Nunu the Jungle Yeti: Early Game Ganking, Late Game Tanking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Penoor

10-19-2010

i often go 9/6/15 masteries as nunu and w/ 2 cloth armor (for frozen heart after banshees) attk speed quints and marks, flat armor seals i find it minimal risk (assuming flash is up) to dragon at level 4

Bigmantree

10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosMoe View Post
Seriously, you need to stream that.
Having had more than 600 matches as Nunu this is something I can only believe when I see it.
To me, this occurs once in a blue moon, and only if I play with a full premade which knows how to bait the enemy team into my bush.

I have tried your proposed 9/21/0 masteries and found a way to solo Dragon quite early. In the long run, defensive masteries are indeed better and the reduced damage you take while jungling is quite helpful. Getting an early Heart of Gold from your starting Cloth Armor is also better than getting a Mardred's Razor (for Wriggle's later on).
Those types of ults are hard to get off in lanes, but towards the end of a game most fights still tend to occur around towers where the enemy's often make the mistake of bunching up. When that happens is the best time to strike. Also, liberal use of wards in bushes lets you know when they are gathered in a bush and you can flash in on them. Those are the two situations I most commonly get 4-5 people in.

As I explained to the other poster, that was also a list of possibilities. The actual amounts one single ult will cause to be blown is something more like: 2 flashes, 3-4 interrupts, maybe a champion ult and maybe one champion flash equivalent. My phrasing was confusing. I should have said "that's somewhere around 400 to 600 seconds for one 90 second ult.' It's still a fantastic trade though. I am also thinking much more late game, once the team fighting phase has started. Obviously I won't be getting many of those ults off in the ganking phase when no more than 3 champions are together at any one time. I'd love to stream one day, just gotta get a decent computer first!

Also my proposed masteries were 1/21/8, not 9/21/0, maybe it was a typo :P

The extra experience just helps far too much. But yeah, the defensive masteries just keep you topped off on health so well in the jungle.

The earliest dragon I've been able to figure out is getting Blue buff immediately without smite and then dragoning level 2, but it requires an elixir. Lvl 3 dragon is pretty easy with your standard starter items and a defensive build. Doing early dragon though, while nice, really detracts from your ability to gank early. Also if the enemy runs into you while you are doing it you are dead and they get a free kill. In the least you waste flash and lose time and health for no gain. Just not worth the risk imo.

Also, I really don't believe Wriggle's or Madred's are good items on Nunu. Your consume does enough damage to creeps and getting those items sets you too far back in tanking for my liking. In addition, this results in less effective ults early and mid game (ganking phases, when you stand a chance of getting good full duration ults off) because you won't have your Banshee's as soon as you would otherwise.

-Bigmantree out

Telandra

10-20-2010

bump

Telandra

10-22-2010

bump

Volkner

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-22-2010

Awesome guide, dunno if it's worth noting that your solo queue rating is 1609, 5v5 ranked is 1636.

Boots + 3 pots as starting items, and not running low on hp while jungling is also just too cool - hadn't quite thought of that before. x.x

Telandra

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkner View Post
Awesome guide, dunno if it's worth noting that your solo queue rating is 1609, 5v5 ranked is 1636.

Boots + 3 pots as starting items, and not running low on hp while jungling is also just too cool - hadn't quite thought of that before. x.x

Ratings are boss

Boots are boss

Ganks are boss

Telandra

10-24-2010

bump to keep nunu's alive everywhere

poopookaka

10-25-2010

I'm going to give this build and strat a try, you guys have lots of good points and insight. I've been playing with a pseudo AP build depending on who I'm facing but my problem is I can't carry the team when I'm queued with Feeders / people who aren't at least close to my level....

I rush for Rod of Ages (HP first) with masteries for improved smite (70secs cd with 21 in utility), 1GP / 10 secs and 3Gp/10 secs from Quints, MP Pen, Dodge and Mana.

Then I usually go for either Deathfire or Randuins depending on enemy make up and add in boots.

It's been working so far in shutting down tanks and damage dealers... Thoughts? (Though I made tons of gold when I had a tf on my team in TT and got rod of ages in 7 minutes...)

Telandra

10-25-2010

I don't believe the gold/10 quints are ever worth it, and nunu really needs to be defense specc'd (not allowing for the 1gp10 spec.

4gold per10 is equivalent to 24 gold a minute; or 480 gold in the first 20 minutes of the game. So instead of starting with 100 more HP at level 1, you get the equivalent of a ruby crystal at 20 minutes in.

Gold after that point is less noticeable because it effects less of the game's entire duration and you generally make more gold at 20 minutes in than at the start of the game.

It's just not good enough.

**Notice**
This post assumes the average game length of 32 minutes, about right for mid-high elo and such.
Lower ELO games will last longer mostly due to horrible coordination on pushes and so on. (increasing the value of gold per 10 quints/talent)

Bigmantree

10-25-2010

Rod of Ages also gimps your absolute Zero for the first twenty or so minutes of the game because you won't be able to get banshee's until much later. Banshee's is especially important with ranks 1 and 2 of Absolute Zero, as those are the times in your game when it is most effective as a damage spell.

Deathfire is also a very big nono for Nunu in my opinion. It gives absolutely no tanky stats to you and focuses on single target damage.

The gold per second just isn't worth it compared to the advantages other quints provide you, and that 4% damage reduction from defense is too noticeable late game to miss out on for 1 gold/10 seconds.

For a more AP based build I think RoA may work, but only because of the recent changes to it (before it just took far too long to stack up to be worth it).

-Bigmantree out