What is Elo Hell?

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Energetic

10-21-2012

All of this talk about Elo Hell is bull, that`s just an excuse for people that really deserve to be down at that elo because they do not understand the simple concept of League of Legends. If you were really that good at LoL you wouldnt be down there to begin with. I myself carried myself from 750-1150 in two weeks. People at that elo deserve to be there. Sorry, just a little rant.

AJStarhiker

10-21-2012

I'm a relatively low elo. Does it bug me? Yeah, a little. I'd love to be good enough to get the cool end-of-season prizes. However, I also know I'm not a great player. I'll try to help my teammates, but I sometimes have trouble recognizing when to jump in to save them and when to run and avoid giving up a double kill. I mostly play support, so my last-hitting skills are poor. While I've gotten better, I'm still prone to getting tunnel vision in lane and forgetting to call MIA's. I'm not really familiar with counterpicking. I could go on, but the point is I belong in low elo.

Do I consider it Elo Hell? Only when I get matched with people who insist the only reason they are down there is because of trolls, noobs, and baddies. The ones who go 16/10/2 because they never join team fights and their 2 assists came from ganks (which they insisted were ks'ed).

tl/dr: Elo hell is an attitude, not a score.

Energetic

10-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJStarhiker View Post
I'm a relatively low elo. Does it bug me? Yeah, a little. I'd love to be good enough to get the cool end-of-season prizes. However, I also know I'm not a great player. I'll try to help my teammates, but I sometimes have trouble recognizing when to jump in to save them and when to run and avoid giving up a double kill. I mostly play support, so my last-hitting skills are poor. While I've gotten better, I'm still prone to getting tunnel vision in lane and forgetting to call MIA's. I'm not really familiar with counterpicking. I could go on, but the point is I belong in low elo.

Do I consider it Elo Hell? Only when I get matched with people who insist the only reason they are down there is because of trolls, noobs, and baddies. The ones who go 16/10/2 because they never join team fights and their 2 assists came from ganks (which they insisted were ks'ed).

tl/dr: Elo hell is an attitude, not a score.

All this is telling me is that you deserve to be at that elo..? And yes, people that claim elo hell to be real and that they are stuck in it are the ones that blame the entire team, except themselves when they lose.

Agent of God

10-21-2012

you're still in elo hell

Salimander

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-21-2012

Elo hell is a magical fairy tale land that people made up so that they can blame that for their elo.
What causes a person to be at the elo they're at are sever things like:
-Luck - who is on your team , who is on your enemy team, do you ahve anyone drunk, anyone lagging, anyone on a short time frame and will afk afterwards, anyone who rages or trolls you (this can happen at ANY ELO)
-Skill- how you do on your own and how you do as a team
-Team comp - who got banned, who's playing who; is everyone playing their main, did anyone get countered
-Mistakes- biggest thing in ranked is people making a mistake and getting snowballed afterwards (play safe, lessen mistakes)
-Teamwork- TALK TALK TALK, WARD WARD WARD, MAP CONTROL IS KEY
gl and have fun season 3

-RemainingUchiha, the one and only fiddlesticks

Solemendal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2012

elo hell is when ur elo gets dropped from afks and when ur 16/0/5 and u lose because somebody wanted to play ap trynd in mid lane and is 0/23/0

SenseiWalrus

10-21-2012

There is always a time when you do really well and your team just feeds nonstop/afk; hence, people make that as an excuse for EVERY game they lose. Truth is... Everyone feeds once in awhile.

t0ad5

10-22-2012

Elo Hell is being screwed (12 games in a row with leavers/afk/trolls/etc) into being stuck with bottom of the barrel people, with which elo loss is perpetual.

With time and some luck you can get out. Just expect a lot of frustration due to the type of people down there, having to dodge champ select a lot due to trolls and people unwilling to work together to build a team, and having to hard carry bads.

Example, last night in champ select:
guy: "playing whatever the f*** I want"
me: "would you care to share what that is with the rest of the team so that we can pick champs around you, and win?"
guy: "no"

Orcca

Wrenchmen

10-22-2012

Every Elo is elo hell, because people never stop trolling, leaving, or raging. You can watch high-level players stream and there's still those same people making games one-sided.

Galivet

10-22-2012

ELO Hell is the elo where your personal leadership ability and your ability to direct the other players on your team becomes more important for winning than your game mechanics.

If you ever watch a video series where a very good player does the whole 800 - 1500 elo climb it goes something like this:

800-1000 elo: The guy wins matches by getting fed and practically 1v5 the enemy team match after match using an ADC or APC. He succeeds through pure game mechanics and tactical decision-making.

1000-1350 elo: The guy wins matches by pinging the map and chatting to his team. He calls mias for lanes that don't do so. He keeps track of timers and pings his team to the dragon just before it respawns. He keeps team morale high by encouragement and calms down ragers. It stops being a video game and becomes big lame leadership exercise. At this point the guy's win rate usually drops down a lot because the random factors of his teammates become more dominant.

1350+ elo: The guy wins matches through a combination of getting somewhat fed and by leading the team at key points in the game (e.g. teamfight initiation, when to sneak the baron, etc...)

If you're in ELO Hell, it's because although you have decent game mechanics (good enough to keep a positive k/d ration most games) you don't have the personality or leadership ability to cheerlead your team to victory by pinging the map and chatting with them.

Unfortunately League of Legends is not just a game of skill, it's also a social game of communication and feelings and influencing people. If you're "just" a gamer, you won't get very far in this game. You might prefer something like SC2 that only depends on your personal gamer skills.

12345 ... 6