Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gath Immortal

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilian View Post
Its going to fail...Not because there's no interest. Its going to fail because there's no interest in "renting" content.
precisely

TeamDumbledore

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.
It doesn't make sense to have a temporary plan to cost actual money. If you wanted to implement an idea and test it, then only make it worth IP. You will find only a very small margin would even consider spending real money on a product that doesn't even have a lifespan of more than 7 days...does this hurt players? you may say no because you are a Rioter, but long term its "anti-fun" and a bad business model.

Disband

10-18-2012

Asking the community first is generally the way to go.

Jonez v

10-18-2012

If you are just testing them make them free.

Siegman

10-18-2012

It's not power, it's cosmetic so it doesn't upset me overly, but I'd much prefer a permanent skin for a fixed price.

That said, it's cool to see some new customizations to spice up SR.

PDiddy

10-18-2012

You mean you did something for the players, made them available for free (ip) and now you want to "test it out"?

WHO the **** do you think you are???

On on a side note, are the skins client side?

AjabikiFTW

10-18-2012

I understand your need testing on your customer base, but if we don't like the idea of temp ward skins, but love the idea of permenant ward skin, can we just tell you in this post. That way you get those "I hate renting but would love to own" into your data?

notFREEfood

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltai View Post
The problem with is what you're telling me right now is the EXACT reason PBE was made.
Wrong.

PBE functions differently. PBE is for finding bugs, not testing item marketability. The proper practice for PBE is to buy new stuff in order to test it, not to buy new shiny stuff because you want it.

VMan7

10-18-2012

It's terribly greedy of you to make them cost RP and temporary.

HunterHagen

10-18-2012

Combining an immediate time activation on a limited time only purchase is the worst business model for the player.

At the very least let us activate each one on our own terms. We cant always play week after week. What if we want to use them on March but can't play for January or February?
At you really going to make us choose to sacrifice two months of payment like that?