Need to learn top lane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ravagestar

10-19-2012

I've recently hit lvl 30 and realized my best position is mid. Everything else is concernedly shaky. I just wanted to know a few good tips to get better as a bruiser and top lane in general. What's a good bruiser to practice with?

Heavens77

10-19-2012

Top lane is no longer bruiser only, it has the most diverse champion pool of all the lanes.

1) Its the 1v1 Lane, you will get bare minimum interaction, usually the jungler, occasionally mid lane.
2) Its the Counterpick lane, because of this knowing which champions beat or do well againest others is very important.
3) Because of the previous 2 statements, It is the most snowbally lane in the entire game. 1 single kill can really mess your laning phase up
3a) To expand upon the previous point -- Its super common for the jungler to level 2 gank top to try and start the snowball in your teams favor.

Generally you will pick your champion based around 2 major factors
a) What top laner benefits my team the most?
You have no tank? Yorick. No CC? Cho'Gath Not enough dmg? Vlad.
b) What champion beats my lane opponents?
http://lolcounter.com/ Is a good starter site to get some recommendations

Some strats that revolve around top lane are as follows
1) Split Pushing; Shen, Nidalee, Singed, Teemo, Summoner Teleport (This usually means you have a slightly weaker team fight, but not always.)
2) 2v1 Switch with Bot; Shen, Olaf, Yorick -- This works well when you have an aggressive team that wants to tower push really early and look to get the upper hand at the start.
3) Double AP Comp. Running a Tanky mage toplane while your midlane picks a typical mage. Vlad, Kennen, Rumble are the top 3 most common top lane mages.

Another good way to build your top lane is around a Gimmick with a fellow team member some examples are:
Yorick + Cass -- Shen + Twisted Fate --- Singed + Anivia --- Vlad + Orianna --- Jax + Leona

General champions you will find in this lane are; Riven, Rumble, Vlad, Kennen, Darius, Rengar, Yorick, Shen, Olaf, Irelia, Teemo, Jax, Cho'gath, Udyr, Lee Sin, Jarven, Gangplank, Jayce, Kha'Zik, Xin'Zhao, Kayle etc.

Edit: Went into a game, I expanded upon some of the points.

Ravagestar

10-19-2012

Thank you for your help