Clever Girl: Jungling as Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teddyforlife

02-08-2011

The creeps dont follow me as far as they do for you and they end up regenning, any tips? < mainly your first camp. as soon as its lost in fog it returns to its spawn.

EverythingIsData

02-09-2011

There's a distinct difference between the jungle camps on the blue team vs. the ones on the purple team. It's easier to play rope-a-dope with the creeps on the blue team. Maybe that's the issue? On the purple team, I have to take an extra hit from the golems, because I can't run too far.

Mansurji

02-14-2011

Good guide. I'd like to suggest an alternative way, which is leading to 6 in 6:30 also but with a different set-up and +/-.

The difference is the starting item (i got same runes and go 21-0-9). I open with an amp tome which i will turn into an early sheen for the post-6 ganking phase.

The basic route is:
Twins (smite)/ghosts/wolves, level 3 => recall and buy 6-8 health potions
Red (smite)/twins/ghosts/wolves/Blue (smite)/twins/ghosts/wolves (smite), level 6

With 8 health potions you have more than 3/4 of your life when you're level 6, which allow you to gank straight and get one or two kills for a sheen+boots 1 purchase.

With 6 potions you can back/grab sheen (+ a ward) and fully charge your ult while coming for the gank on minute 7. You're dealing dreadful damages vs a level 4-5 squishy, nearly a 1-hit combo.

But, as you stated in your guide

Jungling's most fundamental rule is this: "Be as fast, secure and versatile as possible; the end-game will sort itself out." All junglers considered viable in competitive play adhere to this rule; Akali is not exempted. The runes and masteries in this guide are tuned accordingly. Any changes to this setup decrease the three attributes highlighted by the rule

I'm loosing some security for an extended damage output. I'm under 20% HP once or twice, which can be dangerous but i found it very rare to be in trouble because of it, spec with a shroud+flash combo and a team surveying mini-map+CV support.

As a remark on your basic route video, i don't like your position while doing blue because you have ghost and not flash. You use ghost as an escape mechanism but your position suggest a flash escape, not a ghost one. It can be very dangerous if you're ganked by a stunner here, like Poppy. Imo you would be better in bushes, despite a 3-5 seconds delay on level 6.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeitslow View Post
The creeps dont follow me as far as they do for you and they end up regenning, any tips? < mainly your first camp. as soon as its lost in fog it returns to its spawn.
Are you on the purple side? The leash ranges are different depending whether you're blue or purple and it takes some getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansurji View Post
Good guide. I'd like to suggest an alternative way, which is leading to 6 in 6:30 also but with a different set-up and +/-.

The difference is the starting item (i got same runes and go 21-0-9). I open with an amp tome which i will turn into an early sheen for the post-6 ganking phase.

The basic route is:
Twins (smite)/ghosts/wolves, level 3 => recall and buy 6-8 health potions
Red (smite)/twins/ghosts/wolves/Blue (smite)/twins/ghosts/wolves (smite), level 6

With 8 health potions you have more than 3/4 of your life when you're level 6, which allow you to gank straight and get one or two kills for a sheen+boots 1 purchase.

With 6 potions you can back/grab sheen (+ a ward) and fully charge your ult while coming for the gank on minute 7. You're dealing dreadful damages vs a level 4-5 squishy, nearly a 1-hit combo.

But, as you stated in your guide

Jungling's most fundamental rule is this: "Be as fast, secure and versatile as possible; the end-game will sort itself out." All junglers considered viable in competitive play adhere to this rule; Akali is not exempted. The runes and masteries in this guide are tuned accordingly. Any changes to this setup decrease the three attributes highlighted by the rule

I'm loosing some security for an extended damage output. I'm under 20% HP once or twice, which can be dangerous but i found it very rare to be in trouble because of it, spec with a shroud+flash combo and a team surveying mini-map+CV support.

As a remark on your basic route video, i don't like your position while doing blue because you have ghost and not flash. You use ghost as an escape mechanism but you're position suggest a flash escape, not a ghost one. It can be very dangerous if you're ganked by a stunner here, like Poppy. Imo you would be better in bushes, despite a 3-5 seconds delay on level 6.
This isn't a worthwhile tradeoff in my experience. The build sacrifices security and also versatility hand over fist. The entire benefit of these sacrifices only lasts for one gank, as it's trivial to obtain Sheen either through assist gold from a successful gank or by clearing the minor camps again. That temporary benefit doesn't outweigh the build's susceptibility to disruption.

Remember that it isn't enough to simply not die in the jungle, you need to be able to protect your jungle, counter-jungle, adapt to counter-jungling, cover lanes and potentially also gank before level 6. Amplifying Tome builds simply can't fulfill all those responsibilities as well as a Cloth Armor build.

Regarding my positioning on Blue I do pull it into the bush if I feel there's a threat. It depends on who the enemy jungler is and whether I can see all the other enemy champions on the minimap or not.

Mansurji

02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegomery View Post
This isn't a worthwhile tradeoff in my experience. The build sacrifices security and also versatility hand over fist. The entire benefit of these sacrifices only lasts for one gank, as it's trivial to obtain Sheen either through assist gold from a successful gank or by clearing the minor camps again. That temporary benefit doesn't outweigh the build's susceptibility to disruption.

Remember that it isn't enough to simply not die in the jungle, you need to be able to protect your jungle, counter-jungle, adapt to counter-jungling, cover lanes and potentially also gank before level 6. Amplifying Tome builds simply can't fulfill all those responsibilities as well as a Cloth Armor build.
It's not only for one gank, it makes me one small item above you until we come to guardian angel, in endgame -but i see your point.

Cloth armor vs amp tome is an hard call, imo. Amp tome gives you a stronger nuke and more lifesteal, after the first back i got enough potions to keep health high, even if i might have to wait a bit before engaging a fight. I'll try your build though, to check if it's that much stronger.

What do you call versatility?

AkitaNeru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-14-2011

Quote:
It's not only for one gank, it makes me one small item above you until we come to guardian angel, in endgame -but i see your point.

Cloth armor vs amp tome is an hard call, imo. Amp tome gives you a stronger nuke and more lifesteal, after the first back i got enough potions to keep health high, even if i might have to wait a bit before engaging a fight. I'll try your build though, to check if it's that much stronger.

Don't forget that if you really want that Sheen for your first gank, you can easily just sell the cloth armor on your first trip back and pick up the Amp Tome and health pots. You don't have to hold onto the cloth armor. With the normal route, I pick up an Amp Tome and boots on my first trip back (if possible, and I usually still keep my cloth armor), and on my second trip back, I usually have enough for either a Blasting Wand or a Hextech. This is typically when I'm still level 6, so I don't really see any great time/cost difference between your alternate route/build for the Sheen and a normal run. It probably comes down to how early and effectively you gank, which isn't always possible. In those cases, you could just sell the cloth armor.

Personally, I'm finding that grabbing a Hextech is usually the better choice when going for those ganks, anyway. You require fewer health pots to stay in the jungle and can hold lanes significantly longer. The cost of the Hextech pays for itself a bit in un-purchased health pots for each time you re-enter the jungle with low health directly after a gank attempt.

Either I do that or just rush the Rylai's, as that makes ganks infinitely easier (though laning phase will probably be over or about to end by the time you get Rylai's, even if you rush it).

Sheen is definitely an awesome item, but as far as making jungling better, it's not really that amazing. It helps on ganks, but doesn't a Rylai's help infinitely more?

Montegomery

02-14-2011

Quote:

Versatility is a measure of the viability and quantity of options. The more options, and the better those options, the more versatile and adaptable the jungler.

The Cloth Armor build is powerful not only because it's safe when following the basic route, but because it's capable of following many other paths as well (the Alternative Routes video showcases just a handful of these). You can practically kill whichever camps you want in whatever order you want, a hallmark of the best junglers and absolutely crucial to being competitive.

EverythingIsData

02-14-2011

I have to agree with the importance of keeping a high health level in the jungle. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get bothered in the jungle enough to make it worthwhile. You do not want to get jumped at low health, that's a bad deal even if you manage to survive, because it's disruptive. Better to kick them out of your house.

I hate selling my Cloth Armor, actually. I'll reluctantly let it go if I am ~200g away from an important upgrade, but otherwise I like the added armor. Taking tower and stray minion hits are a way of life, and +18 Armor helps.

AkitaNeru

Recruiter

02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor402 View Post
I have to agree with the importance of keeping a high health level in the jungle. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get bothered in the jungle enough to make it worthwhile. You do not want to get jumped at low health, that's a bad deal even if you manage to survive, because it's disruptive. Better to kick them out of your house.

I hate selling my Cloth Armor, actually. I'll reluctantly let it go if I am ~200g away from an important upgrade, but otherwise I like the added armor. Taking tower and stray minion hits are a way of life, and +18 Armor helps.
Yeah, I tend not to sell it. It's not much of a gold sink, anyway (you can pay it off with, like, 20 seconds in a lane).

It's also always nice to have that bit of extra armor when you're killing the guy who's invading your jungle.

Ayag

02-15-2011

I have some questions about Akali in general, not really about jungling but I assume this is a correct place for those questions.

First of all I am just learning to play hey so there may be some things that I miss about her. I am training her in a purpose of "ranked play", so basically it mean that I would have a solo lane and face a tank, a AP or a melee champ.

I run Flash/Ignite, my masteries are 10/20/0 : http://leaguecraft.com/masteries/100...00000000000000 and my runes are flat ad marks ; hp/lvl yellow, ap/lvl blue, 1 flat ad quint and two hp/5 quint. I start with a tome + hp pot.

So first question, what do you think about my masteries/runes ?
Do you think Ardor 3/3 is viable/useful on Akali ?
Does "Strenght of Spirit" increase hp/5 on Akali (on ninja in general) (maybe silly question, but got to ask) ?