Clever Girl: Jungling as Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2011

Hitting your ganking sweetspot without a lane to abuse is every jungler's lament. There are several courses of action you can take, but the absolute best is fairly simple.

Invade the enemy jungle. By doing so you can either outright kill the enemy (very few junglers are able to handle Akali at this point unless they've been fed multiple kills), steal his jungle, or figure out where he is based on what creep camps are cleared or available and warn your lanes/set up a counter-gank. Remember that stealing the enemy jungle is experience and gold you gain at the enemy jungler's expense. The more you abuse their jungle the easier it becomes as they fall further and further behind.

To reiterate, when all your lanes are pushed and in danger of being ganked your best option is to figure out the location of the enemy jungler and kill them or, being unable to due to distance, warn the endangered lanes. If the enemy jungler is dead or sent packing all three lanes are safe and your team can do whatever they want. There really isn't a better situation you can ask for.

EverythingIsData

03-03-2011

Another thing worth doing is to start throwing down wards at key locations: buffs, jungle entrances, river brush between lanes, etc. It'll slow down your build a little bit, but nothing is better than map awareness. I've gotten a healthy amount of kills by catching people in transition, where it's extremely difficult to get away from Akali.

Also worth noting: get good at tower-diving, because it creates kill opportunities for you. Akali is better at it than most, due to her ultimate and innately high burst damage. If you're jungling with her anyway, you can probably take an extra tower hit just from the extra Armor that you are packing. One of my favorite things to do, when my teammates have pushed their opponents into lowish health under an enemy tower, is to Shadow Dance in from out of sight (with Flash, if necessary), finish them off, and GTFO. Sheen was made for these kind of shenanigans, if you can afford it early enough.

Mejakallu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2011

Awesome guide. I've been trying it on and off for the past few weeks and been having mostly positive success. I'm usually anywhere from 15-30 seconds slower than your best time, but that's probably just a practice thing.

How has .113 changed this setup? The lowered requirement for the passives allows AD marks + only 1 in brute force to proc the spell vamp. However, I'm wondering where this point would even go. Doran's got a buff up to 10 damage, but I'm assuming that since you still can't afford any health pots that it's not viable.

Montegomery

03-15-2011

Assuming there are no weird rounding errors you should be able to activate Discipline of Might with just one point in Brute Force as you say. Similarly you should be able to activate Discipline of Force with just two AP Quints instead of three if you take one point in Ardor. Using an Exp Quint this makes a 13/17/0 mastery setup possible.

Doran's Blade remains unviable.

EverythingIsData

03-15-2011

I'm liking the implications of this change to the passives. The downside of running 9/21/0 to avoid the Utility tree came on the offensive side, in terms of kill speed and timing. If it's possible to rock 13/17/0, that frees up all of the Seals for flat Armor (which should help mitigate the loss of Tenacity), and gives extra points in Offense to distribute between armor pen and bonus damage on minions.

Looking forward to trying it out later.

EverythingIsData

03-15-2011

Well, I tested it out, and the math works in-game as well as in theory. With AD Marks, AP Glyphs, Armor Seals, 2x AP Quints and one EXP Quint, 13/17/0 is possible and pretty effective. I cleared at 6:39 with this one... which is still 10 seconds slower than Montegomery's, but there you go. High health during the whole thing.

It doesn't seem to make a difference in practice, but the tooltips for the activated passives have numbers adjusted for lower values. For example, hovering over Discipline of Might told me that I had 9.9% Spell Vamp, not 10%. Similar situation for Force.

At any rate, I'm satisfied and will be sticking with this load-out. I reclaimed +5-6 Armor from Seals, scored a more useful mastery configuration, and got a faster jungle run out of it.

Montegomery

03-17-2011

I've tested 13/17/0. Slightly more secure than 14/11/5 and 5-10 seconds slower depending on execution. Between the lost AD and AP it takes 5 attacks instead of 4 to take down the large Wraith, which costs time but you still have slightly more health left. The biggest disadvantage is that you can't grab Teleport/Ghost masteries if you want them.

I'd be much more keen on Ignite with this build because it recuperates a ton of time at wraiths and even more if you take the mastery. It's excellent enough that I'm adding it to the guide.

GeShaWuLun

03-19-2011

What about a 17/13/0 build?
You would have to switch one AD red to AP to proc the passive, but it might be (very slightly) more secure than the 14/11/5 build and just as fast.

Splitcart

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegomery View Post
...Between the lost AD and AP it takes 5 attacks instead of 4 to take down the large Wraith, which costs time but you still have slightly more health left...

I'd be much more keen on Ignite with this build because it recuperates a ton of time at wraiths and even more if you take the mastery. It's excellent enough that I'm adding it to the guide.
What ARE the exact break even points? I had just transferred one point from Brute Force into Archaic Knowledge when the rounding patch hit, but noticed that the small lizard in the golem camp (to ding level 3) took one more hit than before.

Basically, what is the bare minimum of points for Sunder and Offensive Mastery before jungling takes too many extra swings? Is it possible to drop points from those to get Archaic Knowledge and/or Ignite Mastery without taking a great deal more time?

Montegomery

03-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxVanity View Post
What about a 17/13/0 build?
You would have to switch one AD red to AP to proc the passive, but it might be (very slightly) more secure than the 14/11/5 build and just as fast.
The one physical damage reduction is balanced in part by Perseverance. The difference between the two is so slight that while 17/13/0 is technically possible I don't see much reason to highlight it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitcart View Post
What ARE the exact break even points? I had just transferred one point from Brute Force into Archaic Knowledge when the rounding patch hit, but noticed that the small lizard in the golem camp (to ding level 3) took one more hit than before.

Basically, what is the bare minimum of points for Sunder and Offensive Mastery before jungling takes too many extra swings? Is it possible to drop points from those to get Archaic Knowledge and/or Ignite Mastery without taking a great deal more time?
There are too many potential break even points and mastery combinations for me to memorize them. I mentioned the additional attack on the Wraith because it's something I observed while testing. Whenever you make changes to your build you should likewise test, observe and make judgement calls as to whether the change is worth the cost.