Need help with judgement calls

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hirumonogatari

10-19-2012

There are many situations where I do not know the best course of action. Thought i'd share some situations i've encountered and maybe others have faced the same dilemma.

Exhibit A: you've just won a mid-game teamfight in mid, losing 3 allies while killing 4 enemies. the enemy APC is barely alive but has retreated safely, your bruiser has about 1/3 hp left while your ADC has about 75% hp. everyone else is dead. (everyone's levels are around 11-13)

obviously you should push an objective. but which one? baron is out of the question. Should you go for the mid inner turret? or dragon?

Jeyce

10-19-2012

Take down mid turret (you get gold for that as well) then recall. Depending how late in the game you are you could take down dragon after the turret. Before making decisions like this make sure you know the respawn times on your enemies.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-19-2012

At this point in the game, I'd actually favor bottom lane turrets. I mean, it'd depend on where minion waves are at and such, but if both lanes have minions just approaching the turret, I think it's far better to push a bottom lane turret down.

Here's the thing, bottom lane spreads the pressure better. Yes, mid lane is the fast lane in terms of getting minions from base to objective, but... all else being equal, minions attacking bottom lane inhibitor turret or inhibitor is better than mid or top, and why? It's farther from Baron.

If you can cause bottom lane to be something for the enemy team to regularly worry about, you're taking at least one of their players out of the equation when it comes to contesting Baron. Either that player defends their bottom lane from minions, or they lose their inhibitor. Top and mid lane are close enough that champions could go back and forth between defending lane and Baron. But bottom lane is just far enough that by the time they walk to Baron and back, their could be real trouble in bottom lane. Especially if you send someone on your team on the offensive to split push that lane.

lastchancexi

10-19-2012

Find the tower you can push down (whichever one has allied minions close to it) and go for it. B just before they respawn, getting two towers instead of one can be huge.

MeltedWater

10-20-2012

I hate when you ace the enemy team, noone will be up for 40 seconds, and pple recall instead of pushing. -_-

Aqualisk

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
There are many situations where I do not know the best course of action. Thought i'd share some situations i've encountered and maybe others have faced the same dilemma.

Exhibit A: you've just won a mid-game teamfight in mid, losing 3 allies while killing 4 enemies. the enemy APC is barely alive but has retreated safely, your bruiser has about 1/3 hp left while your ADC has about 75% hp. everyone else is dead. (everyone's levels are around 11-13)

obviously you should push an objective. but which one? baron is out of the question. Should you go for the mid inner turret? or dragon?
Well you can't make decisions for other players. When that happens you can offer advice but it's up to the surviving carry. Consider that if the fighter goes b and comes back while your ADC is pushing they can usually secure a kill and give themselves an advantage.

Macro decision making is the most difficult part of League of Legends. People like to focus on champion picks, item builds, and things like last hitting strategies, but really it's things like knowing when to push, when to harass, and when to engage that are the most important to winning a game.

The best course of option is to be highly critical of your own game. It's important to understand, for example, when you should push bottom lane either for a gank or to force a dragon. If your jungler is waiting to gank bottom lane through your lane (assuming tri-bush is warded) you should push your lane out so they can sneak into a bush while simultaneously not being too aggressive and giving your jungler's plan away. This part of League of Legends is difficult and unfortunately there's no easy to solve this.

It's always easier to critique others and for this reason I suggest you get a replay program like LoL recorder and watch your own games. It's usually highly obvious when you made a mistake and it serves as a strong learning tool. Try not to focus on what your team members are doing and instead focus on your own gameplay. There's always more you can do!

Hirumonogatari

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualisk View Post
Well you can't make decisions for other players. When that happens you can offer advice but it's up to the surviving carry. Consider that if the fighter goes b and comes back while your ADC is pushing they can usually secure a kill and give themselves an advantage.

Macro decision making is the most difficult part of League of Legends. People like to focus on champion picks, item builds, and things like last hitting strategies, but really it's things like knowing when to push, when to harass, and when to engage that are the most important to winning a game.

The best course of option is to be highly critical of your own game. It's important to understand, for example, when you should push bottom lane either for a gank or to force a dragon. If your jungler is waiting to gank bottom lane through your lane (assuming tri-bush is warded) you should push your lane out so they can sneak into a bush while simultaneously not being too aggressive and giving your jungler's plan away. This part of League of Legends is difficult and unfortunately there's no easy to solve this.

It's always easier to critique others and for this reason I suggest you get a replay program like LoL recorder and watch your own games. It's usually highly obvious when you made a mistake and it serves as a strong learning tool. Try not to focus on what your team members are doing and instead focus on your own gameplay. There's always more you can do!
i see that i've failed to be clear in my own question. I usually play bot ADC, so i'm the one stuck in these situations most of the time. and i would like to know what the best response or decision is. obviously recalling to base and not pushing is the worst idea, but which one out of the two objectives should be pursued?

i definitely like the idea of bot turret. i will give it more thought in future if the situation arises.

also, i'd like to mention (again) that as this is mid game, most players are around level 11-13. this means the respawn timer is about 30 seconds or so. you will not have time to complete two objectives at once, hence the dilemma.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2012

I agree with what Jeyce said, I'd push down a turret and then back off (the step that most people forget!). If the enemy turrets have been weakened you might be able to pick two of them or take one down and then push another lane hard, but keep an eye on the enemy team's respawn timers and make sure that once they are back up that you wrapping up what you are doing. You might even use the last ten or twenty seconds of the enemy's respawn time to recall and do some quick shopping.