Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Are Pirate Ryze and Headmistress Fiora really going to stay this fail?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MarsCollective

10-18-2012

I think the word "fail" might be too harsh for what Im trying to say, I mean dont get me wrong, Im happy that you guys made a new skin for Fiora which might even be limited, and well, not too happy about Ryze's one honestly. As much as I like Ryze I dont think he shouldve gotten yet another skin (since already has a legacy skin and 3 limited/unavailable skins, one of them even a harrowing one too) considering there are so many other champs like Fiora who had only 2 skins or even only 1, those wouldve been better options imo.

But the thing is, when you compare the quality between the Ryze and Fiora ones to the quality of the others like Brand's, Maokai's, TF's and Hecarim's, the quality difference is simply absurd.

Which leads to the question.. why?

I kind of hope this either means you are still in the process of making new particles and truly awesome stuff for Ryze/Fiora's skins, or that those skins will cost like 520 RP or less while the others deservedly cost 975 RP or more.

Hell, I wouldnt even be surprised to see Brand's skin costing 1350 RP or even be 1820 RP, because it is quite frankly the most detailed and brutal skin Ive seen in the history of LoL and I dont even play Brand or anything (though I think the spells would have to have different particles and not just recolors if it were to be legendary).

But seeing Brand's skin, and then seeing Ryze's one is just like.. seriously why? Are they going to cost 260 or 520 RP?
Cause as they stand, they are barely even worth that much when compared to the others.

Fiora's model is fine, Ryze's model looks a bit clunky and weird in my opinoin.
Not even sure if a Pirate-theme was the best idea for a champion like him.

Pretty much what this guy commented in page 2 is how I feel aswell:

Quote:
Little Leech:
^^^

I feel like making Ryze's Q a cannonball or something like that is a no-brainer. Not sure how hard that would be to animate, though.

I think my problem with Pirate Ryze is less that he's low-quality and more that he doesn't feel inspired. They used Halloween as an excuse to throw a pirate costume onto a champ that already had a Halloween skin. It would be better if he felt like he was wearing a Halloween costume like Definitely-Not-Blitzcrank or Mundo Mundo but it just doesn't work with his concept and feels very thrown together.

Even still, there's over 100 champs now. I wish they would stop doubling up on the Legendary/Limited skins (Cho'gath, Ryze).

Also this (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=30419791#post30419791) was another reply I liked, has some suggestions of what couldve been done.

Quote:
TL;DR

When you released Draven, you made a promise. I remember very clearly that it was actually a promise and not just 'saying', and this promise consisted on you never going back to the old standard for skins, and that every new skin after that point was going to be Soul Reaver Draven-quality, you raised the bar for the quality of your skins and you did not dissapoint us, you kept your promise until now (though imo you kinda broke that promise too with Rengar's skin).

I just wish you kept your 'new standard of skins' promise into every skin (like you did with Brand/Maok/TF/Hec) and not just in some yes and in some others not so much (Fiora) or not at all (Ryze), or have the price for the last 2 considerably lower than the others, or tell me they are not finished and they will indeed have new particles and great stuff that goes with their Theme, or at least just say anything!

This is specially frustrating when you consider Ryze and Fiora casually dont even have any skins with modified spell particles, while Brand & Maok already do.

EDIT: This thread at the moment of editing this has over 50 upvotes and replies, and 6 pages of people pretty much wondering whats going on, I think we at least deserve some attention!

I know 57 replies isnt much compared to some bigger threads in GD, but honestly I havent seen too many threads in PBE forums that get to this point so quickly and still dont have Red responses, so please stop ignoring us!

PS: In case you are wondering:

What Brand's skin has:

- Completely new model (Zombie themed, looks brutal)
- Completely new and awesome /joke, /taunt, /dance and /laugh animations.
- A well thought autoattack animation relevant to the Zombie theme, which looks just awesome (also new particle on it)
- Different casting animations for every spell
- All spells's particles are colored green
- Leaves green footprints behind him when he walks
- Different voiceovers for when you walk etc
- Different idle animation
- Different (and awesome) death animation
- ?

Id say this skin can easily be 1350 RP or so and its worth the price. If it is 975 RP, even moreso.

What Maokai's skin has:

- New model (Maokai's model themed as some sort of cool Grave-thing)
- DIfferent particles on Q, W, E and R
- New Grave-looking saplings
- Different (and awesome) death animation
- A super awesome new "revive" animation (when you respawn from being dead)
- ?

Easily a 975 RP skin worth the price.

What Hecarim's skin has:

- New (and awesome) model
- Different particles on Q, W, E and R (the fire on W looks insane)
- ?

Possibly 975 RP and Id say worth the price.

What TF's skin has:

- New model, looks pretty neat
- Different autoattack animation
- Different particles for E's proc + the particles that float around TF when it is active
- Different particles for Q and R
- If could be wrong on this but it seems to me that the Pick-A-Card particle when the card is on top of you is also different (the color is slightly darker than usual)
- ?

Possibly 975 RP and worth the price.

What Ryze's skin has:

- Semi-new model (i.e same Ryze model but with Pirate clothes)
- I believe it has a different /joke animation (he drinks from the cask)
- Different casting animation for Q
- ?

Hopefully 520 RP or less in which case could be worth the price if the skin is limited.

What Fiora's skin has:

- Semi-new model (i.e same Fiora model with College-teacher-girl kind of clothes, and her weapon is a Ruler)
- Slightly different animation for /taunt (breaks her ruler-weapon at the end)
- ?

Hopefully 520 RP or less in which case could be worth the price if the skin is limited.

What Fiora's skin could have:

Player XijinChrome made a thread (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2699919) sharing possible suggestions that would improve Fiora's skin, I feel they are solid suggestions so I will post them here aswell for more exposure:

• Joke should change so that she draws something else rather than Teemo (anything halloween related or school related like "A+" or "F+". Or have her whack the ruler onto the palm of her empty hand. I don't know how to explain it.
  • Give her new particles. I saw this awesome suggestion in another thread about how her ult should conjure up pieces of paper (like Corporate Mundo's Q). Another particle suggestion should be for her basic attack animation: have pieces of wood flying out of her meter stick. Hell, it can just be for her critical hit animation... or BOTH!
  • This isn't much but you can give her a new idle/standing position. Have her hold a clipboard and writing on it or have her reading a book. She's a teacher/headmistress after all.
  • Her death animation can change too. When she dies, paperwork (homework maybe) could fly out of her as she falls to the ground.

Quote:
IceFire360:

How about when Fiora lunges, a flow of papers fall out and follow in her path.

Also the piece of wood flying from the meter stick could appear after a riposte.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: An unofficial source told me that apparently Brand's skin will be semi-legendary costing 1350 RP, which makes perfect sense.

If that is the case, then that could either mean the rest of the skins are all 975 RP, or that the 'lesser quality' skins like Ryze/Fiora will be 520 RP and the others 975 RP. That would make sense, though I havent seen a 520 RP skin since last year literally, so this may not happen and they might all be 975 RP (this is just me speculating though).

If they are all 975 RP, I want to know your opinion on it.

Would you be ok with Maokai's/Hecarim's/TF's skin costing the same as Ryze's/Fiora's? Would you think it is a fair price for all?

(Also, if you have any suggestions or ideas of your own of what could be improved from any of these 2 skins, share them and Ill add them quoting you here!)

Dreampod

10-18-2012

According to a Riot post there are supposed to be alternate audio effects for the Headmistress Fiora skin to sound like getting smacked around with a ruler rather than a sword but they aren't implemented yet. Not sure if that brings the quality level up enough but I, at least, find the idea of alternate sounds effects for mid-priced skins intriguing.

Wesilii

10-18-2012

Quote:
Dreampod:
According to a Riot post there are supposed to be alternate audio effects for the Headmistress Fiora skin to sound like getting smacked around with a ruler rather than a sword but they aren't implemented yet. Not sure if that brings the quality level up enough but I, at least, find the idea of alternate sounds effects for mid-priced skins intriguing.

I'd be cool with that.

But I really hope they do more; add more voice overs -- lines that fit the theme of her skin. And maybe new particles on at least her ult. Have school-related stuff pop up when she uses it. Just add SOMETHING more...right now it really feels subpar.

MarsCollective

10-18-2012

Quote:
Dreampod:

Not bad, but meh at most honestly.

I mean, if it was just normal skins released at random moments of the year, sure that idea would be neat.

But these, coupled with the Christmas skins, imo are the most awaited 7 to 12ish skins of the entire game and year and the ones people are most excited about because they are limited.

Specially this year that Riot decided to level up their skin making skills and set a new standard for them, Im sure a lot of other people was as excited and impatient as me to see what awesomeness they could pull off this year with these skins.

And the moment I saw Zombie Brand and how insanely detailed he is I thought "If every other harrowing skin is like this, they might aswell make them all 1350 RP, this is crazy good", hoping to see the same quality in the other skins. Then Pirate Ryze skin comes and well.. you know the rest of the story.

Also, even if Fiora does get new audio, Ryze still gets nothing :/

Quote:
Tidus0:
I'd be cool with that.

But I really hope they do more; add more voice overs -- lines that fit the theme of her skin. And maybe new particles on at least her ult. Have school-related stuff pop up when she uses it. Just add SOMETHING more...right now it really feels subpar.

Not only does it feel subpar, but it is exactly what you said, there is just so much creative stuff they could do with a School-themed Fiora, and so much other stuff with a Pirate-themed Ryze, yet they did nothing more than a remodel, or barely anything in the case of Fiora.

This is Mistletoe LeBlanc (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1607049) all over again, except this year is worse, because they promised us a new standard, and Im not seeing it in Ryze/Fiora skins..

SpadeCA

10-19-2012

Quote:
Tidus0:
I'd be cool with that.

You know how expensive it is to hire a voice actor to do voice overs for one skin? Alot.
I think a few reds have touched this already. Be happy that champs are getting a wider range of skins than nothing. Animation isn't something you can do in a day either. So, even if they did what you wanted, it could take another 2 weeks - 2months for the skin to be redone and actually added.

I admit, they aren't that great of skins but, some the skins for some champs aren't either.

KesslerCOIL

10-19-2012

What do you expect to be added to pirate ryze? not like you can change her particles to pirate theme

MarsCollective

10-19-2012

Quote:
lagNZ:
What do you expect to be added to pirate ryze? not like you can change her particles to pirate theme

Of course you can.

I mean, even a recolor on the particles would be just fine, but not even that.

Quote:
SpadeCA:
You know how expensive it is to hire a voice actor to do voice overs for one skin? Alot.
I think a few reds have touched this already. Be happy that champs are getting a wider range of skins than nothing. Animation isn't something you can do in a day either. So, even if they did what you wanted, it could take another 2 weeks - 2months for the skin to be redone and actually added.

I admit, they aren't that great of skins but, some the skins for some champs aren't either.

2 weeks - 2 months? Where are you getting this from exactly?

Because as far as I remember, last year's Nocturne harrowing skin's particles were changed in less than 1 week of the people complaining about them.

Also, you say some of the skins for some champs arent great either? These are part of them, these are them. These are not even good compared to the quality of the others.

And seriously dude, how can you defend Riot when they are lying to your face directly? They promised they would never go back to the old skin standard which had nothing more than remodels, yet they come with 2 of the most expected skins of the year and they are just old standard skins? Remodels? And you still seriously defend that?

"Be happy that champs are getting a wider range of skins than nothing"

I prefer nothing than being lied and laughed at in my face with such garbage.

Brokroma

10-19-2012

Quote:
MarsCollective:
I prefer nothing than being lied and laughed at in my face with such garbage.

That statement does not make grammatical sense.

MarsCollective

10-19-2012

Quote:
Brokroma:
That statement does not make grammatical sense.

Oh Im sorry I didnt know this was an english only game and I had to have perfect grammar?

How is this relevant to this whole discussion?

English is nowhere near my main language and Im selftought on it, all the english and grammar I know literally comes from gaming, so Im sorry if I have grammatical errors, but please stick to the topic as this is completely irrelevant and uncalled for.

If you were giving me constructive criticism you couldve at least written the sentence in correct grammar, but you didnt, which makes me wonder why would you even post that?

MagikAezy

10-19-2012

Quote:
SpadeCA:

If Riot can give out 2 million dollars for a tournament I think they can afford a voice actor lol.