towers.

This is why Rageblade is a good early item, but not great later. You can get a big advantage on your opponents by completing this before they've finished their first items, and use that advantage to get early kills and take down towers.

Later the game will either already be over or the power differential between you and your opponents will even out. At that point the low cost of Rageblade doesn't offset its awkwardness or its lack of appreciable survivability.

At that point in the game Lich Bane makes Life Steal relevant, and 25% Spell Vamp is huge. The active effect slows more and for longer than Rylai's, does damage, can be used at a distance and allows you to slow two runners who may not be in Crescent range of one another. In the late game where the quality of each item slot needs to be maximized, survivability is critical, and sustainability matters even more, Hextech Gunblade is simply hands down better than Rageblade.

Quote:

15 seconds could be the difference between getting a whole buff, if you bp and come back when the enemy team has a jungler they could take 1-2 camps and screw you up
There's only one camp up while I bp, the Lizard camp. They can't steal two camps while I'm at the fountain/running back because there aren't two camps available to steal, and I literally arrive at each camp a little before or immediately after they spawn.

Moreover, even if they steal that I'm hurt but not screwed up. I can take the extra time to go harass them in turn or help out in a lane, without having to worry about my ability to jungle disappearing on me.

biomorph

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegomery View Post
Moreover, even if they steal that I'm hurt but not screwed up. I can take the extra time to go harass them in turn or help out in a lane, without having to worry about my ability to jungle disappearing on me.
I have encountered ww and once nunu in jungle where either they tried to steal my buffs or I tried to steal/gank them. I have to say that a lvl 4-6 Akali is far stronger than both of those (specially if you have your lizard on). Even when I was at 50% HP and a ww tried to jump me at lizard the shroud (which makes ww unable to autoattack/leech to his fullest) + insane burst that Akali delivers made short work of him where after I bluepilled and grabbed lizard as a second go.
I feel like I'm dominating the jungle with Akali.

IntFam

10-14-2010

I was using this build and found a stumbling block in attacking the dragon, however, I found that if you save a little gold during your jungling process (you might need to hold off on Rylai's for a few minutes longer than you'd like), grab a fortitude elixir before you hit dragon and you can have it down by the 7 minute mark. And you'll do it in record time. Bonus points if you manage to wreck the opposing team's jungler if he gets there before you do.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntFam View Post
I was using this build and found a stumbling block in attacking the dragon, however, I found that if you save a little gold during your jungling process (you might need to hold off on Rylai's for a few minutes longer than you'd like), grab a fortitude elixir before you hit dragon and you can have it down by the 7 minute mark. And you'll do it in record time. Bonus points if you manage to wreck the opposing team's jungler if he gets there before you do.
I'm curious what was stopping you from killing dragon before. You can see in my video that I kill Dragon without much issue (though very low health). Do you have different runes? Less health at the start? Is Ignite not available?

TopMopFlop

10-26-2010

What now that armor penetration is nerfed, and AD is buffed. Is it still viable, to jungle that fast?

Montegomery

10-26-2010

My build still works exactly as well as it did before. It was one of the first things I tested post patch.

I am also running tests on potential builds with AD Marks instead of APen. I need some time to test them in actual games before I draw any conclusions. Some of my tests so far have gone well, but if you check my recent history you'll see others have gone, in a word, poorly.

Zaephule

10-26-2010

So, is it possible and/or to your advantage to do this before level 30? As in, I am almost level 20, and would like to give this a shot, but am wondering if I would just level slower jungling than laning.

Montegomery

10-27-2010

If you do this before level 30 you probably will not be able to go straight into the blue buff on your first pass. This will slow how quickly you'll level while jungling, but you will probably still be able to out level any enemy duo lanes with practice. Your gank will be weaker, and you will be out leveled easily by solo lanes.

It's worth playing around in practice I suppose, but you'll have to figure out a lot for yourself.

Montegomery

11-03-2010

I've updated with some extra thoughts on rune choices now that AD Marks aren't terrible and CDR affects Akali's ult. A lot of alternative rune setups are now possible, and I really think that CDR has shifted from a meh stat to an amazing stat.

Alpengeist

11-05-2010

Hey, thanks, I've been looking for a good akali guide. I prefer laning with her (love the laning phase) but I needed a guide where I could kill dragon.

This is fantastic.

A question: I'm a very cautious player, is there any way to do this with ghost instead of ignite?