My thoughts on the Shadow island map

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twilight Monkey

10-20-2012

14 Hours Ago
I have been playing the new map for a while now and I have now a better grasp then on my previous comments on the matter.

What the new map is: The new map is exciting, fast paced and extremely cutthroat. By design, it is more dangerous then ever to wander alone since you can get ganked and never have a chance to escape or get saved. Fantastic work for a new and different design and play concept.

What it is not: Twisted Treeline. No, its not. Aside from the teams of 3, everything else has been changed. Simply What is there from the old map? Only two lines, 3 champs and similar fountains: everything else in between is gone. The least modified aspect is the mega creep roughly in the top section of the map.

Note: I am going to refer the ''old TT'' either has the original or the traditional TT since I do not want to assume it will be gone and refer the ''new TT'' has the Shadow island map due to its entirely unique aspect.

I entirely support those who think the Shadow Island should be its own map and should not replace the original TT, The map is great and is certainly worthy of being a new 3v3 alternative just like Dominion is to SR. I have been a TT player for a long time and I still enjoy it more then its big brother and cousin. I know the feeling is not the same throughout the LOL player community, but over time TT got its very own fan base, players who enjoys different, intense strategies that comes from a somewhat harder map.
Sure, frequent players addressed some problems like the fountain laser killin' minions and how hard it was to crack the enemy base, but they were simple to implement. The Shadow Island map has perfectly designed bases that could be implemented in the original.

The rest of it is over-design.

Its not bad, mind you. Has I said, its great! But not just what we expected or wanted, that's the reason why we don't see it has a proper 'replacement'. We enjoy the original TT and don't want it replaced. Its not only a matter of wards or shrines or control points or respawn times: I think those aspect are pointed out most because they are the obvious differences between the original TT and the Shadow Island map. I also think the removal of one or more of these won't be enough to get the traditional TT feeling or play. They are perfectly justified and well thought innovations for the new format and would probably unbalance its current play if tempered with, I trust the designers for their legitimacy.

Conclusion: Simply change the bases in the traditional TT (we can wait a little longer) and bring forth The Shadow Island has its very own map! No mere replacement, it will be a worthy companion to its compatriot: it deserves nothing less!

-The Twilight Monkey

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Monkey View Post
14 Hours Ago
I have been playing the new map for a while now and I have now a better grasp then on my previous comments on the matter.

What the new map is: The new map is exciting, fast paced and extremely cutthroat. By design, it is more dangerous then ever to wander alone since you can get ganked and never have a chance to escape or get saved. Fantastic work for a new and different design and play concept.

What it is not: Twisted Treeline. No, its not. Aside from the teams of 3, everything else has been changed. Simply What is there from the old map? Only two lines, 3 champs and similar fountains: everything else in between is gone. The least modified aspect is the mega creep roughly in the top section of the map.

Note: I am going to refer the ''old TT'' either has the original or the traditional TT since I do not want to assume it will be gone and refer the ''new TT'' has the Shadow island map due to its entirely unique aspect.

I entirely support those who think the Shadow Island should be its own map and should not replace the original TT, The map is great and is certainly worthy of being a new 3v3 alternative just like Dominion is to SR. I have been a TT player for a long time and I still enjoy it more then its big brother and cousin. I know the feeling is not the same throughout the LOL player community, but over time TT got its very own fan base, players who enjoys different, intense strategies that comes from a somewhat harder map.
Sure, frequent players addressed some problems like the fountain laser killin' minions and how hard it was to crack the enemy base, but they were simple to implement. The Shadow Island map has perfectly designed bases that could be implemented in the original.

The rest of it is over-design.

Its not bad, mind you. Has I said, its great! But not just what we expected or wanted, that's the reason why we don't see it has a proper 'replacement'. We enjoy the original TT and don't want it replaced. Its not only a matter of wards or shrines or control points or respawn times: I think those aspect are pointed out most because they are the obvious differences between the original TT and the Shadow Island map. I also think the removal of one or more of these won't be enough to get the traditional TT feeling or play. They are perfectly justified and well thought innovations for the new format and would probably unbalance its current play if tempered with, I trust the designers for their legitimacy.

Conclusion: Simply change the bases in the traditional TT (we can wait a little longer) and bring forth The Shadow Island has its very own map! No mere replacement, it will be a worthy companion to its compatriot: it deserves nothing less!

-The Twilight Monkey
Rsik of getting downvoted but that's almost impossible to do the current game's UI (or rather 4 Uis) only alllows for four maps and they overwrote Twisted treeline's UI to make the New TT similar to how they rewrote Winter summoners rift to make proving grounds.