Position with ADC

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xzephyr

10-22-2012

I rarely play ADC but whenever there is no one else I will take up the position. When playing an ADC in team fights the most important thing is positioning right? I was previously being told by other people that i should be going for the other ADC, AP and other squishy targets rather than hitting the the tank. For ex. Im playing Ezreal and i choose to stay back and shoot a cho gath because he is the closest one to me rather than a graves or a Karthus because they were generally on the other side of Cho'gath. It feels as though i would rather get a little bit of damage onto a tanky target rather than taking a risk in a team fight to kill the other carries. Yes? No? Thoughts? or just generally situational?

themaddscientist

10-22-2012

Realistically you should try and hit the nearest enemy carry on their team, but that isn't always possible. When in doubt, don't engage because if you get caught away from your allies, you will die.

The whole point of the tanks being in front of the enemy carries is just so that you don't go after them. If the Cho'Gath next to you hurts, then try and avoid his burst, and then shoot down the carry who is conveniently right there. If they're an off-tank, then they may die pretty quickly if you do focus them, but then the enemy carry will finish them off, fast. If the enemy is a true tank, then just ignore him; he'll just regenerate every hit you put on him.

Overall, aim for the carries whenever you get the opportunity.

Amatzikahni

10-22-2012

Hit whatever you can while being safe. If you have a choice of target, always get the enemy carries first. In some fights, I honestly get zoned out the back because I'm not safe anywhere, and as soon as I go in, I die; in these fights, it may be a short range AD, a team lacking CC, too many assassins, or fed enemies, but regardless, if you can't even deal any damage in a teamfight, you're probably going to lose.

cpandarun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

As the ad carry your job is to stay alive. This is because you have a lot of sustained damage you don't need as much mana you just need to auto attack and you can do it relatively safely. If you get an advantageous opportunity go for the carry (i.e. their carry is sorely out of position and your team can back you up) but you should never put yourself in danger of being cc'ed. It's not the ad carries job to decimate squishies it's the bruisers and assassins who fill that role. Theoretically you should always be attacking in a team fight because of your rang. You do this by going through the layers of the enemy team; initiator, bruiser, ap carry, support, ad carry.

Duridface

10-22-2012

A lot of people don't realize that it isn't the carry's job to kill the other team's carry; your job as ADC is to kill whoever you can hit as fast as you can without getting killed. If you can only hit the tank, kill the tank first. Try to kill the biggest threat you can get to but don't get killed in an effort to get past their team.

miranda please

10-22-2012

if you get high lifesteal, you could go for the carry anyway, hoping that you'll steal back any hp they take from you in the process. once the enemies engage your team and start attacking, it will be more difficult for them to switch their focus onto you, so you could go in, get a kill off pretty quick, then back off. just wait until you see the major cc get thrown out, so you know you won't get hit with it. you can't steal life if you're stunned.

ps. keep in mind the enemy adc will be doing the same thing, so I hope you're better than them

miranda please

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duridface View Post
A lot of people don't realize that it isn't the carry's job to kill the other team's carry; your job as ADC is to kill whoever you can hit as fast as you can without getting killed. If you can only hit the tank, kill the tank first. Try to kill the biggest threat you can get to but don't get killed in an effort to get past their team.
this post actually reminded me of a pretty great video which starts off with that very message. lots of example teamfights, slowed down, with commentary, from the ADC perspective. here's a link to it: (http://youtu.be/8NxlLE5S34Q)

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

As a carry I find that it's better to let your team fully commit before you start hammering away- until your teammates commit, don't do anything other than poke, and even then take great caution. Once the fight is on, though, Definitely go for the more fragile foes. Tanks are doing their job if they are stopping you from damaging their teammates- even at the cost of their own lives- so aim to eliminate the enemy team's damage first.

Flarongz

06-03-2014

meow

Animorpherv1

06-03-2014

If you get a choice, then go for the ADC or APC. However, that's not always the case. Most of the time, you'll have to go through the front line (tanks) and the midline (bruisers) before you get to the back line (ADC/APC). This is totally acceptable, and just means you have to focus out the less important targets first.

It's ALWAYS more important that you live than the enemies carries die. If you die, the teamfight is lost in most situations.