Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Oh lord why is it so snowbally (I think it's the altars)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerglinator

10-18-2012

Seriously, from what I've played of it, it is a biiiiit too snowbally. I'd mostly blame it on the altars. The function of the altars as side objectives is like Blue or Red Buff...if Blue and Red buff didn't fight back, were granted to your entire team, would not be removed upon dying, and can't be stolen either by kill or by a well-timed Smite. So adding it all up...the most binary and boring side objectives. Heck, Dominion's Storm Shield at least makes you decide ONE team member to take it. They are a bit too boring, and end up creating some sort of snowball effect.

And since the map is compact and symmetrical, the snowballing team seems to end up in control of everything, and that ends up compounding the size of the snowball. That's my analysis so far. Maybe I'm crazy.

Alaya

10-18-2012

The worst thing that can happen in TT is for the game to drag on and take forever.

CAPKillerPepper

10-18-2012

I agree 100%. I feel that the game snowballs from the first fight. If you loose first fight and they get both alters, the game snowballs in their favor from that point on. A nerf on the damage buff as well as a reduction in the lock timer for the alter would be a good idea. It would allow for a chance to recover from the first team fight and not get facerolled from the damage buff in later fights.

CAPKillerPepper

10-18-2012

Quote:
draganviper:
The worst thing that can happen in TT is for the game to drag on and take forever.

Ok but its no fun to have the game snowball continually against you from the first fight either.

67chrome

10-18-2012

Eeeehhhh, I wouldn't blame the altars for that, TT has always had that one team snowballs completely out of control aspect.

Zerglinator

10-18-2012

Quote:
67chrome:
Eeeehhhh, I wouldn't blame the altars for that, TT has always had that one team snowballs completely out of control aspect.

Well then, the Altars certainly aren't helping with that.

kwizzeh

10-18-2012

Quote:
67chrome:
If their goal was too remove SOME of the snowbally elements from the TT-Classic, they failed.

67chrome

10-18-2012

Quote:
Zerglinator:
Well then, the Altars certainly aren't helping with that.

Quote:
kwizzeh:
If their goal was too remove SOME of the snowbally elements from the TT-Classic, they failed.

Well, that's true on both accounts. I'm just saying the altar's aren't the root cause. Dominion doesn't snowball out of control though, largely because of the increased passive gold gains, passive experience gains, and reduced kill/assists bounty and death timers. IMO, the altars do allow snowballs, for the most part I think they're interesting and largely fine as is though.

I think with both altars controlled you get 10% AP, 10% AD, and +4 gold per kill, though I could be wrong on that (all 4 game's I've played in PBE were pretty fast-paced without much time to stop and read, and solo games were disabled when I got down to testing it)

Unlike Dominion TT can go on indefinitely though, so it's nice when one team gets ahead from good plays.

The main change I'd like to see to address that is move the towers closer together (or add 1 more tower to each lane), so that loosing early still gives you some map control rather than loosing out on the entire jungle when your tower drops. That should help low-mobility CS reliant champions as well, and help them deal with gank-heavy snowbally champions earlier by giving them less map control and a lower range to pull off kills.

HideyoshiX

10-18-2012

Quote:
kwizzeh:

Learn to pick a proper team composition so you don't lose level 1s entirely.

Altars are balanced so that if one team has them, they must defend them- they cannot lock them again until the enemy team has had control of them. Use it to your advantage.

Their goal shouldn't have been to remove some of the snowbally elements either- Twisted Treeline turned a snowball into water with turtling. Now you can shatter through that if the enemy team doesn't know how to play with a disadvantage or how to react to invades.

Level 1 snowballs -everything- out of control. This goes for Dominion, Summoner's Rift and Twisted Treeline both. You get a whole item over your opposition, and good players will just push and push and push that item advantage until it gets bigger and bigger, hence snowball.

If anything, the altar mechanics give the team being snowballed against a chance. You get more gold if you have one. Teamwork prevails.

Calling to remove the altars before any further balance changes appear is wrong and stupid. Laying out why you think altars give a team a major advantage that can't be overcome by teamwork and human skill/error factors, and what can be done to help alleviate it is what would be the smart thing to do.

Obligatory HURR DUERRRRRRRRrrr

HideyoshiX

10-18-2012

Quote:
67chrome:
Dominion doesn't snowball out of control though

It does. Riot nerfed a lot of things and buffed a lot of things in Dominion for months after its release to prevent rubber banding.

If you win that first fight and the team doesn't derp, top lane can be yours for practically the whole match.