Nunu the Jungle Yeti: Early Game Ganking, Late Game Tanking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dark Caller

Junior Member

10-12-2010

I thought this was an excellent guide. I jungled with Nunu earlier today, and the only problem was that two of my moves (smite and consume) aren't usable on champions. It becomes a little more palatable if you think of consume as a heal instead of an attack, but it's definitely a change in mindset compared to standard laning with other heroes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Telandra

Senior Member

10-13-2010

ty


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Telandra

Senior Member

10-13-2010

Here i am making sure the message is spread


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Telandra

Senior Member

10-14-2010

Shamed bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bigmantree

Member

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telandra View Post
Shamed bump
You have no shame good sir.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drathas

Junior Member

10-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telandra View Post
You're missing the point that you just helped make.
The two spells are not comparable because:
Galio's ult is used to CC
Nunu's ult is used to attract CC.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Gj on that one
Unfortunately you are wrong. The two spells are comparable because the end result is not having your carries CC'd. Nunu accomplishes this by having the enemy team use cc's on him while Galio accomplishes this by having the entire team CC'd so they can not even cast them in the first place. End result, your carries are not cc'd. I would even go so far as to say that Galio's is better because the team does not have a choice while Nunu's enemy team has the choice of using it on him or on your carries. With enough MR/HP/Veils/CC/Flash Nunu's ult does pitiful damage, this does not pose enough threat to cause the enemy team to throw CC's at him when they know full well that after his ult, Nunu poses almost no threat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Telandra

Senior Member

10-16-2010

I'm going to let bigman argue that one, because I am lazy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bigmantree

Member

10-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathas View Post
Unfortunately you are wrong. The two spells are comparable because the end result is not having your carries CC'd. Nunu accomplishes this by having the enemy team use cc's on him while Galio accomplishes this by having the entire team CC'd so they can not even cast them in the first place. End result, your carries are not cc'd. I would even go so far as to say that Galio's is better because the team does not have a choice while Nunu's enemy team has the choice of using it on him or on your carries. With enough MR/HP/Veils/CC/Flash Nunu's ult does pitiful damage, this does not pose enough threat to cause the enemy team to throw CC's at him when they know full well that after his ult, Nunu poses almost no threat.
This just simply isn't true. In lower elo games (below 1500) some teams decide to ignore a Nunu ulting and they generally pay for it in the form of their deaths. In anything 1500+ enemies throw every thing and the kitchen sink at you to stop you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathas View Post
With enough MR/HP/Veils/CC/Flash Nunu's ult does pitiful damage, this does not pose enough threat to cause the enemy team to throw CC's at him when they know full well that after his ult, Nunu poses almost no threat.
A fully charged Nunu ult is a lot of damage, even without an iota of AP. It cannot be ignored. If their entire team decides to stack MR because of you then you have hurt their carries damage capabilities, meaning your physicals can go wild. This also gives you some leniency in item build, as you don't need to be as tanky as usual to deal with them. Get a void staff or an abyssal scepter and laugh at their stacked MR (Nunu's ult scales amazingly well with AP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathas View Post
The two spells are comparable because the end result is not having your carries CC'd. Nunu accomplishes this by having the enemy team use cc's on him while Galio accomplishes this by having the entire team CC'd so they can not even cast them in the first place. End result, your carries are not cc'd.
Galio's ult is fantastic but only prevents the cc of your carries while it is occuring. That's good, but noone in high elo is going to throw all their cc at galio after he ults them. You also can't escape Galio's ult, meaning people won't be using their summoner spells to escape it (at most they will use them to escape your team after it goes off). A good Galio ult forces a fight where the enemy is at the disadvantage because they are lower life overall, but Galio can largely be ignored after it and your carries focused with all the unused cc the enemy team has.

Nunu is largely ignored after his ult often times, yes. But he still has blood boil to throw on an ally carry which makes a significant difference with heroes like MF and Twitch. Also, if they are ignoring you this give you free reign to white hit/ice blast down their squishies to whom you do do significant enough damage. It's not a given that you will be ignored after your ult though. Even the best teams, when they see a tank at half life and the rest of his team at near full can fall into the trap of focusing the tank. After all the cc/spells thrown at you during your ult you often find yourself at 50-75% health. This means a lot of times the enemy team will try to focus you down.

Your argument is that not getting cced for the duration of Galio's ult (2.5 seconds) is somehow equivalent to throwing all of their cc and summoner spells on cooldown is simply a flawed argument. It also ignored the role of enemies outside of the ults. In Galio's case they will, yes, throw cc at Galio. But if Galio's ult i stopped it significantly reduces the advantage his ult creates for you team. On the other hand, cc will still be thrown at Nunu and that is what he wants.

This isn't even considering the difference in cooldown durations of these two ults. Nunu's is a far lower cooldown, meaning it can be used more efficiently and more often to throw the enemies spells on cooldown. Exchanging an ult that ends up doing no damage (cooldown 90 seconds without cdr) for multiple 200 second+ cooldowns is great as far as I'm concerned. It means the next team fight you'll have your ult and they won't have those escape spells. It also makes initiating harder for them, as well as escaping your team.

My average ult (assuming all enemy abilities off cd) results in 2-3 flashes, maybe one ghost, one champion flash equivalent, and a minimum of 3-4 silences/stuns/interrupts. That's around 720-920 total seconds of cooldowns exchanged for one 90 second cooldown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathas View Post
Unfortunately you are wrong. The two spells are comparable because the end result is not having your carries CC'd.
The end result is not the same at all. Galio's ult makes the immediate team fight extremely advantageous to his team by keeping them incapable of doing anything for 2.5 seconds and taking a significant chunk out of their health. However, he can't do it again for another 130 seconds (max rank no cdr). Also, after his ult they are free to blows their cds on whoever/whatever they choose.

Nunu on the other hand makes them blow all their cc and summoner spells to escape/stop his ult. This makes the immediate team fight advantageous to his team because the enemy can't focus down your carries without that cc. However, it also makes any team fight in the next 2-4 minutes advantageous because you have made the enemies blow all their summoner spells/ult stuns (perfect examples of this are Warwick and Sona's ults, very easy to bait with Absolute Zero). This also means that the next time you initiate you are much more likely to get a longer duration ult off. In fact I should really add that to the ult section of this guide.

There, I've compared them. And look at that, they serve different functions! Who would've guessed? Not having your carries cced for 2.5 seconds is not equivalent to putting all of the enemies spells on cd plain and simple.

Stupid lazy Telandra.

-Bigmantree out


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drathas

Junior Member

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
In anything 1500+ enemies throw every thing and the kitchen sink at you to stop you.
At 1500+ they throw exactly 2 interrupts at you, one to break Banshee's and the other to interrupt, most of the time its by the same champ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
A fully charged Nunu ult is a lot of damage, even without an iota of AP. It cannot be ignored. If their entire team decides to stack MR because of you then you have hurt their carries damage capabilities, meaning your physicals can go wild. This also gives you some leniency in item build, as you don't need to be as tanky as usual to deal with them. Get a void staff or an abyssal scepter and laugh at their stacked MR (Nunu's ult scales amazingly well with AP).
A fully charged ult is a lot of damage, no doubt. But with how many champs have interrupts how often do you get off a fully charged ult? Almost no team would stack MR just to counter Nunu, but what boots do you buy 99% of the games? And even with that little MR from boots combined with an easily interrupted ultimate equals pitiful damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
You also can't escape Galio's ult, meaning people won't be using their summoner spells to escape it (at most they will use them to escape your team after it goes off). A good Galio ult forces a fight where the enemy is at the disadvantage because they are lower life overall,
You can't escape Galio's ult is one of the biggest advantages he has over Nunu. People won't use their summoner abilities to escape it they will use the abilities to escape your team. End result = summoner abilities on cooldown. Also your Kassadin just ate their entire team trying to run away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
but Galio can largely be ignored after it and your carries focused with all the unused cc the enemy team has. Nunu is largely ignored after his ult often times, yes. But he still has blood boil to throw on an ally carry which makes a significant difference with heroes like MF and Twitch. Also, if they are ignoring you this give you free reign to white hit/ice blast down their squishies to whom you do do significant enough damage. It's not a given that you will be ignored after your ult though. Even the best teams, when they see a tank at half life and the rest of his team at near full can fall into the trap of focusing the tank. After all the cc/spells thrown at you during your ult you often find yourself at 50-75% health. This means a lot of times the enemy team will try to focus you down.
Maybe at 900 ELO they will focus a tank after all his abilities are on cooldown. Also Blood Boil is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
Your argument is that not getting cced for the duration of Galio's ult (2.5 seconds) is somehow equivalent to throwing all of their cc and summoner spells on cooldown is simply a flawed argument. It also ignored the role of enemies outside of the ults. In Galio's case they will, yes, throw cc at Galio. But if Galio's ult i stopped it significantly reduces the advantage his ult creates for you team. On the other hand, cc will still be thrown at Nunu and that is what he wants.
How long does it take to burst down a carry champ? Less than 2.5 seconds? The difference is a live carry who will destroy your team vs a dead carry and a loss of multiple towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
This isn't even considering the difference in cooldown durations of these two ults. Nunu's is a far lower cooldown, meaning it can be used more efficiently and more often to throw the enemies spells on cooldown. Exchanging an ult that ends up doing no damage (cooldown 90 seconds without cdr) for multiple 200 second+ cooldowns is great as far as I'm concerned. It means the next team fight you'll have your ult and they won't have those escape spells. It also makes initiating harder for them, as well as escaping your team.
I forgot to research the cooldowns but even so, it only takes one solid team fight to pretty much win the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
My average ult (assuming all enemy abilities off cd) results in 2-3 flashes, maybe one ghost, one champion flash equivalent, and a minimum of 3-4 silences/stuns/interrupts. That's around 720-920 total seconds of cooldowns exchanged for one 90 second cooldown.
Uhhh, no. 2-3 flashes + ghost + flash equivalent = 4-5 champs. No champ is going to flash away and THEN decide to interrupt your ult after they escape taking zero damage. After they have wasted their summoner abilities what happens when you ultimate next?
Hardcounters #1: Champions who can interrupt it (36/61):
Hardcounters #2: Champions who can avoid all damage from it (10/61 + 4 Champion Abilities + 2 items):
Hardcounters #3: Champions who can easily escape it (20/61 + 3 Summoner Spells + 1 item):
Softcounters: Champions who can drastically reduce damage taken by the Ultimate (17/61 + 6 Champion Abilities):

Now the list of Champions who do not have any hardcounters to Nunu's Ultimate (if they do not have Flash) (12/60):
Taken from http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=59339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
The end result is not the same at all. Galio's ult makes the immediate team fight extremely advantageous to his team by keeping them incapable of doing anything for 2.5 seconds and taking a significant chunk out of their health. However, he can't do it again for another 130 seconds (max rank no cdr). Also, after his ult they are free to blows their cds on whoever/whatever they choose.
Those that survive can use their cds on whoever they choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmantree View Post
There, I've compared them. And look at that, they serve different functions! Who would've guessed? Not having your carries cced for 2.5 seconds is not equivalent to putting all of the enemies spells on cd plain and simple.
Putting all(2) of the enemies spells on cooldown != to having 2 dead champs on the enemy team plain and simple.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Telandra

Senior Member

10-17-2010

Oh my god, Please stop talking.

You don't even play ranked games, how the hell would you know anything.

Time to watch Bigman destroy you