Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Yorick...overrated?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GunflameSmurf

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Warrrrax:
Not sure you really need to necro a 4 month old topic to add your 2 cents but whatever makes you happy I guess.

During laning, Yorick usually faces someone who is either Ranged, or Melee.

Vs the ranged dudes, he has no gapcloser so he spams W/E endlessly.
Vs the melee dude, his melee is usually outmatched by theirs so he spams W/E endlessly.

Yes is possible to use Q to hit a minion and get a slight speed bump but that isnt very reliable to say the least and teh speed bump isnt that amazing and it takes a second to find the minion wait for autoattack/Q then go where you wanted to.


Since this was posted I havent seen much Yorick at all. It doesnt help that his Ult is relatively bad on Ezreal who is the most played ADC by far.


You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Say you are fighting XXX melee champion...What do you do?

- XXX melee champion gets close to CS minions
- You run to XXXX and unload your combo. Autoattack->Q->W->E
- Then run around to avoid skill shots or just run away.
- While you are running around your ghouls are attacking him ...
- Usually each ghoul will get 2 attacks at 35% your AD it is equivalent to 6*35%= 210%.
- So basically you hit XXXX with 4 attacks + bonus damage from all your spells.
- XXX can stick around and fight you or can retreat. If they stick around ghouls will get an extra.

If you manage to freeze your lane near your turret... all you have to do is last hit with Q a minion, then run and use W+E to catch the enemy.

Yorick with muramana also does quite a bit of damage to carries and squishy champs.

If I'm playing vs melee champions or skill shot reliant champions I always max out Q before W. I only max out W before Q if I'm against someone ranged like Jayce, or if I'm going mid


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cranshinibon

Member

02-13-2013

Yorick is a great utility and early game lane bully. A lot of people attempt to roll him out as the new FOTM carry champ (I did as well) but they forget to realize his entire build is meant to harass top or do jungle while building enough sustain to deal with team fights or to burn down the ADC or APC.

I usually play him top lane (as most other people) and stay in lane long enough to build up some items from CS, push the tower slowly until eventually I wear it down and/or the top laner abandons top for a split second to go gank mid or bot. Once that happens i make a point to be in team fights and ensure that my carry survives another round or slowing/harassing champs low on health. He does really good cleanup because his E does good dmg on casting.

Only thing I wish was that the ult would attack whomever Yorick was attacking, I've noticed that sometimes it just bugs out and stands there or gets stuck running in circles by creeps (as with the ghouls) If the ghouls would go through the remaining creeps and ignore anything it would be fine


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ravenous Geese

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Warrrrax:
Not sure you really need to necro a 4 month old topic to add your 2 cents but whatever makes you happy I guess.

During laning, Yorick usually faces someone who is either Ranged, or Melee.

Vs the ranged dudes, he has no gapcloser so he spams W/E endlessly.
Vs the melee dude, his melee is usually outmatched by theirs so he spams W/E endlessly.

Yes is possible to use Q to hit a minion and get a slight speed bump but that isnt very reliable to say the least and teh speed bump isnt that amazing and it takes a second to find the minion wait for autoattack/Q then go where you wanted to.


Since this was posted I havent seen much Yorick at all. It doesnt help that his Ult is relatively bad on Ezreal who is the most played ADC by far.

This is one of those cringeworthy posts you come across on the forums every now and then.

If all you do is spam W and E in lane as Yorick then you haven't come close to realising the champion's potential.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tim Allen Talon

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Warrrrax:
Not sure you really need to necro a 4 month old topic to add your 2 cents but whatever makes you happy I guess.

During laning, Yorick usually faces someone who is either Ranged, or Melee.

Vs the ranged dudes, he has no gapcloser so he spams W/E endlessly.
Vs the melee dude, his melee is usually outmatched by theirs so he spams W/E endlessly.

Yes is possible to use Q to hit a minion and get a slight speed bump but that isnt very reliable to say the least and teh speed bump isnt that amazing and it takes a second to find the minion wait for autoattack/Q then go where you wanted to.


Since this was posted I havent seen much Yorick at all. It doesnt help that his Ult is relatively bad on Ezreal who is the most played ADC by far.


well of course you face someone who is ranged or melee.... if your not facing someone who is ranged or melee then your playing with yourself

and yorick is a up close fighter

He is not out matched by other melee

did you read his passive?

If you're sitting there "LAWL SPAMMING W AND E EVERY MATCH UP K"

you're doing it wrong

and to me and a few posters above it looks like you have never played yorick

and why the fuk would a mobile karthus passive be bad on anyone?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cenerae

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Yorick's entire job is to annoy the hell out of the enemy team. He's naturally beefy, he has self-sustain, he has an aoe slow with a ghost that also slows, and if he can actually manage to get into melee range, he's somewhat difficult to shake loose since he then also has a speed boost. His burst sucks, but his sustained DPS is respectable.

And this is without factoring in his ult. With the current popularity of assassins and bruisers that can dive the back row and smash carries (Zed and Vi in particular), someone like Yorick would seem to then be a decent pick. Why? Because your ult will do work. Carry getting instakilled during Zed's ult despite you trying to peel for him? That's allright, he'll come back long enough to fight out the teamfight. Carry is safe and well positioned? Now you have two carries in the teamfight and you get to appreciate why Mordekaiser loves to get carry ghosts.

He may tend to get a poor score because he's not really a huge threat by himself, but his ult changes games if used properly. And since score is irrelevant if you're doing your job properly, you can afford to keep dying for your team, while being a generally annoying tanky bastard.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
GunflameSmurf:
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Say you are fighting XXX melee champion...What do you do?

- XXX melee champion gets close to CS minions
- You run to XXXX and unload your combo. Autoattack->Q->W->E
- Then run around to avoid skill shots or just run away.
- While you are running around your ghouls are attacking him ...
- Usually each ghoul will get 2 attacks at 35% your AD it is equivalent to 6*35%= 210%.
- So basically you hit XXXX with 4 attacks + bonus damage from all your spells.
- XXX can stick around and fight you or can retreat. If they stick around ghouls will get an extra.

If you manage to freeze your lane near your turret... all you have to do is last hit with Q a minion, then run and use W+E to catch the enemy.



If you already do significant damage with your W/E combo safely at range, why would you bother to get close and risk an unfavorable trade?
All you have in addition to W/E is your Q and autoattack. Sometimes it is worthwhile at full health since you can then hang back after a trade and lifesteal it all back.
But if you W/E, then use Q on a minion to catch Riven you are an idiot. You will have nothing but an autoattack and she will turn around and give you a Stun, Triple Sword,triplemelee beatdown for your efforts. As will Rene and Irelia and several other champs who have solely melee kits.


Nobody is saying Yorick sucks balls or anything. Only that he's not the be-all-end-all that many consider him to be. I don't think he deserved the last round of nerfs without some kind of mid/endgame compensation such as scaling Ghoul attack speed with level or something.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

relazar

Junior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Warrrrax:
If you already do significant damage with your W/E combo safely at range, why would you bother to get close and risk an unfavorable trade?
All you have in addition to W/E is your Q and autoattack. Sometimes it is worthwhile at full health since you can then hang back after a trade and lifesteal it all back.
But if you W/E, then use Q on a minion to catch Riven you are an idiot. You will have nothing but an autoattack and she will turn around and give you a Stun, Triple Sword,triplemelee beatdown for your efforts. As will Rene and Irelia and several other champs who have solely melee kits.


Nobody is saying Yorick sucks balls or anything. Only that he's not the be-all-end-all that many consider him to be. I don't think he deserved the last round of nerfs without some kind of mid/endgame compensation such as scaling Ghoul attack speed with level or something.


I like him as is, But seriously who harasses with W? It's ineffective damage for the mana when E is like uber spam able and gives you back health. I max E>Q>w usually only point in w so I have a LITTLE more kill potential. But overall yorick is fun as heck man.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ravenous Geese

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Warrrrax:
If you already do significant damage with your W/E combo safely at range, why would you bother to get close and risk an unfavorable trade?
All you have in addition to W/E is your Q and autoattack. Sometimes it is worthwhile at full health since you can then hang back after a trade and lifesteal it all back.
But if you W/E, then use Q on a minion to catch Riven you are an idiot. You will have nothing but an autoattack and she will turn around and give you a Stun, Triple Sword,triplemelee beatdown for your efforts. As will Rene and Irelia and several other champs who have solely melee kits.


Nobody is saying Yorick sucks balls or anything. Only that he's not the be-all-end-all that many consider him to be. I don't think he deserved the last round of nerfs without some kind of mid/endgame compensation such as scaling Ghoul attack speed with level or something.

You realise Yorick gets stronger with each ghoul summoned? He's at his best when going all in; there aren't many champions who can duel Yorick, especially early.

Like I said if you're playing him as just a W/E spammer you're wasting everyone's time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Quote:
relazar:
I like him as is, But seriously who harasses with W? It's ineffective damage for the mana when E is like uber spam able and gives you back health. I max E>Q>w usually only point in w so I have a LITTLE more kill potential. But overall yorick is fun as heck man.


W does ok damage, but its main strength is the Slow and extra range it has over E. Dropping a W/E ensures that they will eat 3 or 4 ghoul attacks. Just spamming E will mean that they will be able to retreat and only eat 1 ghoul attack. The ghouls are what do much of the damage especially at lower levels of W/E.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hentai Bagel

Member

02-14-2013

He is never overrated. Back in early Season 2, there are probably a chance of seeing yorick 1/1000 times in Ranked. TheRainMan(Former TSM member) played against Yorick in high elo and was outlaned because Yorick's skills are quite harassing especially early game. He complimented the Yorick and soon makes Yorick a common champion. Once Yorick gets a lot of mana and tank items, the rest of the game is in your hands.


12