Feedback on the Rune System

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mittsies

07-31-2009

First off I want to say that presentation of Runes is, without doubt, complete ****. I mean, why would you even put such a god awful system into the beta? Yes, I'm aware that it is by no means the finished product but it's not even a good start. If it's completely revamped (which it should be) then why would you daunt us with the repetitive, mindlessly grind of combining random runes to get more random runes with no patterns whatsoever.

Let's look at why a system like this should be in League of Legends:

• Adds a dramatic level of depth to the game by allowing players to customize their champion's power even further than choosing abilities and items in game.
  • Another random thing people can dump their points/cash into once the game is released.
Let's look at some huge flaws with the system:
  • Not fun to make runes.
  • Rune creation is totally random. What's the point of "combining" runes if you're not even specifically making something? You might as well just have a way to delete all the ****ty runes you don't want to make room for the ones you do want instead of spending hours on end "combining" random runes into other random runes. It would be cool if we knew what we might be making when we combined certain runes -- with some randomness thrown-in, of course, but at least SOME consistency!
  • Possibly adds too much meta-game to the experience. Getting roughly +50% attack speed at level 18 or something of that nature due to the bonuses of runes is an extreme buff compared to a player who does not want to bother with the crafting of runes and wants to jump right into the game. In my opinion, any upsides given should be accompanied by equal downsides so that there is no true advantage -- just customization; however obviously that's not what Riot was going for which is fine by me.
  • Runes have generic, stat-driven bonuses. Even the big Quintessential runes are just stronger versions of Marks/Seals/Glyphs. There are no cool bonuses like "Grants a % Chance for your spells to freeze the target". There are basic bonuses you see here that aren't in the other categories, like gold per second and % dodge; but nevertheless they are still just basic stats you can find in items.
Anyways, onto some changes with the rune system. Currently combining runes just spits out a new, completely random rune. Why not make it so there are recipes you can create -- and not just generic ones, have some cool ones too. Examples:
  • (Tier 1) Mark of Alacrity x2 = (Tier 2) Mark of Alacrity OR (Tier 2) Mark of Haste
  • (Tier 2) Mark of Alacrity x2 = (Tier 3) Mark of Alacrity OR (Tier 3) Mark of Haste
  • (Tier 3) Mark of Alacrity x2 = (Tier 3) Random Rune OR (Tier 4) Special Attack Speed Rune
These special runes would obviously be much more rare and perhaps have a UNIQUE (non-stackable!) effect like "Grants a 5% chance when attacking to increase your attack speed by 10% for 6 seconds." Something powerful, but well worth exerting the extra effort. Rune creations could also get clever and fun when combining different runes:

(T1) Mark of Alacrity + (T1) Mark of Potency =
...any of the following:
(T2) Mark of Alacrity
(T2) Mark of Haste
(T2) Mark of Potency
(T2) Mark of Force
(T2) Mark of Sorcery (UNIQUE: Increases Attack Speed by 0.1% of your Ability Power)

Basically this gives us something to look forward to -- something to specifically try and create when combining runes. This is what makes a rune-crafting kind of system truly fun! I'm sure Riot games has already thought of tons of ideas like this, and my intentions here are NOT to give set-in-stone, specific ideas. I'm trying to spark some thought into this currently dull-as-bricks rune system.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TwoFatNuts

Adjudicator

07-31-2009

Seeing as how they were just put in...what 2 weeks ago, I believe we're supposed to be testing the functionality of the runes, not so much the rune system itself. That being said, I agree with most of the suggested improvements here. Specificallly removing the randomness of the runes and the lack of real "special effects" stemming from the runes. I happen to disagree with the idea that you can get 50% attack speed by end game from runes and even if you could, the matchmaking isn't going to allow someone with a high enough ranking to have unlocked those runes to be matched vs someone who doesnt have access to runes of the same caliber. Also if the rune system is that much of an advantage, the possibility of somone who just decides not to mess with the runes at all, matched up vs a person who uses them to the fullest, is very slim, at least to a high enough frequency to make most games unbalanced.

I also think, however, that the Riot team is way ahead of you and has most of this plotted out and 3/4 ready for implementation.