Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zelis

11-28-2012

so how long do we have to wait before we hear more about ward skins and how this terrible experiment went

Phil Nye

11-28-2012

Yes, I was looking for this thread. So, how did this experiment go Riot?

Nonamie

11-28-2012

they can't finish yet i still have 40ish more weeks of my skin

Zelis

11-28-2012

they dont need to wait for them to run out to know how many people bought into this temp garbage

Queso Queen

11-28-2012

I dont see how thinking ward skins wouldn't do well.

People like being different and showing off specially when it comes to flaunting money, skins do that no matter what it is that is skinned. If i could pay to have a custom skinned UI for example I would. The only thing that hinders your 'test' is not making things permanent, but seeing from past posts you understand the folly in this test, so congratz on that one.

I still would like the ability to pay for custom UI themes though, the one thing that makes this game get a little boring is the repetative view going on. I go between colorblind and regular just to change it up on colors as a freshen up, I am hoping that we get an x-mass map this year too ( no halloween?)

Qsario

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Therefore, we had a couple choices. We could have done months of research to develop and justify a launch plan for making ward skins a permanent part of the game. Instead, we came up with a plan that could be implemented in weeks and that would give us much more relevant information (although admittedly not perfect). This experimentation process may be somewhat more painful in the short term, but a few years from now I have no doubt that our game will be better because of these types of tests, not in spite of them.
Dare I ask what you planned to do about unviable ward skins if players kept them in their inventory but never used them?

Zer0Limit

11-28-2012

Dumbest idea ever by riot. Make it permanent and everyone is happy.

Krynul

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.
With all due respect I was excited as HELL to get ward skins for IP. I was thinking "Yay! I can buy something, with IP for an event, so my wards will look special forevermore!" When I found out they were just temporary I was immediately disappointed and shocked at what I considered a blatant waste of IP. Why would I ever spend IP on something temporary? Hell I consider IP and Experience boosts colossal wastes of money as it is and would only ever buy Skins and MAYBE some champions I desperately wanted with RP.

Long story short I expect you'll get very skewed results on the interest levels of ward skins the factors you're presenting are VERY different from what the intended reality will be.

Factors to keep in mind:
IP vs RP costs
Permanent vs Temporary
Event Exclusivity vs Commonplace

As someone who spends very little on RP, I was excited to get something special with my IP. The prospect of it being temporary and now an RP purchase ruined the idea for me.

Gelocity

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Death View Post
Make them permanent.

No seriously. You're saying it as if it's an "experiment", but did you consider that buying the bat ward for example costs you MORE than 8000 RP!!!!(!) to have it for the year?

That's simply just horrible and comes off as extremely greedy.

Also what do you mean you don't want players to have them all year long because it would be out of place, when you're selling them for a year max anyway?

Does that mean I can't use my Frankentibbers Annie if it's not Halloween cuz it would be out of place?

Makes absolutely no sense and this whole thing is just effed. I'm sure that a lot of players including me hate the "renting" model. It's something that should have never happened.

The only reason I spent around $1.5k on this game so far is because I KEEP what I buy, FOREVER. If I don't there's absolutely no reason to ever buy anything again. And to think I was excited about these ward skins.

The fun part is owning something so collectible as a ward skin, and showing it off whenever it's NOT Halloween. It makes you feel good, it makes other players be like "wow cool", etc.

None of that is possible now.

Well said good Sir. Agree with everything you say.

Pinoy Ako

12-08-2012

Plz make it permanent Riot