Yorick...overrated?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

During world championships I saw him picked a decent amount, but he really didn't do much of anything. I am starting to think he is overrated after his many nerfs.

Yorick has two longrange nukes/summons which he relies on for damage and sustain. He never really uses his Q and his Ult sucks (for laning). This makes him kind of a boring champ because there is no other real option other than maxing W/E.

Yorick can't actually KILL anyone, unless they are idiots. 12 sec cooldown on his Slow and no real Ult ensure that he doesn't actually snowball by killing anyone. Unlike many good top laners like Irelia, Riven, etc, he just isn't a threat. He pushes enemies back to base with harass if they can't outsustain it, but thats it.

Lategame he is mostly used just to clone the carry. However, several of the best current carries don't really work all that well when cloned. Ezreal's clone sucks bad, Corki's isnt very good, KogMaw is mediocre.
His summons are ok for blocking skillshots I guess but their damage falls off really badly due to a flat attack speed and no crit, and they get killed by AoE effects too easily.

I wish Riot would compensate Yorick somehow. Go ahead and nerf and adjust his laning ability which makes sense, but add some other play options for mid to lategame. Just making his Q work like Garen's, where it gives an immediate speedboost would be a huge benefit for him, allowing him to be more aggressive and have another viable laning strategy other than spam W/E endlessly.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

His play style is more like "You don't focus my carry"

You can always run a hyper carry with yorick top, then a mid that is strong in team fight such as Cass, Gragas, or Kennen to ensure that your carry will do all the damage, and even if the carry got killed, the Yorick ult is there for clean up.

Overall he is team utility pick, not just top.

Amoc

10-19-2012

I think he's better for premades than for solo queue. He's obviously a really strong farmer and laner and can mess with the enemy top's farm, but you'd never pick him for his kill potential.

I like his kit and enjoy playing him but you have to rely on your team to kill things and that's often a problem in solo queue...

Ramachese

10-19-2012

I love Yorrick. As much as I have a main (I really don't) he is it. While his late game is not as sexy as some he can actually add a good bit to a team fight. You don't clone an ADC to get the extra damage - you clone him so that if he dies he gets another 10 seconds to wreck revenge on those who killed him. In early and mid game his ult is great to use on himself to turn 1v1's into an effective 2v1 in your favor.

I've won my last 5 of 6 games played with him (not games played). In one game I went 18/4/17.

powwder

10-19-2012

this is why you play yorik

1) he will almost never lose top. its impossible to lose top wunless you get outplayed in which case you would have lost with anyone else.

2) there is no real reason to target him late game because his damage kinda sucks and he builds tanky so you ignore him but he does decent damage.

3) he ults your carry so basically its like a free GA on him.

lastchancexi

10-19-2012

His nerfs really hurt him. One of the biggest things about him, besides his ult that made him useful in late game is that his ghouls messed up pathing really bad that it was impossible to lane against him. Now that his laning is balanced (unlike a certain other Rengar we know), he's pretty much fine.

Aqualisk

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
During world championships I saw him picked a decent amount, but he really didn't do much of anything. I am starting to think he is overrated after his many nerfs.

Yorick has two longrange nukes/summons which he relies on for damage and sustain. He never really uses his Q and his Ult sucks (for laning). This makes him kind of a boring champ because there is no other real option other than maxing W/E.

Yorick can't actually KILL anyone, unless they are idiots. 12 sec cooldown on his Slow and no real Ult ensure that he doesn't actually snowball by killing anyone. Unlike many good top laners like Irelia, Riven, etc, he just isn't a threat. He pushes enemies back to base with harass if they can't outsustain it, but thats it.

Lategame he is mostly used just to clone the carry. However, several of the best current carries don't really work all that well when cloned. Ezreal's clone sucks bad, Corki's isnt very good, KogMaw is mediocre.
His summons are ok for blocking skillshots I guess but their damage falls off really badly due to a flat attack speed and no crit, and they get killed by AoE effects too easily.

I wish Riot would compensate Yorick somehow. Go ahead and nerf and adjust his laning ability which makes sense, but add some other play options for mid to lategame. Just making his Q work like Garen's, where it gives an immediate speedboost would be a huge benefit for him, allowing him to be more aggressive and have another viable laning strategy other than spam W/E endlessly.
In the examples you're sighting Yorick was counter picked by Nidalee. AD Nidalee is super strong and M5 should have banned her or picked a stronger early game champion to force her out of lane.

In a normal game Yorick isn't to be underestimated. Once he gets a manamune he'll pretty much harass anyone without significant sustain out of a lane. He won't carry a game, but he'll be a big problem both through his ability to CS unchallenged and push constantly. His ultimate is also a huge factor in team fights. An ADC that can rise from the grave(twice if they have a GA) is a huge disadvantage for the enemy team and a big boon for your's.

In my opinion Yorick's biggest problem lies in the fact that he has very little decision making. His best tactic is always to spam ghouls. You don't benefit from holding on to your to Omen of War or Pestilence. The best option is always to use them on cooldown and even his passive rewards this kind of playstyle. I suspect he's on the board for an eventual rework but until then he's a strong counter to any farm dependent top laner.

Warrrrax

10-20-2012

I guess I am not saying he is Bad per se, but just that he seems very one dimensional. I totally agree that when I play him I always feel like my job is to beat their solo down, not make myself into a threat.

I would just like to see him lose some power in certain areas and gain it in other places so that he does have more decision-making. Would love to see his ghouls start with some base AS and MS, and both of them increase as he levels so that his ghouls maybe have 2.0AS @18 and can do some actual damage later on. Having his Ult extend the life of his ghouls by +1 second per rank would be a nice passive too, to add a bit more endgame viability, or at least encourage AD. Q giving immediate speed boost would help too. All these would be ways to control his early game power and give him more lategame power other than a walking Clone Factory.

Anyways, many toplane champs can carry a game. Irelia is a great laner, good sustain, and how many times have you seen her get fed and dominate? All the time! Ditto with Riven or Olaf or many many many other top laners.
But Yorick by definition is not going to ever carry or dominate. Theres no way he will even get a kill top and snowball without assistance. He doesn't lose a lane, but doesnt convincingly win the lane either.

Pyrenaphen

02-08-2013

I don't understand the "he doesn't really use his Q at all" part. E and Q are the two most used ghouls if you're laning and fighting properly. Can Q a nearby minion on a chase/escape as well, and coupled with your W it goes together as some nice move speed fckery.

turns and XvX into an (X+1)vX - best ult in game.

Warrrrax

02-08-2013

Not sure you really need to necro a 4 month old topic to add your 2 cents but whatever makes you happy I guess.

During laning, Yorick usually faces someone who is either Ranged, or Melee.

Vs the ranged dudes, he has no gapcloser so he spams W/E endlessly.
Vs the melee dude, his melee is usually outmatched by theirs so he spams W/E endlessly.

Yes is possible to use Q to hit a minion and get a slight speed bump but that isnt very reliable to say the least and teh speed bump isnt that amazing and it takes a second to find the minion wait for autoattack/Q then go where you wanted to.

Since this was posted I havent seen much Yorick at all. It doesnt help that his Ult is relatively bad on Ezreal who is the most played ADC by far.