Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What is Elo Hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Candentis

10-24-2012

ELO hell is the reason Evelynn is getting a nerf, since the only way out would be to carry the team, and what better way to do that than with the strongest roamer in the game?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-24-2012

Quote:
CosmicTRex:
ELO Hell is carrying your team so hard you almost out damage the whole opposing team and still losing due to bad decisions and trolls. I admit I have terribad games and I am not some pro but trying to climb past 1100 is nearly impossible with the amount of people who just dont give a **** about others gaming experience.

The two biggest problems are lane calls/pick order no one seems to understand that and respect it, and autolocking champions when a counter pick is inevitable or more advisable. The only thing you can do is consistently play like above which I admit is rare not often do you see 500 cs players and this is a record for myself but you need to be extraodinary to get into these higher elos where people actually care about winning and losing. Unlike the idiots who go in and autolock a mid last pick because they dont want to support or jungle or adc or w/e and completely screw somone else over and then ruin the game for 9 players.

1. Obligatory microscope joke.

2. You scored 495 cs in a 55+ minute match. CS alone isn't going to win you matches. It's about cs relative to time. In fact, it's not even about that. It's about your gold income relative to time. If you're getting a kill every 30 seconds, you can get away with 0 cs to be honest. CS is simply more consistent. But with all that said, if you're at 1100 elo, your cs is probably better than most people in your matches.

3. Consistency is required. Period. You can't have one 11/6/13, 495 cs Varus match and say, "There, see! I'm good enough to play at a higher elo." Because mixed in with that match, your other ranked 5v5 soloqueue matches look like this:

Ryze, 4/9/4, 160 cs
Amumu, 1/10/9, 137 cs (jungle)
Brand, 11/10/8, 238 cs
Ryze, 1/5/3, 201 cs
Warwick, 6/10/20, 153 cs (jungle)

And it's not that you're team can't win with a player like that on their team. They can. Just as you could win while 11/6/13 Varus with a 4/9/4 Ryze on your team. But the point is this, if you belong at a higher Elo, if you play better than everyone at your Elo, you simply don't have matches that look like this. If you're truly better than everyone at your Elo, then all of your matches will look like 11/6/13 Varus (or better).

Yea, it sucks that you lost that 11/6/13 match. But it's a team game. You can't expect to win just because you played well. This match just happened to be a match in which your teammates didn't play well enough to win.

But what about those Ryze matches, just as a for example. What if in those two matches, your teammates were good enough to win the match? If you had a better scoreline, you could potentially have scored wins here rather than losses. And then? You'd have 3 wins out of 6, rather than 1 win out of 6.

I don't understand why the people in Elo hell complain that it's impossible to carry yourself out of Elo hell, then you look at their match history and they have matches like this, where it's pretty obvious to me that the only way for their Elo to improve, playing like this, is for their teammates to carry them out.

And that is evidence that the system does indeed work.

If you play well enough to carry yourself out, even if you're only 100-200 Elo points better than your current Elo, you'll win more games than you lose. It may be a close ratio, but you'll have more wins than losses, and you'll gradually carry yourself out. You won't win them all.

If you're playing at a level that requires your teammates carrying, you may not lose them all, but you'll lose more than you win. You'll gradually drop in Elo.

Tipttt

10-24-2012

So Elo is based on winning or losing games only? Hrm...

AnarchyVo

10-24-2012

Quote:
Beaming Sunlight:
All this is telling me is that you deserve to be at that elo..? And yes, people that claim elo hell to be real and that they are stuck in it are the ones that blame the entire team, except themselves when they lose.

And all this is telling me is that you're a dick. He simply responded to your post now don't be a ass about it.

Energetic

10-24-2012

Quote:
Jollyrftw:
And all this is telling me is that you're a dick. He simply responded to your post now don't be a ass about it.

In no way was I trying to be an ass about what his post was, and in no way can you prove that I was trying to be.